Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Master's in Elementary Ed, worth it?

My girlfriend is going back to school and is debating this seriously right now, so I thought I would ask the fanatics.

Option 1: Second bachelor's degree from ISU in the field of Elementary Education with a Special Ed endorsement. Timeframe 2.5 years. Would be commuting from DSM to Ames everyday.

Option 2: Drake offers a program where you can get your bachelor's and masters concurrently. Timeframe is 2.5 years also for the Master's and special ed endorsement. Total cost of the 2.5 years will be about $12,000 more than ISU. (This program charges tuition a little different that the regular Drake programs)

My question is whether the master's degree is worth the cost. I have heard some schools are reluctant to hire master's degrees, because they have to pay them a higher salary. She is really worried about getting a job since her first degree failed in that aspect.

Anyone have any experience with the school systems? With the special ed endorsement being a high need area, imaybe the master's will be worth it. Also does financial aid pay you more if your school is more expensive?

She is definately more excited about going after a master's rather than a second bachelor's, having trouble coping with the fact her first degree (Fashion Design) is worthless in central Iowa.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,148
    Given: 1,788

Re: Master's in Elementary Ed, worth it?

Check with the Financial Aid office at Drake. They would have more info about how much of that 12k could be absorbed through grants or whatever.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,342
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by weisr2002 View Post
    My girlfriend is going back to school and is debating this seriously right now, so I thought I would ask the fanatics.

Option 1: Second bachelor's degree from ISU in the field of Elementary Education with a Special Ed endorsement. Timeframe 2.5 years. Would be commuting from DSM to Ames everyday.

Option 2: Drake offers a program where you can get your bachelor's and masters concurrently. Timeframe is 2.5 years also for the Master's and special ed endorsement. Total cost of the 2.5 years will be about $12,000 more than ISU. (This program charges tuition a little different that the regular Drake programs)

My question is whether the master's degree is worth the cost. I have heard some schools are reluctant to hire master's degrees, because they have to pay them a higher salary. She is really worried about getting a job since her first degree failed in that aspect.

Anyone have any experience with the school systems? With the special ed endorsement being a high need area, imaybe the master's will be worth it. Also does financial aid pay you more if your school is more expensive?

She is definately more excited about going after a master's rather than a second bachelor's, having trouble coping with the fact her first degree (Fashion Design) is worthless in central Iowa.
    Most schools are reluctant to hire a first year teacher that high up on the pay scale because it's their first year. She might be able to find one willing to roll the dice, but with the budget cuts, I'd be pretty hesitant with it. I'd probably ask Drake what their placement rates are for people in her situation going that route.

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

Starter
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 33

Some districts only hire teachers with Masters. Many other districts are hesistant to hire teachers with their Masters because of the cost. The better the school district, the more likely it will be that she gets hired with her Masters.

Addict
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 128

an old rule of thumb was as a teacher don't get any more education until you are already hired in the job you plan to stay in. not sure if it still holds but certainly in rural schools a masters degree on someone you are looking at as a new hire is only going to be seen as an expensive hire.

ALL IN
    www.cyclonejerseys.com
    Always buying historically relevant ISU gear

Pro
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 5

Have her get the BA first. My wife teaches, and with many districts struggling financially, they'll take the cheaper BA over the more experienced/educated MA out of necessity. Then go get the MA ASAP.

"Me not winning isn't important. You do!"

All-Star
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Definitely BA first, get a job, then work the Master's.

Recruit
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 233
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Make sure she has a reading endorsement or she will limit herself either way.

I say do it while you are young, somebody will hire her especially if she is considering larger districts. Many schools in other states offer 5 year masters programs, so if she is going somewhere else besides Iowa it may be a disadvantage not to have it.

I have served on several hiring committees and the elementary positions are always tough.. You may be sorting through 200 apps----- a reading endorsement, willing to coach something (including speech, drama, cheerleading etc) and a Masters may get you into the call back pile.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 538
    Given: 72

Is this for real? Someone with a Masters may not get hired because they are more qualified and have to be paid more?

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    Is this for real? Someone with a Masters may not get hired because they are more qualified and have to be paid more?
    That kind of thing is real in plenty of areas. It's a consideration they have to look at.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 275
    Given: 139

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    Budget cutbacks in education.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Pricing yourself out of the market is a very real consideration.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 810
    Given: 786

My wife (who has her bachelors and masters in elem education) says it might depend on what she wants to teach. Not sure what the state will accept.

If she can do the masters in elementary, I would also look into Viterbo. My wife did it on weekends in 13 months.

@RandomGeoFacts

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 113

I'm a professor in a School of Education so I hope this insight helps...

She needs to get some questions answered about the Masters and what it actually is perceived as by school districts. We offer a degree program like that and the degree is an MAT (Master's of Teaching) and usually isn't recognized as an official Master's degree by most school districts. I would suggest that she talk to school districts that she might be interested in teaching in and see what they say about the two tracks. If they do not recognize the degree as an actual Masters it isn't worth it. If she's not going to get a lot more money to pay off that 12K, it's not worth it.

Personally, there are two sides to this coin. First, I personally recommend a person get experience before they get their Master's degree so that the courses covered make more sense - she has experience to apply to the discussions. Second, the Drake program (and I think ISU might actually offer something similar) is a fast way to get where she wants to be.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 284
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

If she already has a degree she can go directly to a Master's in education. Talk to the college. But it will make her very hard to hire.