Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Railey...

I was going to call in to the post-game show last night, but got stage fright.

There was talk about the fact that Railey had 3 fouls in 4 minutes. I think that Railey was put in the game to foul. The second he was put on the floor he was all over his dude - and inconspicuously. You would think if Fred didn't want him to foul- he would have been taken out after the second foul. His playing time wasn't at a point where we needed to foul, so I'm not sure why he would do this- but Jordan was not trying to hide the fact he intended to get called... Is there any merit to this idea?

Walk On
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Re: Railey...

I don't see any merit to that idea because it doesn't serve any purpose for him just to foul. More likely he was told that the Morris' were killing us down low and to go in there and be aggresive. You could see at one point Godfrey did the same thing on offense twice in a row.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneK8 View Post

There was talk about the fact that Railey had 3 fouls in 4 minutes. I think that Railey was put in the game to foul. The second he was put on the floor he was all over his dude - and inconspicuously. You would think if Fred didn't want him to foul- he would have been taken out after the second foul. His playing time wasn't at a point where we needed to foul, so I'm not sure why he would do this- but Jordan was not trying to hide the fact he intended to get called... Is there any merit to this idea?
    I was on the opposite end of the court from JR's 3 fouls, but I thought they looked pretty borderline and similar to what KU was doing to our guards every time they drove into the lane with no calls. What did people who saw them on TV think about it?

Walk On
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think he was just told to be physical and he was. The Morris twins are good players and it will take time for Jordan to develop, but I think he was told to go in and try to hold his own with those two to keep them from getting easy baskets each posession. Melvin was getting a bit worn down in there due to a size mismatch. Physically JR stacked up pretty well but is still learning how to contest shots.

This team really has a "don't back down" attitude. It is really refreshing, to be honest with you, and very fun to watch.

"I loved it dearly for the experiences, for the people. I've never seen people embrace you with love as much as they did when I was in college," he said. "They just opened up their arms. I'm proud to be a Cyclone. They gave me a chance when nobody else would." -Ellis Hobbs III

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 635
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 6

I thought Railey played fine. I think both he and Godfrey were told to play physical and that is what got them in foul trouble. I thought it was interesting how our subs were basically "picked on" by the referees. Godfrey got a couple cheap calls away from the ball and Bubu turned it over when he was hand-checked right out of bounds.

Starter
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 589
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    I was on the opposite end of the court from JR's 3 fouls, but I thought they looked pretty borderline and similar to what KU was doing to our guards every time they drove into the lane with no calls. What did people who saw them on TV think about it?
    I was sitting high in the balcony so my view was at least as good as the officials ... But there was a situation fairly late (2nd half) where Scotty had turned the corner driving to his left, the KU guard was hand-checking him all the way down the lane, SC puts up an off-balance floater that missed. I freaked, yelling for a hand-check foul. Got a lot of looks from the folks around me who were quietly enjoying the game.

re: Railey ... I thought he actually provided a spark. I wish he could have defended without fouling but I'm ok with his play.

Addict
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,594
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

I thought he played physical and 2 of those fouls were pretty cheap. I'm pretty sure the first one he was straight up and didn't hack the shooting arm at all but it's Kansas and they'll get those calls all the time.

Go Cubs Go!

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 133
    Given: 246

I'm thinking it was more of a 'if you get beat foul hard because they're only shooting 60% from the strip. Reason for keeping him in with 2 and then 3 fouls: Ejim, Godfrey, and JVB all had 2 fouls. Who would you rather have in foul trouble?

Rookie
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 205
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 1

I thought Jordan played pretty well. On his three fouls none of them were and ones, and the Morris boys actually missed at least 2 of the free throws they got.

On offense he hit a nice 16 footer and then made the hustle play to get us an extra possession, that I think Diante turned into a 3.

All and all, pretty good effort.

Prospect
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Don't get me wrong... I like Railey- a lot. It just seemed he was fouling even when he wasn't trying to block shots.

Rookie
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 356
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It is just nerves, he hasn't played much this year, he is in CFH doghouse, not to mention he is playing the #3 team in the country. He is young and still needs to develop into a key player give the kid time and he will get better and more disciplined.

Starter
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 42

Don't get me wrong... I like Railey- a lot. It just seemed he was fouling even when he wasn't trying to block shots.
    I think he was just trying to keep his hand straight up, to not foul. Well, they called it anyway. There was at least one where he couldn't have moved any less, and still got called.

Overall, I thought he played pretty well. Hustled, as always, and didn't back down to the Morris boys (which would be pretty dang easy to do as a freshman playing his first game against a ranked team). If nothing else it was huge just for him to take those fouls rather than Ejim, Godfrey, & JVB.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 463
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 15

I thought the same about some of the calls on Railey, Godfrey and Bubu. It seems like when a sub enters a game, a quick foul or turnover call against them often follows.

Rookie
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 288
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 56

Jordan came in on a free throw attempt and was damn near blocked out all the way out of bounds, welcome to the league style. Seemed like he responded nicely, like he said, Game on!! He was very aggressive then which KU exploited and drew fouls against him.

I see very big things coming from him going forward.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 278
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 421

Jordan stood up to the Morris twins, one of whom about elbowed him in the face, and knocked down a nice jumper. I think he gave Fred what he wanted a few minutes and the points were a bonus. I'd like to see him play more.

“Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.”
    Alan Wilson Watts