Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 0

OT: Cat Owners

My cat is ******* all over the place. Rugs, laundry, blankets, etc. It's been going on for a long time and we've done all the recommended stuff by any cat website we can find. He finally kind of had the last straw as he peed on our less than 6 month old couch last night and the thing reeks terribly. I've been doing my best to clean it tonight but I'm afraid it's going to stink forever.

Two part question here: Anybody know any good products that get cat pee stink out, and does anybody have any last ditch efforts to make a cat stop doing it. I've never liked the SOB (I married in as he was my wife's) and she has pretty much said she wants to get rid of him. I don't want to take him to a shelter because nobody wants a 5 year old cat that pisses all over the place. It's a death sentence for him. But with this couch now we've probably spent hundreds of dollars on cleaning stuff and replacing stuff he's peed or pooped on. He never had a problem using his litterbox until now.

I hate to think of a pet as a sunk cost... but he's wearing my patience thin.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Re: OT: Cat Owners

I also married into a cat ... have you tried kicking it? Watch out though - if the little woman sees you you're out of luck in the bedroom that night

Speechless
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,537
    Given: 731

Jan Michaelson has been talking about a peroxide and baking powder solution that is supposed to eliminate any smell, even skunk. Not sure of the mixture though. Have you had the cat fixed? My cat started doing that, so I had his nuts cut. I'm not sure if being neutered fixed the problem, or if he was just worried what I might do next

All-Star
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 425
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 5

That rug really tied the room together.

It sounds like you know what has to be done but need some reassurance that it's the right thing. Talk to your vet, but be ready for the possibility that euthanasia may be best for pet and owner. (Euthanasia of the cat, that is.)

Yeah well, ya know, that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    My cat is ******* all over the place. Rugs, laundry, blankets, etc. It's been going on for a long time and we've done all the recommended stuff by any cat website we can find. He finally kind of had the last straw as he peed on our less than 6 month old couch last night and the thing reeks terribly. I've been doing my best to clean it tonight but I'm afraid it's going to stink forever.

Two part question here: Anybody know any good products that get cat pee stink out, and does anybody have any last ditch efforts to make a cat stop doing it. I've never liked the SOB (I married in as he was my wife's) and she has pretty much said she wants to get rid of him. I don't want to take him to a shelter because nobody wants a 5 year old cat that pisses all over the place. It's a death sentence for him. But with this couch now we've probably spent hundreds of dollars on cleaning stuff and replacing stuff he's peed or pooped on. He never had a problem using his litterbox until now.

Recently, one of our two cats, Cat X, began to pee outside the litter box. On the carpet, in the kitchen sink, etc.

Turns out there was a medical reason for her change in litter box behavior. Originally, the veterinarian diognosed the problem to be a viral infection and prescribed a medication and some herbs. That failed to solve the problem. Ultimately, she was diognosed with a stone in her bladder and that required surgery. Since her surgery, she has been fine.

Once Cat X began to pee outside the litter box, our other cat, Cat Y, who has never peed out outside the litter box in some 14 years, also began to pee on the carpet, tile floor, rug, etc. For some reason, Cat Y decided that if it was OK for Cat X to pee everywhere, it was OK for her too.

At various times we have asked our veterinarian and other veteran cat owners what we should do. Various suggestions have been to try to change the brand of litter and see if that solves the problem. If you spot your cat about to toilet outside the litter box, pick up your cat and place it in the litter box and verbally encourage it to pee there (this worked with Cat Y).

We use Woolite Pet Stain and Odor Remover.

Last edited by Johnny Tremain; 08-08-2007 at 10:03 PM.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 590
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 17

Have you taken it to a vet?

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Recently, one of our two cats, Cat X, began to pee outside the litter box. On the carpet, in the kitchen sink, etc.

Turns out there was a medical reason for her change in litter box behavior. Originally, the veterinarian diognosed the problem to be a viral infection and prescribed a medication and some herbs. That failed to solve the problem. Ultimately, she was diognosed with a stone in her bladder and that required surgery. Since her surgery, she has been fine.

Once Cat X began to pee outside the litter box, our other cat, Cat Y who has never peed out outside the litter box in some 14 years, also began to pee on the carpet, tile floor, rug, etc. For some reason, Cat Y decided that if it was OK for Cat X to pee everywhere, it was OK for her too.

At various times we have asked our veterinarian and other veteran cat owners what we should do. Various suggestions have been to try to change the brand of litter and see if that solves the problem. If you spot your cat about to toilet outside the litter box, pick up your cat and place it in the litter box and verbally encourage it to pee there (this worked with Cat Y).

We use Woolite Pet Stain and Oder Remover.

All-Star
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,141
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Cats are creatures of habit, you said your cat used to routinely go to the bathroom in the litter box but doesn't anymore. Something had to have disrupted it's normal routine. Try to remember any changes that occured around the time it started misbehaving. Other than that you don't have entirely too many options. Your cat may have to become accustomed to the outdoors. You might even want to start looking into a new home for your animal. Usually friends who live on a farm are very willing to acquire a cat if its personable, even if its messy. Unfortunately there is only one habit a cat has, and that is to serve itself. If the cat sees that going to the bathroom in a litter box is in its best interest, it will. Other rooms in the house are much more accessable however. Try using a different litter or box. Instinct tells a cat to mask its urine. If your box had just been getting old or the litter was ineffective the cat may have sought alternatives.

While I am not an animal rights activist I applaud your decision not to take it to an animal shelter. Too often people invest into pets for the novelty only to last as long as the effect does. These animals are disregarded at animal shelters or abandoned miles away from their home. Not only is it unfair to the pets but for the others who have to pick up the slack, whether it is money for an animal shelter or a farmhouse who feeds the strays.

I hate when people buy a pet without considering the consequences along with the advantages. One of my largest pet peeves. Not intended toward yourself. Good luck.

Kinnick smells like syrup.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 110

No suggestions on removing the smell, but I can tell you that our family's cat had this same problem. He would poop and **** on just about every rug in the house.....the vet found out that he is diabetic. Once he was put on insulin, everything was fine. No issues since then.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

My wife went to her parents and I took the cats to the Animal Rescue league. She wasn't happy about it but she now knows that we couldnt have cats ******* in the house!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 869
    Given: 619

Febreeze Antimicrobial is really good at getting out cat urine smells.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 811
    Given: 787

We had a 3 year old cat do pretty much the same things as you are describing. We took it to a shelter, and a family did take it. Obviously, you can't keep it because its destroying your home, so there is hope in a shelter.

@RandomGeoFacts

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 590
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 17

Euthanizing the cat or giving it to the shelter without having done any type of diagnostic workup is a complete cop-out. Any vet with ethics would not euthanize the cat without doing any diagnostics to find out the primary issue.

here are alot of things that can cause cats to urinate around the house. Many are treatable even some of the behavioral issues in which there is no medical reason the cat is having urinary issues.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I love cats, but I also love making fun of cats, as well as cat-lovers without a sense of humor. (There are a large proportion of humor-less people who love cats.)

Did you know that a cat will swim like h*ll, in a live trap, for about a minute?

I'd also recommend CB Longs for your feline urinary problems.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Make sure the litterbox is clean. Our cat has a timer and if it ever hits 8 days since it was cleaned he will go elsewhere. He also has some kind of attachment disorder or something, because if we are ever gone for more than 2 days or so he will go elsewhere. Still haven't figured that one out. Unneutered cats also have a bad habit of marking things, so get it neutered if need be. We just use the target brand pet stain cleaner and it seems to work fine. The friend with farm option is probably the best resort if nothing works.