Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Cyclones 46th in Sagarin RPI

I was surprised to see ISU at 46th in the Sagarin RPI ratings listed in the USA Today. Other Big 12 RPI's: KU - 3, Missouri - 16, Texas - 18, Tex A&M - 23, K-State - 27, OSU - 53, Nebbie - 60, Baylor - 72, Colorado - 92, OU - 152, andTex Tech - 157. Also notable - UNI is 99 and Iowa is 129.

Not sure how much stock to put into the Sagarin ratings, but it seems like we could do ok in the Big 12 this year - much better than the pre-season forecasts (which I believe had us last).

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 409
    Given: 296

Re: Cyclones 46th in Sagarin RPI

Must have been the Iowa loss last night to OSU brought all of us up.....how is creighton doing?

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 461
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 6

I think that the absolute best case scenario for us would be that the season ends with that order as the Big 12 standings. Of course, I think that is very highly unlikely, but there does seem to be a noticeable drop after K-State. We could fight for 6th, 7th, or 8th if all goes (very) well. More likely though, I think we'll be 8th or 9th.

Recruit
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Must have been the Iowa loss last night to OSU brought all of us up.....how is creighton doing?
    Creighton is 105

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by GlenEllynClone View Post
    I was surprised to see ISU at 46th in the Sagarin RPI ratings listed in the USA Today. Other Big 12 RPI's: KU - 3, Missouri - 16, Texas - 18, Tex A&M - 23, K-State - 27, OSU - 53, Nebbie - 60, Baylor - 72, Colorado - 92, OU - 152, andTex Tech - 157. Also notable - UNI is 99 and Iowa is 129.

Not sure how much stock to put into the Sagarin ratings, but it seems like we could do ok in the Big 12 this year - much better than the pre-season forecasts (which I believe had us last).
    I'm not sure about "sagarin RPI". Never paid attention to it before. That is not the real RPI. For actual RPI and most accurate SOS Calcs should be looking at realtimerpi. It is almost a perfect reflection of what the NCAA uses including OOC SOS adjustments.

Sargarin is very useful and quite accurate when using his PREDICTOR rankings. (at least as accurate as most). His predictor is widely sited and used to make betting spreads in many cases. Again this is his PREDICTOR ratings not his RPI. Not sure what his RPI is reflecting. If it's expected end of year RPI, then that is looking a little high, but plausable and starting to gain some "momentum."

Our current real RPI is around 100. I think that our ending RPI will be in the 50's or 60's. If in fact that is predicting the final RPI, It is the best I've seen the cyclones ranked, and would reflect ISU winning at least 9 more games.

I see now that it is his predictor ranking tha you are talking about. That is quite encouraging. The only problem with predictor rating right now is that it gets more accurate later in the season, and that there is limited ajustment for how little we've shown on the road and it's adjustment for home/road isn't coming into play as much as it will at the end of the season. It takes into margin of victory, and we've blown out some teams. It will smooth out, and It is going to be hard to keep our rankings that high. We are back close to where I expect our peak to be after a 7 game win streak.

Last edited by mikeiastat; 01-05-2011 at 02:25 PM.

Recruit
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

My gut it telling me that 8 -9 is about right just not sure if we got enough in us to win that 1 or 2 games at home that we shouldn't

Addict
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,927
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 426

[QUOTE=mikeiastat;2081343Sargarin is very useful and quite accurate when using his PREDICTOR rankings. (at least as accurate as most). His predictor is widely sited and used to make betting spreads in many cases. Again this is his PREDICTOR ratings not his RPI. Not sure what his RPI is reflecting. If it's expected end of year RPI, then that is looking a little high, but plausable and starting to gain some "momentum." [/QUOTE]

I've used Sagarin for sports pools, and it's dependable picking games over an entire NFL season. Not so good w/ MBB or college football and not great if you have a small set of games.

I've used the Predictor number, which I think also takes into account scoring margin.
    So if people want to be giddy about Sagarin w/ this team, that's even better, because ISU is 38th.

Its other line, ELO Chess, disregards point spread, and ISU is 65th in that list.

It becomes more reliable as more games are played, which is why I'm hesitant to give it much weight even at this point.

Bass Lake Beacon: The best in local news satire

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 8

They were just talking on the radio ISU had the worst rating in the Big 12 on "realtimerpi" we were in the 300's. KSU was the highest in the Big 12 at 64.

EDIT they may have been talking about just schedule strength on that I didn't catch it all.

Last edited by flander1649; 01-05-2011 at 02:49 PM.
    Kyle S. Flander