Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41

Thread: What recruits

  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 34,487, Level: 57
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 963
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,802
    Points
    34,487
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 91

    What recruits

    would you like to see in a cyclone uniform in the next couple years?

    High School - Iowa - Gabe Moreno, Cory Clark, Meeks
    Out of State - Tsirtsis, Cisnero (same school as Pena)
    Liberatore (Same school as Cozart)
    JUCO - Perkins from Ellsworth



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 41,627, Level: 62
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Borger, TX
    Posts
    2,650
    Points
    41,627
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 4

    Re: What recruits

    Quote Originally Posted by buf87 View Post
    would you like to see in a cyclone uniform in the next couple years?

    High School - Iowa - Gabe Moreno, Cory Clark, Meeks
    Out of State - Tsirtsis, Cisnero (same school as Pena)
    Liberatore (Same school as Cozart)
    JUCO - Perkins from Ellsworth
    Pretty nice list. Is Tsirtis being recruited by Iowa? He would be hard to pull. ISU really needs to recruit out west, and hit California hard. They produce some good upper weight wrestlers. Where is MacIntosh going to wrestle next year?

    What is the situation with Tanner Weatherman? I am hoping he will come to ISU, but his brothers performances can't be encouraging him on the development end.


    Last edited by brett108; 01-12-2011 at 04:45 PM.

  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 34,487, Level: 57
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 963
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,802
    Points
    34,487
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 91

    Re: What recruits

    Quote Originally Posted by brett108 View Post
    Pretty nice list. Is Tsirtis being recruited by Iowa? He would be hard to pull. ISU really needs to recruit out west, and hit California hard. They produce some good upper weight wrestlers. Where is MacIntosh going to wrestle next year?
    Morgan MacIntosh is headed to workout with Cael & Varner. (Can't blame him.)
    Tsirtsis would require a full ride; thought the brother had some issues with Iowa, not sure how many years he wrestled varsity. (similiar to Moore's at Iowa now).
    Not sure though



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 41,627, Level: 62
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Borger, TX
    Posts
    2,650
    Points
    41,627
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 4

    Re: What recruits

    Since you are more in the know than me, what has happenned to Nik Pena this year? He has been falling down the HS ratings all year. He was supposed to be a quality lower weight for us going forward, but he is about ready to get passed by some Iowa kids in the ratings.

    A second concern I have is that Jackson's staff has not shown the ability to get the top prospects at various weights to come. This is something Cael did often. And while Cael never seemed to maximize his talent to quickly at ISU, Jackson's staff has not been able to do anything with our lower weights. We really needed to keep Bono IMO. We do not seem to be making progress at any weight lower than 157 this year, and that is not good. We do not have the best wrestler's in the country coming our way anymore, and with Cael at PSU we won't for the foreseeable future. We need to make our wrestlers better, and I don't see it.



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 34,487, Level: 57
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 963
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,802
    Points
    34,487
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 91

    Re: What recruits

    Quote Originally Posted by brett108 View Post
    Since you are more in the know than me, what has happenned to Nik Pena this year? He has been falling down the HS ratings all year. He was supposed to be a quality lower weight for us going forward, but he is about ready to get passed by some Iowa kids in the ratings.

    A second concern I have is that Jackson's staff has not shown the ability to get the top prospects at various weights to come. This is something Cael did often. And while Cael never seemed to maximize his talent to quickly at ISU, Jackson's staff has not been able to do anything with our lower weights. We really needed to keep Bono IMO. We do not seem to be making progress at any weight lower than 157 this year, and that is not good. We do not have the best wrestler's in the country coming our way anymore, and with Cael at PSU we won't for the foreseeable future. We need to make our wrestlers better, and I don't see it.
    Cael is fantastic at recruiting (Mainly name - undefeated 4 time NCAA Champion and Olympic Gold medalist) Easier to develop the #1 recruit in the nation (David Taylor) than Jones (125# for Cyclones, 4th in 3A as a Senior) I think KJ will start filling the lower weight holes, but will take time. Finch (True Freshman), will be our 125 pounder next year is the real deal. Pena lost a couple matches at big tourneys early in the season to guys ranked (but below him). Sometime they wrestle up a weight for competition, not sure if that's the case. We do need to keep going after the potential 3X AA not the develop into a 1X AA by the time they're Seniors. KJ incoming class was Weatherman and lost the #1 recruiting class in our seniors in addition to Long. PATIENCE IS A B!tch, but that's what we need.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 34,487, Level: 57
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 963
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,802
    Points
    34,487
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 91

    Re: What recruits

    Quote Originally Posted by brett108 View Post
    Since you are more in the know than me, what has happenned to Nik Pena this year? He has been falling down the HS ratings all year. He was supposed to be a quality lower weight for us going forward, but he is about ready to get passed by some Iowa kids in the ratings.

    A second concern I have is that Jackson's staff has not shown the ability to get the top prospects at various weights to come. This is something Cael did often. And while Cael never seemed to maximize his talent to quickly at ISU, Jackson's staff has not been able to do anything with our lower weights. We really needed to keep Bono IMO. We do not seem to be making progress at any weight lower than 157 this year, and that is not good. We do not have the best wrestler's in the country coming our way anymore, and with Cael at PSU we won't for the foreseeable future. We need to make our wrestlers better, and I don't see it.
    Here a look at our depth next year.

    Next year lineup and depth
    125 - Finch, Hunter, Jones
    133 - Cash
    141 - Goettl
    149 - Mayfield, Cozart
    157 - Weatherman
    165 - Sorenson
    174 - Spangler, Moreno, England
    184 - Gadsen, Shafer, Riley, Christensen
    197 - Ward, Hawes, Voelker
    Hwt - Simonson, Gibson, Tennant

    Still no backups for lower weights other than 125





  7. #7
    Prospect
    Points: 2,434, Level: 13
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Grimes
    Posts
    7
    Points
    2,434
    Level
    13
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: What recruits

    Tanner Weatherman has already given a verbal to KJ according to Intermat.



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 41,627, Level: 62
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Borger, TX
    Posts
    2,650
    Points
    41,627
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 4

    Re: What recruits

    Quote Originally Posted by boogerisu View Post
    Tanner Weatherman has already given a verbal to KJ according to Intermat.
    That is good news. It will take the ISU lagacy families to get this program back on track.

    I still really think we need to bring in someone else to work with the lower weights. The transition to KJ was terrible for ISU, not just because we lost some recruiting time in a year, but Cael's old recruiting classes basically all packed up with him. My fear is that the program is set back almost 5 years right now, and if we struggle in Big 12 matches, we may have a hard time recovering.



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 41,627, Level: 62
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Borger, TX
    Posts
    2,650
    Points
    41,627
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 4

    Re: What recruits

    Quote Originally Posted by buf87 View Post
    Here a look at our depth next year.

    Next year lineup and depth
    125 - Finch, Hunter, Jones
    133 - Cash
    141 - Goettl
    149 - Mayfield, Cozart
    157 - Weatherman
    165 - Sorenson
    174 - Spangler, Moreno, England
    184 - Gadsen, Shafer, Riley, Christensen
    197 - Ward, Hawes, Voelker
    Hwt - Simonson, Gibson, Tennant

    Still no backups for lower weights other than 125

    Moreno is at 165 now. Is he too big to make the move to 157? I would think him shifting down and Weatherman, who looks like a small 157, moving to 149 would work out better for the team. Don't know if this is possible or not. I don't see Spangler losing the 174 weight class to the other guys. I am just hoping we can get some fight out of the lower weights next year.



  10. #10
    Walk On
    Points: 7,597, Level: 26
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 553
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    166
    Points
    7,597
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: What recruits

    our biggest holes in the next 2-3 years, will be 133/141....AS i recall that Finch is going to be a career 125lber. Goettl i think will be just like Fanthorpe (which i'd take)....WE have recruited Pena and Schlosser this year to help shore up 133/141, however based off of their senior years it isn't looking like these guys are elite..as Schlosser lost to Sullivan this year and now is apparently academically ineligble till like feb or something like that...And Pena has 4 losses on the year while some were losses to ranked guys it doesn't seem like he is a top 5 or maybe even 10 guy at his weight right now, as he isn't even ranked in on theopenmat.com latest rankings and neither is schlosser. Also i feel pretty worried about Schlosser ever coming to ISU as if he can't get the grades in high school it will be pretty difficult to handle college wrestling and school, but i'll guess we'll see how this evolves, would love to get another recruit this year around the 133/141 weights....Next year hopefully we can get Clark, Meeks who may be the answer to shore up the light weights....



  11. #11
    Rookie
    Points: 8,984, Level: 28
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 366
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    380
    Points
    8,984
    Level
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

    Re: What recruits

    Where did Coach Jackson's kid go - I did not see him on the depth chart you posted.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 34,487, Level: 57
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 963
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,802
    Points
    34,487
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 91

    Re: What recruits

    Quote Originally Posted by cyputz View Post
    Where did Coach Jackson's kid go - I did not see him on the depth chart you posted.
    Playing Football for a DII or DIII type school. can't remember where



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 34,487, Level: 57
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 963
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,802
    Points
    34,487
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 91

    Re: What recruits

    Quote Originally Posted by crooksie_26 View Post
    our biggest holes in the next 2-3 years, will be 133/141....AS i recall that Finch is going to be a career 125lber. Goettl i think will be just like Fanthorpe (which i'd take)....WE have recruited Pena and Schlosser this year to help shore up 133/141, however based off of their senior years it isn't looking like these guys are elite..as Schlosser lost to Sullivan this year and now is apparently academically ineligble till like feb or something like that...And Pena has 4 losses on the year while some were losses to ranked guys it doesn't seem like he is a top 5 or maybe even 10 guy at his weight right now, as he isn't even ranked in on theopenmat.com latest rankings and neither is schlosser. Also i feel pretty worried about Schlosser ever coming to ISU as if he can't get the grades in high school it will be pretty difficult to handle college wrestling and school, but i'll guess we'll see how this evolves, would love to get another recruit this year around the 133/141 weights....Next year hopefully we can get Clark, Meeks who may be the answer to shore up the light weights....
    Senior left that were in the top 100 are

    #19 Edwin Cooper from Illinois (Ranked #4 at 145 in latest TOM)
    #27 Terrel Wilbourn from Missouri (Ranked #7 at 140 latest TOM)
    #35 Nick Hodgkin from Pa. (Ranked#2 at 145 latest TOM)
    #43 Blake Roulo from Virginia (Ranked #6 at 145 latest TOM)
    #57 Joey Gosinski from Illinois (Ranked #12 at 130 latest TOM)
    #61 Nathan Zarate from Selma, CA (Ranked #10 at 145 latest TOM)
    #93 Luke Smith from Illinois (Ranked #15 at 140 latest TOM)

    These kids are Seniors and haven't seen where they have committed yet.



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 19,978, Level: 43
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 772
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Schfinkter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,227
    Points
    19,978
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 22
    Quote Originally Posted by buf87 View Post
    would you like to see in a cyclone uniform in the next couple years?

    High School - Iowa - Gabe Moreno, Cory Clark, Meeks
    Out of State - Tsirtsis, Cisnero (same school as Pena)
    Liberatore (Same school as Cozart)
    JUCO - Perkins from Ellsworth
    Moreno looks like a good possibilty we can pull in, clark is iowa all the way and meeks is up in the air from what I've heard, a lot of schools are taking looks at him but do to lack of out of the state wrestling I think its hurting his recruiting



  15. #15
    Prospect
    Points: 1,871, Level: 12
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 279
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    25
    Points
    1,871
    Level
    12
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: What recruits

    How about abernathy from Indianola. Gadson struggled with him last year in the tourney. He may be a very good 197 pounder for us.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM