Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Les Miles to stay put at LSU

Good decison on Miles part. LSU is a better job. They have a higher payroll for the players.

Starter
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 11

Smart move. He would have to really love Michigan to step into that mess. Michigan is going to have to take a risk on an up-and-commer. I doubt any established coach in their right mind would take a job in Ann Arbor

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 781
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

Hard to believe where their program is at given there history.

Shows the importance of getting the right guy for the job, one wrong hire can really screw a program over.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,109
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 294

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Smart move. He would have to really love Michigan to step into that mess. Michigan is going to have to take a risk on an up-and-commer. I doubt any established coach in their right mind would take a job in Ann Arbor
    Depends on how much money Michigan offers. For the right dollar amount I bet Bob Stoops would go there! Again, for the right amount of money, which would be a lot for many coaches.

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 862
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 18

I only say this because his name is always on list but what if Malzahn didn't get his raise. Does anyone think they Michigan woulda went after him, or is Malzahns style of offense not what they want up there?

"Its time to roll up our sleeves, put on our hard hats and go to work together"

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 295
    Given: 38

Quote Originally Posted by Ficklone02 View Post
    Hard to believe where their program is at given there history.

Shows the importance of getting the right guy for the job, one wrong hire can really screw a program over.
    Or the wrong fires. IMO, now there is no one left out there would would have had more success than RR in the next 5 years. This whole thing has been a huge ******* joke. Michigan should have kept RR and fired Dave Brandon.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott34 View Post
    I only say this because his name is always on list but what if Malzahn didn't get his raise. Does anyone think they Michigan woulda went after him, or is Malzahns style of offense not what they want up there?
    Malzahn could be a possibility. They don't want a coordinator but I see no way around it unless you hire Brady Hoke which would be a marginal hire at best and obviously not one of the first 5 choices at least.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 465
    Given: 320

I honestly thought Michigan fans were nuts if they thought Les Miles would leave LSU for Michigan simply because he's a "Michigan man". LSU is a better program now than Michigan - why would Miles choose to downgrade like that? Hell - IOWA might be a better program than Michigan now (which is sad).

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    Or the wrong fires. IMO, now there is no one left out there would would have had more success than RR in the next 5 years. This whole thing has been a huge ******* joke. Michigan should have kept RR and fired Dave Brandon.
    I'll take it one step further - they never should have run Lloyd Carr out of town for having one too many 9-3 seasons. I don't often agree with Colin Cowherd, but in this case, he's absolutely right - Michiganders are stuck in the 1970s and 80s. If they ever want to become relevant on the national stage again (assuming that ship hasn't already sailed), they need to ditch this whole idea of "What Would Bo Schembeckler Do" and purge themselves of the "Michigan Man" mentality and hire a man that will actually get the job done, or, at the very least, give a guy more than 3 years to actually get his program in place.

Last edited by jdoggivjc; 01-11-2011 at 12:51 PM.
    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I honestly thought Michigan fans were nuts if they thought Les Miles would leave LSU for Michigan simply because he's a "Michigan man". LSU is a better program now than Michigan - why would Miles choose to downgrade like that? Hell - IOWA might be a better program than Michigan now (which is sad).
    LSU fans were the ones who thought he was leaving. That's where all the "leaks" came from.

I'm not sure Miles was actually ever offered the job. If not, that's even more of a **** up.

There was also pretty strong rumors last time around that he wanted to take the job but there was an ultimatum issued by LSU and when Les tried to contact Billy Martin, no one answered so he signed his deal and moved on.

Michigan is still a top 15 job. It may not be top 10 anymore but I think it's still a good job and you have a talent base there to work with. There a bunch of young guys who will be good players.

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 19

Smart man whether he was offered or not.

That is the last time you will hear me call Les a smart man.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    He does really love UM, just not quite that much. I hear Hoke is their guy now.

LSU fans were the ones who thought he was leaving. That's where all the "leaks" came from.

Not just LSU fans, a lot of UM fans thought he was headed that way as well. Interesting perspective you have when those very close to Miles said even Miles was torn between LSU and UM as late as their dinner last night at Voodoos (Les and his wife dined with UM AD).

I'm not sure Miles was actually ever offered the job. If not, that's even more of a **** up.
    Whether the offer was extended or the discussion was around an offer the message was clear - would you do it for $XX a year for X years was passed around. Or do you think Miles, his agent, wife, and the UM AD et al just decided to fly a bunch of jets around and have dinner for old times sake?

There was also pretty strong rumors last time around that he wanted to take the job but there was an ultimatum issued by LSU and when Les tried to contact Billy Martin, no one answered so he signed his deal and moved on.

Michigan is still a top 15 job. It may not be top 10 anymore but I think it's still a good job and you have a talent base there to work with. There a bunch of young guys who will be good players.
    UM is a great job, just not as great as it once was nor as great as LSU...

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyeah View Post
    He does really love UM, just not quite that much. I hear Hoke is their guy now.

UM is a great job, just not as great as it once was nor as great as LSU...

UM fans thought that only because the LSU fans on TigerDroppings were saying it. There was nothing from the UM AD which said he would be offered or that he would take the job. That all came from LSU. I guess I didn't really word my statement right.

Or so I have read.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 3

UM fans thought that only because the LSU fans on TigerDroppings were saying it. There was nothing from the UM AD which said he would be offered or that he would take the job. That all came from LSU. I guess I didn't really word my statement right.
    So do you think the UM plane was in Dallas then Baton Rouge and Miles, his wife, his agent and the UM AD were out to dinner and meeting to discuss the Auburn/Oregon game?

Of course the UM president did not say he offered Miles, he did not sya he offered Harbaugh as well but he did.

Either the UM AD spent a ton of jet money and time just hanging with Miles in Dallas and Baton Rouge or he was trying to get Miles as his next head coach.

It was not just LSU people who were aware of this.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Ficklone02 View Post
    In light of Les Miles potentially moving to Michigan I found this, which was too funny to not share. hahaha!!

Les Miles "The Most Interesting Coach in the World"

-He once played an April Fools joke ...on 92,000 people ...in October.
    -He once scored a TD on a fake FG, so 3 years later he added a bounce pass to it, just to see if he could.
    -He is mentally challenged and still able to challenge you mentally.
    -He has been undefeated in regulation (2007), and defeated in regulation (TN), while still being undefeated.
    -He drinks tabasco to warm up the ice in his veins.
    -The only man to ever lose to and defeat a 10-3 Defense at the same time.
    -He has never seen a glass half empty, only one he wants to be full.
    -He uses the word "want" as both a verb and noun in the same sentence.
    -He will build a lead at half and then let the other team come back just to make things interesting.
    -He once bought a thesaurus, just to throw it away.
    -He once simplified an offense that opposing defenses have already figured out.
    -His organ donor card also lists his hat.
    -He has never lost a game, he only finishes second.
    -He once recruited the top QB in the land, just to prove he could play wide receiver.
    -He can make comparisons about the excitement of reading books without ever having read one.
    -He recruits 5 star talent simply to keep other schools from having it.
    -His hat has turned down head coaching offers.
    -He hates the guy who doesn't make the coffee and complains about how it tastes.
    -He once lost in overtime, just to know what it felt like to be undefeated in regulation.
    -He manages the clock by forgetting it's even there
    -He has a want to get a guy more touches without actually wanting to get a guy more touches.

He is.......THE MOST INTERESTING COACH IN THE WORLD.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post

I'll take it one step further - they never should have run Lloyd Carr out of town for having one too many 9-3 seasons. I don't often agree with Colin Cowherd, but in this case, he's absolutely right - Michiganders are stuck in the 1970s and 80s. If they ever want to become relevant on the national stage again (assuming that ship hasn't already sailed), they need to ditch this whole idea of "What Would Bo Schembeckler Do" and purge themselves of the "Michigan Man" mentality and hire a man that will actually get the job done, or, at the very least, give a guy more than 3 years to actually get his program in place.
    In all honesty, and I defended Lloyd Carr until the last day, he was starting to lose the program. That next year was going to be somewhat tough and if you look at the last three rosters, his last classes had lacked a little, especially on the defensive side of the ball. I thought they made the change at the right time.

Cowherd has been right on this situation a lot of the time. Desmond Howard said the same thing. This whole idea of "Michigan Man" is complete and utter BS. It's stupid really. You hire RR, and I thought it was a good hire because it did go against this inbreeding theory and it brought new blood. They needed to give him at least 4 years. A lot of people said that. Unfortunately RR started off with only a portion of the fanbase supporting him and then didn't have the success Michigan is used to so the pressure got so great that he had to be fired. Now you have fired a guy that you have no reason to believe wouldn't continue improving and you are going to bring in your 5-6th choice at best? Seriously? Your best option is now a guy who has a sub .500 record in 8 years as a head coach and if he had been an assistant at Arknsas his name wouldn't even be on the radar. That' pathetic. People can say whatever they want about Jamie Pollard but in terms of coaching searches and how smoothly they have been handled with a much tougher situation, he has blown Dave Brandon out of the water.

Or so I have read.