Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

BCS Boss Gives State of the Game Report

Of course, we know that some people want something different. I appreciate their feelings. But I have to believe that most of those people don’t realize they would snatch those opportunities away from the students. But please don’t kid yourselves–it would happen. (And why would any player want to be deprived of visiting Sea World or Knott’s Berry Farm instead of playing for a lousy national-championship?)
    Name a sport with a multi-team playoff that also has a second vibrant neutral-site post-season event. Even though a few bowls probably would survive in a playoff era, certainly the athletes in the playoff would not have a bowl experience. A great part of college tradition would die, and that would be a shame. (And what a tragedy it would be for the schools and conferences to get the lions’ shares of the profits from a football tournament instead of seeing most of the money flow to the bowls and their business partners.)
    The teams would fly in for their games and they’d fly out afterward. For the 7 or 15 schools that lose, their season would be over. No celebration. No bowl-week memories. (Not like the 35 bowl-losers who go home and happily recount every moment spent at pre-bowl banquets listening to chamber-of-commerce hot shots tell each other what a magnificent job they’ve done.)

The BCS’ boss gives his State of the Game report, and it’s a doozy | TheGazette

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,064
    Given: 566

Re: BCS Boss Gives State of the Game Report

I didn't watch a single bowl game for longer than a quarter. I checked in on TCU/Wisconsin, Iowa and whoever the heck they played, and checked the score a couple of times in the title game, and watched maybe half of the 4th quarter. But yeah, the bowl season is really compelling for football fans.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 467
    Given: 321

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqyixwqiCag]YouTube - Family Guy - Stewie "Say WHAAAT?" (HD)[/ame]

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 556

The more he said in that statement the more he just proves what is wrong with college football.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 476
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I've never understood the confusion regarding this. IMO it is an easy fix. In order to do a playoff style NC game you would need to do an 8 team playoff. The four BCS bowls would essentially by the first round of games. Then you ad a semi final round and then the NC game. You're only adding two extra games to someone's schedule. Of course you would rotate the location of the semi round/NC games each year like they are doing now. I would probably move the BCS games up a week so that you aren't making the players play more than one game a week. Of course it's easy on paper, but would probably take the NCAA 10 years to implement even if it did get approved.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jl112481 View Post
    I've never understood the confusion regarding this. IMO it is an easy fix. In order to do a playoff style NC game you would need to do an 8 team playoff. The four BCS bowls would essentially by the first round of games. Then you ad a semi final round and then the NC game. You're only adding two extra games to someone's schedule. Of course you would rotate the location of the semi round/NC games each year like they are doing now. I would probably move the BCS games up a week so that you aren't making the players play more than one game a week. Of course it's easy on paper, but would probably take the NCAA 10 years to implement even if it did get approved.
    So the BCS folks, the bowl reps, and the bowl sponsors would have to take a back seat in importance to 2 semifinal games and a championship game? Not going to happen.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,132
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 300
    Given: 616

I love the bowl system. The day the bowl system ends is the day I quit caring about college football.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 476
    Given: 909

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonestate78 View Post
    So the BCS folks, the bowl reps, and the bowl sponsors would have to take a back seat in importance to 2 semifinal games and a championship game? Not going to happen.
    Well, I guess they have to choose what is more important: making a lot of money or making less money and crowning a true national champion.

I think we currently have an answer but they really have to look at their mission and whether or not they are meeting it.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,655
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

The guy who gets paid six figures to run the BCS is in favor of the BCS. I did not see that coming.

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I don't understand why all the other bowls would immediately be rendered extinct? For the most part the BCS has already made them essentially meaningless. Why couldn't Yankee stadium continue to host the Pinstripe Bowl if there is a playoff? A playoff system would not stop me from going back to the Insight Bowl to watch ISU. We aren't dumb enough to think that you are couching the argument this way to protect the Rose Bowl and their desire not to simply be a quarterfinal playoff game.

The guy has rocks to declare that the BCS is doing it for the kids.

Addict
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 302
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    I didn't watch a single bowl game for longer than a quarter. I checked in on TCU/Wisconsin, Iowa and whoever the heck they played, and checked the score a couple of times in the title game, and watched maybe half of the 4th quarter. But yeah, the bowl season is really compelling for football fans.
    Iowa and whoever the heck they played? You mean Missouri, one of our biggest conference rivals?

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Neckbeard View Post
    I don't understand why all the other bowls would immediately be rendered extinct? For the most part the BCS has already made them essentially meaningless. Why couldn't Yankee stadium continue to host the Pinstripe Bowl if there is a playoff? A playoff system would not stop me from going back to the Insight Bowl to watch ISU. We aren't dumb enough to think that you are couching the argument this way to protect the Rose Bowl and their desire not to simply be a quarterfinal playoff game.

The guy smokes rocks to declare that the BCS is doing it for the kids.
    Fixed that one for you.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 476
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonestate78 View Post
    They already have a NC game that is not one of the BCS games. Really all you would be adding is the semi final games. They wouldn't be taking a back seat any more than they are now. Also you are adding two more bowl games which means $$$$ in sponsorships and TV revenue. Each BCS bowl would have the chance to host the games every four years like they do with the current NC game, but instead of one extra game they would get three. So it would look like this:

First Round:
    Rose Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl

Second Round:
    The Fiesta Bowl Semi Final Games

NC Game:
    The Fiesta Bowl National Championship Game

Like I said, the only difference is that you have added the two semi final games which really only means more $$, more exposure, and more sponsors for the BCS. It would also be more interesting to watch. I currently don't watch all of the BCS games, but would be more inclined to watch them if they were "playoff" games like I do with the NFL.

Just my opinion.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 735
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 27

They already have a NC game that is not one of the BCS games. Really all you would be adding is the semi final games. They wouldn't be taking a back seat any more than they are now. Also you are adding two more bowl games which means $$$$ in sponsorships and TV revenue. Each BCS bowl would have the chance to host the games every four years like they do with the current NC game, but instead of one extra game they would get three. So it would look like this:

First Round:

Second Round:

NC Game:

Like I said, the only difference is that you have added the two semi final games which really only means more $$, more exposure, and more sponsors for the BCS. It would also be more interesting to watch. I currently don't watch all of the BCS games, but would be more inclined to watch them if they were "playoff" games like I do with the NFL.

Just my opinion.
    You've added games, but you've taken away teams from the BCS. Right now there are 10 teams in the BCS, the Big 10 and SEC get two teams in almost every year. In a 8 team playoff, the odds of them getting two teams in goes down significantly. Also, right now the bowls make a ton of money because they have guaranteed ticket sales through the universities. Even for BCS games some teams, like UConn, have trouble selling their ticket allotment. Whatever amount of tickets the university can't sell, they have to eat that cost. Now you're asking fans to travel to three different games, good luck selling all those tickets.

Starter
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 192
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 12

First Round:

Second Round:

NC Game:

Just my opinion.
    I think you would probably want to make the second round the Orange Bowl semis or something else to spread around the sponsor love. Also, I think you would have to add in another location just for the sake of field quality. It was bad enough this year in Pheonix. This would be how I would propose it:
    First Round:
    Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, Fiesta, & Sugar
    Semis:
    Cotton Bowl & Capitol One Bowl (or any other bowl game)
    Final:
    Fiesta Bowl

And obviously it would rotate between the 6 locations.