Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 269
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Where did anyone take us (football)?

Quote Originally Posted by TFEUXCAKS View Post
    Anyway, about football. I think the best years for ISU football was the Majors and Bruce era. Bruce was good for a while because he had Majors' players. I only remember one year when ISU was ranked in the top 20 in the final poll. Anyone remember when?
    I believe it was the 8-4 year. But that really was the point in our football history when we could have gone either way. Up had coaches stayed or down if they left and admins soiled the chance. Obviously we tanked.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

No, we were 25th in the final 2000 poll. 9-3 got us in, the *** whoopins from kNU, A&M, and especially K State were forgotten.

The future was there, nobody wanted Dan, but he aligned himself hard with TCU, got the extension, and led us through the golden age of Cyclone football that we have experienced the past 6 seasons.

EDIT

I was only 6-7 at the time, but didn't the 76 team (that kicked kNU's ***, went 8-3, and didn't make a bowl) finish like 17th in the final poll.

Again I was too young, but my brother tells the story, that Earle took a round about trip from the motel, past all of the fraternities, with people up, and getting crazy. Then they went through the parking lots and saw how ready the fans were to beat the Huskers. There was no way we were losing that game that day.

My brother sat in the upper deck, and said that the whole thing was shaking. I have been in JTS quite a few times, and I have heard it get pretty loud, but never like that.

Last edited by darts180; 08-09-2007 at 06:45 PM.
    Jeffrey A Crawford

Pro
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 726
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 28

I stood on the sidelines during the '76 win over the Huskers, and to this day, that was the most dominating, and feared, team Iowa State ever put on the field. Say what you want about 'ole "Jelly Roll", as the players use to call him, but Earle Bruce was on the sidelines when the Cyclones had a legit top 20 defense and offense. Still ranks today as the most laden pro talent team ever to play football in Ames.

Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 409
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

ISU finished ranked 19th in the 1976 season.
    http://www.infoplease.com/ipsa/A0746914.html

In 2000-1 they finished 25th.
    http://www.infoplease.com/ipsa/A0880242.html

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 282
    Given: 185

Quote Originally Posted by darts180 View Post
    No, we were 25th in the final 2000 poll. 9-3 got us in, the *** whoopins from kNU, A&M, and especially K State were forgotten.

The future was there, nobody wanted Dan, but he aligned himself hard with TCU, got the extension, and led us through the golden age of Cyclone football that we have experienced the past 6 seasons.

EDIT

I was only 6-7 at the time, but didn't the 76 team (that kicked kNU's ***, went 8-3, and didn't make a bowl) finish like 17th in the final poll.

Again I was too young, but my brother tells the story, that Earle took a round about trip from the motel, past all of the fraternities, with people up, and getting crazy. Then they went through the parking lots and saw how ready the fans were to beat the Huskers. There was no way we were losing that game that day.

My brother sat in the upper deck, and said that the whole thing was shaking. I have been in JTS quite a few times, and I have heard it get pretty loud, but never like that.
    The stadium got that loud for "the run..."

Also, the 2000 Nebraska game was a lot closer than the final score indicated. It was a great game through most of three quarters, but an ill-advised halfback option pass (that's right - at one time Mac DID open up the playbook...) that was picked off pretty much was the end of it for us.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 42

It was a great game through most of three quarters, but an ill-advised halfback option pass
    I remember that, unreal. I believe we led them at halftime like 14-13, something like that. We were only down like 2 TDs with lots of time when the halfback pass occured if memory serves me right.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

The stadium rocked from the opening kickoff for the 1976 Huskers game. Both goal posts were dismantled a couple minutes before the game concluded.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,467
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 14

If there were as many bowls back then as there are now, the '76 team (in today's terms) would have probably went to at least the Alamo Bowl. That's how many bowls there are now... Instead they didn't make any at 8-3 after beating the #7 and #9 teams in the country.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

It's all about money. In Mac's tenure he was 2nd to last in assistant salary budget and recruiting budget in the Big 12. You can't get the recruits or top tier assistants w/o $. Mac did a fabulous job with what he had to work with. To quote Mr. 2Pac "he made a dollar out of 15 cents."

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    The stadium got that loud for "the run..."

One (great) play versus 60 minutes of domination over the #7 team in the country, I gotta go with 60.

Also, the 2000 Nebraska game was a lot closer than the final score indicated. It was a great game through most of three quarters, but an ill-advised halfback option pass (that's right - at one time Mac DID open up the playbook...) that was picked off pretty much was the end of it for us.
    One (of many) things that I never understood about McCarney was how he had such a poor feel for the game. Always behind in adjustments, mind boggling decisions, and just picking bad spots for anything out of the norm.

Speaking of him going for it, I remember Shreveport against Miami. I was watching the game with some football people, who weren't ISU fans per se, but knew a lot of people. They kept telling me, you guys should win by 2-3 TD's. I explained the Dan axiom of getting a lead, and hanging on as tight as you can hoping the clock runs out before the other team catches you.

I guaranteed that we would have a lot of yards, they wouldn't have many, and that the game would go to the last minute. Bret, and Stevie had 120-130 yards each, and Bret had 150ish passing (forgive me for not having exact numbers, I was really drunk during that game).

Anyway, it's 17-13, and they pin us deep in our territory. We look like a football team, and drive it out of there. We get to their around 30-35, and get stopped making it 4th and 2. I say "Oh my God, he's going to go for it." Everybodies like noooo, he'll take the 5 yards, and bury them, make them go 85-90 yards. But he did, he just went for it, of course we were stopped. Fortunately for old Mac, Ellis Hobbes bailed him out, but there I am taking all kinds of **** for this call, my cell blows up, and I have to take more **** for what an idiot my coach is/was.

Someone who has a lot of free time (22) should go through a retrospective of Dan. You can make two versions. One with TD, DD, wins over Iowa, 2000, Seneca, 04-05, and the Missouri game.

The second one should be called "What the **** Dan?????" Go through and find all kinds of stunningly bad decisions that he made over the years.

Jeffrey A Crawford

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by checker21 View Post
    It's all about money. In Mac's tenure he was 2nd to last in assistant salary budget and recruiting budget in the Big 12. You can't get the recruits or top tier assistants w/o $. Mac did a fabulous job with what he had to work with. To quote Mr. 2Pac "he made a dollar out of 15 cents."

Ahhhhh.......The famous no money argument.

He had more before him, so that means that since his winning percentage is pretty similar, then they (Walden, Criner, Duncan) each did a more fabulous job than Danno.

And football is what drive an athletic department's budget. Don't you think that it's ironic that we set donation records after he leaves???

Jeffrey A Crawford

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Or is it possible that in the 70's and 80's when other colleges budgets started on a steady rise that ISU kept there's about the same? Also, football is always the biggest money maker for 90% of the colleges. Even Duke's football take home would rival their basketball's take home because of conference pay out of bowl games.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The '71 team that finished 8-4 (which my brother was a tri-captain of) was THE BEST year of the old Big 8

In "those days" there was only the Top 20.

Coaches Poll (which was taken more seriously at that time) had

1. NU
    2. OU
    3. CU

and at No. 17 - IOWA STATE

That was the first time they finished ranked in a poll...

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CTTB78 View Post
    I stood on the sidelines during the '76 win over the Huskers, and to this day, that was the most dominating, and feared, team Iowa State ever put on the field. Say what you want about 'ole "Jelly Roll", as the players use to call him, but Earle Bruce was on the sidelines when the Cyclones had a legit top 20 defense and offense. Still ranks today as the most laden pro talent team ever to play football in Ames.

Man, its great to talk about pro talent from ISU teams. The 70-72 teams were pretty stacked also.

Dean Carlson - QB with the Chiefs
    Otto Stowe - WR Dolphins
    Keith Krepkle (sp?) - TE Eagles

and the two best
    George Amundson - RB Oilers (the original Austin Flynn)
    Matt Blair - LB Vikings

Oh what could have been, if the '70s moment never died

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 409
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonelifer View Post
    The '71 team that finished 8-4 (which my brother was a tri-captain of) was THE BEST year of the old Big 8

In "those days" there was only the Top 20.

Coaches Poll (which was taken more seriously at that time) had

1. NU
    2. OU
    3. CU

and at No. 17 - IOWA STATE

That was the first time they finished ranked in a poll...
    I remeber it that way too. (I was a freshman in '71.) I recall MU finishing 9th. But the writers poll doesn't reflect this. ISU wasn't ranked. LINK: http://www.infoplease.com/ipsa/A0746841.html

I need to find the coaches poll.