Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 328
    Given: 43

Tablet Computers

I have some questions on these tablets. My computer now is about 7 years old and it's time for it to hit the road. I have been looking at laptops and tablets. All I really need is a browser and maybe the ability to play movies. As far as mobility and such the tablet to me looks like the way to go. I am not Applefied so the Ipad isn't all that attractive to me but I guess if I am going to drop $1,000 on one of these that is maybe the best. I have also been looking at the combo units where it can be a tablet or a laptop. Those are also intriguing to me. I don't have the patience to go look around at a bunch of reveiws about these things so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these. What are the pros and cons? What do I need to make sure I look out for? What ones do I stay away from? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

All-Star
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 655
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Tablet Computers

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    I have some questions on these tablets. My computer now is about 7 years old and it's time for it to hit the road. I have been looking at laptops and tablets. All I really need is a browser and maybe the ability to play movies. As far as mobility and such the tablet to me looks like the way to go. I am not Applefied so the Ipad isn't all that attractive to me but I guess if I am going to drop $1,000 on one of these that is maybe the best. I have also been looking at the combo units where it can be a tablet or a laptop. Those are also intriguing to me. I don't have the patience to go look around at a bunch of reveiws about these things so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these. What are the pros and cons? What do I need to make sure I look out for? What ones do I stay away from? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    I really do not like apple for a number of reasons, but if you are simple looking for browsing, and movies the ipad may be the way to go. Although I am not sure whether it has a disc drive. Which means you would be forced to get digital downloads of movies(if we are talking dvd movies).

If you are looking for simple a small work computer(browsing, spreadsheets, typing, and don't mind using a external disc drive) I Highly recommend a Netbook, and if you do go this route I recommend the ASUS EEEPC. ASUS has 5 years on the competition and these bad boys are good.

I have not heard anything about newer models of hybrid tablet/laptop computers. I remember 2-3 years ago when they were trying to make them work, there really were not a very polished product. This may have changed but I would recommend doing your homework on this because it could bite you in the arse pretty hard if ya

All-Star
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 655
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Forgot something else, Netbooks have USB ports which are super handy for everything these days, if I am not mistaken the IPAD does not have any. I am trying to be non prejudiced here, and correct me if I am wrong loyal apple followers.

All-Star
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 526
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

I'll sell you my ipad when the new one comes out in a few months.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Ames View Post
    I'll sell you my ipad when the new one comes out in a few months.
    We'll see. Hit me up when the time comes. While I don't forsee having or wanting to use this purchase for spreadsheets or anything business related, I hate to buy something and then find out I did want those options. I'm thinking I should at least have USB ports.

Or so I have read.

Walk On
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I work for an IT company and use a tablet every day. I have to say that we have some people in the company who use the iPad and really like it. I am not one of them. I want the ability of a touch screen, but also want a full keyboard when I need it. The tablet is the best of both worlds.

I have had an Acer before, but I fell in love with the Dell ones. I used a Dell XT running XP and right now I use the Dell XT2 running windows 7.
    1. It has a touch screen which I use all the time.
    2. It also comes with a pen to write, take notes, on the screen. I take a lot of notes and with OneNote from Microsoft or Evernote, it is so handy. I love it!
    3. I can rotate the screen so it is flat like a iPad or I can rotate back and use a full keyboard. I can also flip it around and keep it upright so the keyboard is behind it and the screen is at an angle...great for watching movies on a plane or in general.
    4. Really light and easy to carry around, but very powerful making sure I can do what I want.

These are all the features I love about it. The battery isn't nearly as good as you can get with iPad...2.5 hours (without conserving at all) compared to 8 hours with iPad, but I don't really care about battery life. Most places I go have a plug in.

Once you go with a tablet, you won't ever go back. There are also some new Google tablets coming out, but I would still stick with windows 7 running a Dell XT2. It is the best I have had by far.

Go to www.outlet.dell.com and get a refurbished one. I use them all the time and have never had a problem and you will save a ton of money. Feel free to ask more questions. I have lots of opinions...:)

Pro
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 66

My parents just got an Ipad and they love it. But I think the thing to know with the Ipad is that you kind of need another computer to use as it's parent if you will. To download stuff and then you can transfer to the Ipad. There is only limited storage on the Ipad as well so keep that in mind.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Walk On
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Netbooks are okay. They are not very popular and don't have a lot of flexibility. You can't install a lot of programs on them or anything. They are a very low end computer and if the ONLY functions you want are web browsing and videos, then you could get away with it. It won't last you long and will only do those things.

They are great for kids and very low need people.

iPads are really cool, but you have to be okay with not having a keyboard and usb ports. Everything is bluetooth or network enabled. The great stuff about iPads are the apps that you can get from the App store. There is some pretty cool apps in there I have to admit. The people I know that have one, really like them. They are great as a toy, but rough if you want to use them for business unless you use Citrix or Terminal Services technology.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone46 View Post
    I work for an IT company and use a tablet every day. I have to say that we have some people in the company who use the iPad and really like it. I am not one of them. I want the ability of a touch screen, but also want a full keyboard when I need it. The tablet is the best of both worlds.

I have had an Acer before, but I fell in love with the Dell ones. I used a Dell XT running XP and right now I use the Dell XT2 running windows 7.
    1. It has a touch screen which I use all the time.
    2. It also comes with a pen to write, take notes, on the screen. I take a lot of notes and with OneNote from Microsoft or Evernote, it is so handy. I love it!
    3. I can rotate the screen so it is flat like a iPad or I can rotate back and use a full keyboard. I can also flip it around and keep it upright so the keyboard is behind it and the screen is at an angle...great for watching movies on a plane or in general.
    4. Really light and easy to carry around, but very powerful making sure I can do what I want.

These are all the features I love about it. The battery isn't nearly as good as you can get with iPad...2.5 hours (without conserving at all) compared to 8 hours with iPad, but I don't really care about battery life. Most places I go have a plug in.

Once you go with a tablet, you won't ever go back. There are also some new Google tablets coming out, but I would still stick with windows 7 running a Dell XT2. It is the best I have had by far.

Go to www.outlet.dell.com and get a refurbished one. I use them all the time and have never had a problem and you will save a ton of money. Feel free to ask more questions. I have lots of opinions...:)
    Your link doesn't work but I found the store and I can't find the XT2 in there.

Or so I have read.

Pro
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 194
    Given: 38

This is the one I am waiting to get!!!

My wife and i are in a similar predicament. We are just going to scrap having a laptop all together and go to a desktop in the office and an Android tablet for around the house.

Pro
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 194
    Given: 38

Try here.
    Latitude XT2 Tablet PC Details | Dell

A warning though, they cost 2 grand.

Pro
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,022
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone46 View Post
    Netbooks are okay. They are not very popular and don't have a lot of flexibility. You can't install a lot of programs on them or anything. They are a very low end computer and if the ONLY functions you want are web browsing and videos, then you could get away with it. It won't last you long and will only do those things.

They are great for kids and very low need people.

iPads are really cool, but you have to be okay with not having a keyboard and usb ports. Everything is bluetooth or network enabled. The great stuff about iPads are the apps that you can get from the App store. There is some pretty cool apps in there I have to admit. The people I know that have one, really like them. They are great as a toy, but rough if you want to use them for business unless you use Citrix or Terminal Services technology.
    I have a keyboard for my iPad. Just saying.

I don't need a USB port. Dropbox is the way to go. Flash drives are for nerds.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 93

Under business&education laptops. They run about $1000 refurb.

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineS...=28&l=en&s=dfb

On the left they are listed as Latitude XT2

Walk On
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

My Boss has an android tablet and really likes it. It is just like the iPad in terms of no keyboard and such. If you get an iPad or android, you get them for the applications that come in the app stores. The rough stuff is all the same. They are really not meant to be your only computer, but a supplement to another computer.