Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Sleeping with the enemy...what do I do?

Ok first a confession. My wife...is...a...hawkeye fan. Uh I feel a little better for getting that off my chest. The sad part is she isn't even a legit fan...she was raised that way and never went to school at U of I.

Does anyone else have to deal with this? Or has there been anyone to successfully convert a hawkeye to a Cyclone. I'm working on it.

I now have her to the point that she will cheer for both teams unless they are playing each other. And because I often talk about our teams whether she is actually listening or not...she honestly knows more about the Cyclones than her so called beloved hawkeyes. A while back I figured out the best way was to not push the Cyclones, and to hold back on the hawkeye bashing in her presence. This has allowed her to slowly accept the Cyclones and I have even caught her cheering for the Cyclones over Iowa in sports such as volleyball, wrestling, soccer, womens bball etc. However it's the mens bball and football that I have yet to break her on.

Any suggestions?

Finally I apologize in advance, for my birthday she got me season hillside tickets for Cyclone football...but she has already warned me that for the iowa - ISU game...she is wearing black and gold...somebody kill me now! My only hope is that we destroy them and that pushes her over the edge and away from the darkside.

Please give me ideas or tell me your own story so that I don't feel like im the only one out there that will be bringing an enemy into JTS.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,525
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 64

Re: Sleeping with the enemy...what do I do?

I'll pray for you brother. Hopefully it is just a bug and the symptoms will pass quickly and without leaving any scarring once you get her into a positive environment and get her around a bunch of Clone's. I would think the first thing she would notice is that there is more common sense in a Cyclone fans fingernail then there is in a whole herd of Chicken hawks.

Good luck man..

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

wait til next year, have her wear a ISU t-shirt for the Iowa game at Kinnick, the a-holes themselves converted my wife by half time.

Pro
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,005
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 28

You're on the right track with not pushing the Cyclones on her and not bashing the hawks. I'm in your boat as well and the constant bashing of the hawks only seemed to strenghten her resolve (you know women). Just keep showing ISU in the best light and if you have kids you absoluting have to raise them 100% Cyclone...not many mothers will cheer against their kids favorite team. I say in 10 years she will be 95% Cyclone with only a few feelings for the other side. I've pretty much converted mine and I know another ISU grad who has nearly turned his life-long hawk wife, it's very do-able. Good luck!

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131
    Given: 201

The only weapon I have found to be sure fire when working with my wife-sex. The best thing you can do is hold out, withholding sex is the best weapon...try that and let me know how that goes.

j

As far as depth goes though, the combination of White, Woodbury, Olaseni, Basabe, and Uthoff is much better than Niang, Ejim, Edozie, Gibson. Not because of the top 2, but because of the next 2 or 3. -DeanVogs

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

good luck Cyano....

in a related topic.... my girlfriend is a Wisconsin Badger (former UW volleyball player)... and she even got me a Wisconsin t-shirt... it felt wierd putting it on, and I prayed to the Cyclone Gods to forgive for wearing another teams shirt, but they are Big 10 and not rivals with ISU, so I figured it was ok... sorta. She will own an ISU t-shirt before long...

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Starter Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

This sounds shockingly familiar to me. My girlfriend is a Hawkeye, and she also got me tickets on the hillside this year. She has informed me that she will be in Hawk gear on game day as well. I simply smiled at her sweetly and said in a kind voice, "Over my dead body, punkin." We'll see how much weight that pulled on the 15th. Perhaps there is a support group for Cyclones with this challenge?

Attempting to debate with a person who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to the dead. - Thomas Paine

Legend
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 223
    Given: 325

Let her be an Iowa fan and then when you walk by obnoxious hawk fans just say something like "that's typical" or "I bet they make you proud".

All-Star
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 222
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

I've got a similar problem, not that most of you would be simpithetic. I'm a cardinals fan and I married a cubs fan. Not that she could name any of the players but her dad is a cubs fan so she thinks she has to be.

Starter
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 621
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by acs4isu View Post
    "Over my dead body, punkin."
    Yeah, I believe I said something similar or to the point of, "you're joking, right?" From her look I took it as though she wasn't joking. Maybe if we start now we can slowly and secretly remove all black and hawkeye related articles from the closets, then perfect the look of I don't know where they went...I had nothing to do with it look. Buying a few cute Cyclone tees wouldn't hurt either, maybe if it's cute enough they won't notice what team it is.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 162

Hold up.

When I met you two at the Cap. City League games - she portrayed herself as a Drake fan. Not once did I catch a hit of her being a Hawk fan.

I was lied to. I feel...so empty inside...so...cold.

However...you know those t-shirts that really began surfacing after the '98 win over Iowa in football? Ya'll know which ones I'm talking about.

Well sir, you get to do that anytime you want. For that, I give you major credit.

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Hold up.
    However...you know those t-shirts that really began surfacing after the '98 win over Iowa in football? Ya'll know which ones I'm talking about.

Well sir, you get to do that anytime you want. For that, I give you major credit.
    Yes indeed... and I LIKE it! You'll get to meet my lil hawk at the Kent State game 22. I think the three of us can show her the error of her ways.

Attempting to debate with a person who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to the dead. - Thomas Paine

All-Star
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 9

Wink Re: Sleeping with the enemy...what do I do?

One of my best friends, a life-long season ticket holder, married a Hawk fan (second marriage for both). He didn't push it and even allowed her to wear Hawk clothes to our Cyclone tailgates. It took three seasons to convert her, but by all appearances she's completely switched sides, so there's hope for you! Good luck with the "slow play"!

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyano View Post
    Yeah, I believe I said something similar or to the point of, "you're joking, right?" From her look I took it as though she wasn't joking. Maybe if we start now we can slowly and secretly remove all black and hawkeye related articles from the closets, then perfect the look of I don't know where they went...I had nothing to do with it look. Buying a few cute Cyclone tees wouldn't hurt either, maybe if it's cute enough they won't notice what team it is.
    She did see a black tee that said Cyclones on it, and she said "this is cute! oh... never mind" so there may be merit in your plan... hmmmmm

Pro
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,005
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 28

I hope this doesn't come across sexiest...but your right. If you plunk down some good coin on some of the more nice/pricier ISU clothes I'd bet she couldn't resist. Women like looking cute above all athletic loyalties, believe me.