Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

ISU vs. Nebby through Dolph colored glasses

Lets look at this from a Gary Dolphin point of view...we are 3 baskets away from being undefeated. (I got so sick of hearing how the hawks were 5 plays away from being undefeated this year)

Seriously though, coaching cost us this game. No reason to run such a rushed play. Should have thrown it out to the top of the key and let Diante drive and create. Coaches deserve some criticism here. You make damn sure a shot is not in the air until there is not time left for the opponent to take advantage of.

Starter
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: ISU vs. Nebby through Dolph colored glasses

Quote Originally Posted by weisr2002 View Post
    Lets look at this from a Gary Dolphin point of view...we are 3 baskets away from being undefeated. (I got so sick of hearing how the hawks were 5 plays away from being undefeated this year)

Seriously though, coaching cost us this game. No reason to run such a rushed play. Should have thrown it out to the top of the key and let Diante drive and create. Coaches deserve some criticism here. You make damn sure a shot is not in the air until there is not time left for the opponent to take advantage of.
    I thought that's what they were trying to do and DG just got the ball stripped.!? That's kinda how it looked to me anyway but irregardless I have no doubt CFH will review it and determine what may have worked better.

Clone4ever

All-Star
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 898
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 173
    Given: 17

you're being ridiculous.

What you are suggesting they do is exactly what they were trying to do, and DG got stripped.

We played a heck of a game, and Hoiberg coached a heck of a game. We lost, but we played very very well.

"It was like going on vacation to go play Iowa." - Coach Johnny Orr

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonefarmer View Post
    I thought that's what they were trying to do and DG just got the ball stripped.!? That's kinda how it looked to me anyway but irregardless I have no doubt CFH will review it and determine what may have worked better.
    I don't really agree. I think they got too fancy with the play. Why have them run the play back though the inbounder. Just throw it in to Diante or Jake at the top of the key and work it from there. They rushed it too much by trying to run back through the inbounder. That left Nebby with time to drive the entire length of the floor. You need to throw it out top and burn a couple seconds dribbling, and not leave time for Nebby to do anything.

I love Fred too. But criticism is deserved here.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,402
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 15

Not one thing cost us the game. I get so sick of blaming DG or blaming Hoiberg or blaming Anderson (there's a post on CR right now doing that).

A hundred little things cost us the game. And a hundred little things had us close enough to win with a few seconds left.

Did Hoiberg make some mistakes---yes. Did DG make some mistakes---yes. Did Ejim make some mistkkes---yes. The list goes on and on.

We played a team that is probably pretty equal to us. We lost by one of the road. If you were watching TV today you would have noted that Michigan State is ranked and lost on the road to Penn STate. Kansas State is ranked and lost on the road by double digits to OSU. Missouri is ranked and got blown out by Colorado.

Bench Warmer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jsb View Post
    Not one thing cost us the game. I get so sick of blaming DG or blaming Hoiberg or blaming Anderson (there's a post on CR right now doing that).

A hundred little things cost us the game. And a hundred little things had us close enough to win with a few seconds left.

Did Hoiberg make some mistakes---yes. Did DG make some mistakes---yes. Did Ejim make some mistkkes---yes. The list goes on and on.

We played a team that is probably pretty equal to us. We lost by one of the road. If you were watching TV today you would have noted that Michigan State is ranked and lost on the road to Penn STate. Kansas State is ranked and lost on the road by double digits to OSU. Missouri is ranked and got blown out by Colorado.
    Yes, this is true of any game ever played. But get real, you should not lose with 6 seconds and the ball. No excuse for that. Lose in overtime, ok, but not in regulation with 6 seconds and the ball.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Yes, this is true of any game ever played. But get real, you should not lose with 6 seconds and the ball. No excuse for that. Lose in overtime, ok, but not in regulation with 6 seconds and the ball.

True enough, but maybe this was our payback for the lucky break we got against Creighton :)

Seeing what I've seen from this team this year, I think and hope we'll learn from it.

It is just annoying having a breakdown on this board after every loss.

Pro
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,401
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

True enough, but maybe this was our payback for the lucky break we got against Creighton :)

Seeing what I've seen from this team this year, I think and hope we'll learn from it.

You know, I've thought about this...and I disagree. I think it's annoying that some people go way overboard with their reaction, but breakdowns after some tough losses are good signs. It shows that people care. We could be like a few other schools that come to mind, wink wink, and not give a ****. But I'll take our passion over their passive attitude any day of the week.

Bench Warmer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Not trying to be a *** :)

Just think we kind of screwed the pooch on this one.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CloneState1028 View Post
    You know, I've thought about this...and I disagree. I think it's annoying that some people go way overboard with their reaction, but breakdowns after some tough losses are good signs. It shows that people care. We could be like a few other schools that come to mind, wink wink, and not give a ****. But I'll take our passion over their passive attitude any day of the week.

You know what, you can still care and not make stupid attacks against players. DG could part the ocean and feed 500 people with 2 fish and some on this board would still blame him for not feeding 1000 people!

That's the kind of crap, I gt tired of. And I get tired that we all assume we are right about things. Very few of us know enough about basketball why a certain play fails or works. We might have an idea, but we don't know as much as those out there doing it.

So I think, in general, we can talk about things, but maybe not make blanket statements.

Bench Warmer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't think I made any blanket statements. I gave my opinion as why I thought the play was unsuccessful, and what (in my opinion) would have been better.

If you can't have opinions you can move to Russia.

Again, I would have been ok with losing in OT, I just don't see any reason why you lose a game in regulation with 6 seconds and the ball.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 167

The only thing I think Fred could have done different, is when Nebraska called timeout to see who was going to inbound the ball - would have been to change the play, having someone else do it. But that's a nit-pick - he wanted to go with what he felt is best option was.

To blame this on coaching is just naive. Fred played with 7 guys. One of which didn't play the 2nd half (Bubu), one that is hurt (Scotty) and 2 more that struggled with foul trouble (DG, JVB). Their bench played 47 minutes, ours played 29.

And we still had a great shot to win the game if the players execute down the stretch. Frankly, Fred deserves a medal last night for not having got run out of that gym.

Starter
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    The only thing I think Fred could have done different, is when Nebraska called timeout to see who was going to inbound the ball - would have been to change the play, having someone else do it. But that's a nit-pick - he wanted to go with what he felt is best option was.

To blame this on coaching is just naive. Fred played with 7 guys. One of which didn't play the 2nd half (Bubu), one that is hurt (Scotty) and 2 more that struggled with foul trouble (DG, JVB). Their bench played 47 minutes, ours played 29.

And we still had a great shot to win the game if the players execute down the stretch. Frankly, Fred deserves a medal last night for not having got run out of that gym.

Not true. I was at the game and all 5 of ISU players were in the lane. I had no idea what the alignment was going to be and wondered why Doc took the timeout so quickly.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 212
    Given: 237

I don't really agree. I think they got too fancy with the play. Why have them run the play back though the inbounder. Just throw it in to Diante or Jake at the top of the key and work it from there. They rushed it too much by trying to run back through the inbounder. That left Nebby with time to drive the entire length of the floor. You need to throw it out top and burn a couple seconds dribbling, and not leave time for Nebby to do anything.

I love Fred too. But criticism is deserved here.
    Wow, what a ridiculous post. Having your best player of the night take a drive to the hole is so fancy. Fred should be fired on the spot.

I call troll.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 107

My only beef with the coaching was slowing down the offense and just trying to kill the clock with about 2:30 left.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.