Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 42

Tailgating Bus - Drivers License

I am looking at getting a short bus, Ford E450 20 passenger bus, that looks like a van front with the bus in the back as a tailgating vehicle. I would be removing some seats and at most would have anywhere between 10-15 people in it. More than likely 10. Does anyone know what type of Drivers license/endorsements I would need? I believe I have heard people registering their bus as recreational vehicles.
    Thanks for any insight you can shed.

Cyclone Sports: The next best thing since MOTHER'S MILK!

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 488
    Given: 940

Re: Tailgating Bus - Drivers License

Quote Originally Posted by yler4cy View Post
    I am looking at getting a short bus, Ford E450 20 passenger bus, that looks like a van front with the bus in the back as a tailgating vehicle. I would be removing some seats and at most would have anywhere between 10-15 people in it. More than likely 10. Does anyone know what type of Drivers license/endorsements I would need? I believe I have heard people registering their bus as recreational vehicles.
    Thanks for any insight you can shed.
    We all drive our full size bus with just a regular driver's license. I don't believe you need anything special unless you are driving it commercially.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,115
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 301
    Given: 625

Register it as a "Registered RV" and you won't need a special license. I have a semi tractor that was converted into a motorhome (toterhome) that I use to haul around my racecar. Even though the thing is bigger than a semi it is considered a "registered rv" and no special license is needed.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Ours is registered as an RV as well. I believe it is harder to insure if it isn't as well.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 148

Like they said, you can get around any special licensing by registration. Otherwise a chaufeurs(sp) license is what you would need. A CDL is required for anything over 15 passengers but anything under is the chauffeurs, which is gained through a pretty simple written test.

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

...so if I registered it as an "register RV" what happens if I get pulled over and have 10-15 passengers in it? Last, has anyone used it on the side to possibly rent out to earn some extra $$?

EDIT: Thanks for all the information already given.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

...so if I registered it as an "register RV" what happens if I get pulled over and have 10-15 passengers in it? Last, has anyone used it on the side to possibly rent out to earn some extra $$?

Pretty much every RAGBRAI bus (which ours is) has over 10-15 people in it on the way out to the start and way back from the end and I have never heard of any issues with being pulled over and getting clocked for capacity. We haven't been pulled over but have had law enforcement stop when we have had a mechanical issue and they have never said a word about us having up to 30 on board.

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 44

If you rent it out, it depends on what the renter is using it for. If they charge the passengers a fee, I believe that whoever operates the bus would need a chauffer's license, with an air-brake certification if your bus has them. Otherwise, if it's just to haul people to and from for no charge, I think a regular DL would do. I would also make sure the vehicle is insured for all drivers if you plan to rent it.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right!!

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

there's a couple old threads on this that might help ... but I can't find them.

1) get it registered as an RV. there may be a couple small mod you need to make - but make it work. Also try a number of insurance companies - getting it insured is the most difficult part sometimes.

2) Never "rent it out" - let people "borrow it" and they can hand cash to you for no particular reason if they want to at the end of the night. Its not worth it if you want to be legitimate about it.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clones_jer View Post
    there's a couple old threads on this that might help ... but I can't find them.

1) get it registered as an RV. there may be a couple small mod you need to make - but make it work. Also try a number of insurance companies - getting it insured is the most difficult part sometimes.

2) Never "rent it out" - let people "borrow it" and they can hand cash to you for no particular reason if they want to at the end of the night. Its not worth it if you want to be legitimate about it.
    He's right, be very careful about renting it. It can nullify your insurance just when you really need it and set you up for all sorts of unwanted liability. I would be pretty careful about even letting people borrow it. We have had one of our guys drive it for someone once in a while so we know that someone isn't going to get drunk and kill someone driving an unfamiliar vehicle. We have only done that for people we know and maybe asked them to pay for the filling it up when we take it out (empty) and when it comes back. A free tank of gas on our gas guzzler is a pretty good payment. The driver can do what he wants about hinting to his buddy that he knows that a little something for the effort would be nice.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 447
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

In terms of insurance, you will find very few companies that will insure a bus. Call Progressive, they will do it, and it is covered as a bus as it should be. Some comapnies will insure a bus for a church or a school, but insurance companies are not dumb, they know if it is not a church or a school it is for party or tailgating purposes. Other people may have them insured elsewhere, but try Progressive, you will not have an issue if there is a problem. Sometimes agents try or do insure it as an RV instead only to have a problem come claim time when the adjustors relize this is a bus, not truly an RV. Good luck. I do sell this type of coverage if you need it and you agent cannot help you out. Send me a message if you need help.

Many Years Of Cyclone Logos

Rookie
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Do not rent it out or let others "borrow" it. One screw up out of your control and you will be brought in as a participant in any lawsuit as the owner of the vehicle regardless of who "rented or borrowed" it and whatever insurance they would have coverage under by their provider. Signed releases at rental do not relieve ownership liability either. Things like brake pad depth, current inspections, etc. come into play. Laws in this country generally follow "if you own it, you own the problem".

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,115
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 301
    Given: 625

If this qualifies as a "Registered RV" I think you can get your tailgate bus to also.

[ Darrell Lanigan Autosports || Pics ]

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the info. I will have to get more information on what constitutes it as an RV and go from there.