Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 710
    Given: 1,502

What do you want to see from the director of a BB game?

I just wanted to get the feel of how most people feel about how a director directs the coverage of a BB game. Over the last couple of decades I have seen the definition of what is important in a BB game apparently change.

When I first started watching college BB they would cover the action on the court anytime the ball was live. Replays, highlight packages and crowd/bench/player shots were saved for a deadball situations and timeouts. Anymore (since the emergence of ESPN?) directors seem to be so enthralled with making themselves look good that they forget that they fail anytime their viewers miss action on the court. Personally it frustrates me no end when we are forced to watch a player celebrate or the head coaches wife cheer while the team is pressing the end bounds pass. We miss how the turnover and basket happens because we need a honey shot? We miss an inbounds play and score because we have to see the previous play three times and they aren't done when the ball is inbounded. We come back from a commercial break and have to look at a stat graphic while the action on the court has already started. Show stats before the action or put a condensed version across the bottom of the screen.

Anybody else think that sports coverage is getting too cute and forgetting what it is all about? I always thought the whole point was the game...

Am I alone in getting upset with missing out on part of the game?

Last edited by VeloClone; 01-09-2011 at 04:47 PM.
    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Pro
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 881
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 21

Re: What do you want to see from the director of a BB game?

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    ...Anybody else think that sports coverage is getting too cute and forgetting what it is all about? I always the whole point was the game...

NOPE, hate when they miss part of a play.

All-Star
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 561
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 43

I agree. They win show a play ad nauseum, meanwhile missing a play on the court. Or sometimes they'll show a different angle of the court, which throws off your perception. Just show the game.

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,068
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 15

I know it's not likely, or maybe even possible most of the time, but if you're going to show me a replay I want to see it from the angle of the official who called it. Showing it form 20 different angles just because you have that many cameras doesn't really matter. It either inflames or reinforces personal opinions, including those of the announcers, but does nothing to illustrate the correctness of the call.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 630
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    NOPE, hate when they miss part of a play.
    FSN was guilty of this several times in Saturday's ISU WBB game. Two entire ISU possessions were missed due to excessive replays.

Prospect
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I just wanted to get the feel of how most people feel about how a director directs the coverage of a BB game. Over the last couple of decades I have seen the definition of what is important in a BB game apparently change.

When I first started watching college BB they would cover the action on the court anytime the ball was live. Replays, highlight packages and crowd/bench/player shots were saved for a deadball situations and timeouts. Anymore (since the emergence of ESPN?) directors seem to be so enthralled with making themselves look good that they forget that they fail anytime their viewers miss action on the court. Personally it frustrates me no end when we are forced to watch a player celebrate or the head coaches wife cheer while the team is pressing the end bounds pass. We miss how the turnover and basket happens because we need a honey shot? We miss an inbounds play and score because we have to see the previous play three times and they aren't done when the ball is inbounded. We come back from a commercial break and have to look at a stat graphic while the action on the court has already started. Show stats before the action or put a condensed version across the bottom of the screen.

Anybody else think that sports coverage is getting too cute and forgetting what it is all about? I always thought the whole point was the game...

Amen, amen, amen. Show me the floor. I want to see the action, not somebody's face. Last night was typical. Missed most of the inbounds plays. Missed alot of the backcourt action, and there was plenty of pressing going on. Several times came back late from timeouts. Do they really think that's what people want? How do we get this fixed?

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by psi View Post
    Amen, amen, amen. Show me the floor. I want to see the action, not somebody's face. Last night was typical. Missed most of the inbounds plays. Missed alot of the backcourt action, and there was plenty of pressing going on. Several times came back late from timeouts. Do they really think that's what people want? How do we get this fixed?
    I have little hope that they will fix it, but you can contact the AD if there is a problem with CTN productions. For Big 12 productions, contact the Big 12 offfice. They might at least talk to the director. The overall problem will still remain, I'm sure but it might help alleviate the most aggregious issues.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Speechless
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,287
    Given: 631

I absolutely hate when they show stats, crowd shots, replays, etc., right up to the split second (or even during) play starts. Drives me nuts, both in football and basketball.

I don't like when they zoom in or show a weird angle right up to the start of the play either.

Replays of controversial calls/plays or great plays are nice, but they should be saved for dead ball situations.

Pro
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 124

Yep, I agree with what you all have said, it's getting bad, we missed several plays during the women's game and the men's game was awful. It is just as bad or worse for football especially with the way offenses are using a faster tempo.

Go Cyclones!!

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 412
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

CTN production is obviously done by amateurs, Maybe students? KWWL has produced some local coverage of UNI games. They would rather show kids in the crowd than basketball. ESPN thinks numerous head shots of their favorite coaches is the most important part of the game. ESPN games usually run over because they have to delay the game to get in all the comercials. Generally speaking, the whole TV industry is a mess, but if I couldn't watch poor sports coverage, I wouldn't need a TV set.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I just sent this email to Jamie Pollard. I am confident that he will get back to me and look into the issue.
    Dear Mr. Pollard:

Please accept my apologies for bothering you with this issue but unfortunately I don’t know who in ISU athletics would be the appropriate recipient.

I was lucky enough to be able to make it to every Cyclone home football game this year as well as a couple of home basketball games. However, as an Iowa State grad and Cyclone Athletics fan who lives out of state I am very dependent on the television broadcasts of most ISU athletics sporting events to continue to enjoy the performances of our great Cyclone athletes. These men and women are great ambassadors for the university and deserve our support. I watch whatever ISU athletics events I can get on television in Big 10 country and try to get to many events live when I can make it down to Ames.

I have become more and more concerned about the direction of Cyclone Television Network as well as Big 12 Conference produced events. As a Cyclone sports fan, my goal is to watch and support our athletes. This becomes problematic when the directors of these productions start to believe that their multiple angle replays, highlight packages, stat graphics and bench/crowd shots are more important than the live action on the floor. Many of us are frustrated when we miss steals and baskets in basketball, for example, because the producer is enamored with the extras and doesn’t bother to get us back to the live action in time. I realize that since the emergence of ESPN this has become more commonplace. However, CTN does not have to be a part of the problem.

Please make sure that our partners at CTN understand that anytime we miss action on the court or field many Cyclone fans see it as a failure by the production company. If you could also pass these issues along to the Big 12 office, I would appreciate it. The ISU vs. Baylor WBB game had several examples of how our enjoyment of the game can be hampered by the producers missing action on the court.

I would appreciate it if you would let me know who are the proper contacts for these issues in both CTN and Big 12 productions so I can pass it along to others I know who share my concern. If you would like to see just a few of the comments yourself, please read this thread on Cyclone Fanatic: http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/mens-basketball/111313-what-do-you-want-see-director-bb-game.html

Thank you, Jamie, for being responsive once again to the concerns of the Cyclone fans out there who share your passion for Cyclone athletics!

GO CYCLONES!
    I will let you all know if he give me some contact information where our concerns should be sent.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 548
    Given: 346

Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    FSN was guilty of this several times in Saturday's ISU WBB game. Two entire ISU possessions were missed due to excessive replays.
    It was a Nebraska college broadcast picked up by CTN/full court. They cared little about our cameo players. Shall we do the same in return in Ames?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    It was a Nebraska college broadcast picked up by CTN/full court. They cared little about our cameo players. Shall we do the same in return in Ames?
    I doubt that Nebraska had anything to do with a Baylor vs. ISU WBB game.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well that didn't take long:
    Thanks XXXXXXX. We are already on it. I was not pleased with the production during the game and have already raised the issue with our staff. Thanks again.

Jamie Pollard
    Director of Athletics
    Iowa State University
    Jacobson Athletic Building
    Ames, Iowa 50011-1140
    (515) 294-0123

Speechless
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,287
    Given: 631

Well that didn't take long:
    Thanks XXXXXXX. We are already on it. I was not pleased with the production during the game and have already raised the issue with our staff. Thanks again.

Jamie Pollard
    Director of Athletics
    Iowa State University
    Jacobson Athletic Building
    Ames, Iowa 50011-1140
    (515) 294-0123
    That's a really funny name you got there. Are you twice as bad as Vin Diesel?