Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

tOSU Shows it Can Match SEC in Speed, Power and Questionable Ethics

Congratulations, Ohio State. You snapped a nine-game losing streak to the SEC in bowl games with your 31-26 Sugar Bowl win against Arkansas. When some Southerner starts talking about all that "ESSS EEEEE SEEEEE speed," you may remind him of the times Buckeyes receivers raced past Arkansas defensive backs or the times Ohio State defensive end Cameron Heyward blew past the Razorbacks' linemen.
    Unfortunately, there is now one thing you can't do.
    Thanks to the events of the past month, you've forfeited the right to the moral superiority you've enjoyed over the SEC. You can be as good as the SEC on the field, but the human beings in the Big Ten's premier athletic department are no better than the human beings in the athletic departments at the football factories in the SEC. Yes, the SEC oversigns, and that's highly unethical. Yes, SEC programs have players who commit NCAA violations, and that's highly unethical.
    Well guess what? Ohio State also has players who commit NCAA violations. Five of them played Tuesday, and Ohio State wouldn't have won without them.

Ohio State shows Big Ten can rivals SEC's teams and its ethics - Andy Staples - SI.com

Starter
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 1

Re: tOSU Shows it Can Match SEC in Speed, Power and Questionable Ethics

Quote Originally Posted by cigaretteman View Post
    Congratulations, Ohio State. You snapped a nine-game losing streak to the SEC in bowl games with your 31-26 Sugar Bowl win against Arkansas. When some Southerner starts talking about all that "ESSS EEEEE SEEEEE speed," you may remind him of the times Buckeyes receivers raced past Arkansas defensive backs or the times Ohio State defensive end Cameron Heyward blew past the Razorbacks' linemen.
    Thanks to the events of the past month, you've forfeited the right to the moral superiority you've enjoyed over the SEC. You can be as good as the SEC on the field, but the human beings in the Big Ten's premier athletic department are no better than the human beings in the athletic departments at the football factories in the SEC. Yes, the SEC oversigns, and that's highly unethical. Yes, SEC programs have players who commit NCAA violations, and that's highly unethical.
    Well guess what? Ohio State also has players who commit NCAA violations. Five of them played Tuesday, and Ohio State wouldn't have won without them.

Ohio State shows Big Ten can rivals SEC's teams and its ethics - Andy Staples - SI.com
    Maurice Clarette (sp?) should have opened everyones eyes about tOSU back in 2004. They, and the NCAA, made him a scapegoat and didn't change their behavior a bit.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 621
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cigaretteman View Post

I can't believe how bad Arkansas played. Besides the dropped passes, I couldn't believe the poor tackling, poor angles taken, and the flat out ignorant play. If I was Petrino, I would be chewing my DC's ***. They wer fundamentally horrible. The blocked punt was amazing. How one of those two idiots don't run that back for a TD is totally baffling.

Oh, yeah, tOSU has never been on the up and up so nothing has changed inthat regard

"Not at the table Carlos."

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 460
    Given: 907

Quote Originally Posted by tazclone View Post
    I can't believe how bad Arkansas played. Besides the dropped passes, I couldn't believe the poor tackling, poor angles taken, and the flat out ignorant play. If I was Petrino, I would be chewing my DC's ***. They wer fundamentally horrible. The blocked punt was amazing. How one of those two idiots don't run that back for a TD is totally baffling.

Oh, yeah, tOSU has never been on the up and up so nothing has changed inthat regard
    I was sitting there last night and I called the blocked punt. I just had a feeling it was coming. Then I immediately yelled because he fell on the ball instead of picking it up and walking into the end zone. What a moron. What's the worst that can happen if you try to pick it up and fail? An OSU player can come jump on the ball but it is still 4th down and your ball. Awesome block, followed by a bonehead move.

Oh yeah, and tOSU has been dirty for a long time. This was just the most recent and more publicized events. The NCAA suspended them for next year because they didn't want their BCS game to be terrible.

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 441
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I saw the block coming a mile away. I immediately yelled when the ******* fell on the ball instead of taking it to the house. I called the block and I called the pick. Stupid stupid Mallett. He's the next Ryan Leaf. And yes I'm bitter about it because I picked Arkansas and would have had first place in the office pool had they won. A classic choke from the Hogs.

***Undefeated COD Clone Wars Champion***
    ***OP of the Largest Thread on CF***

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,394
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 4

I partially blame the Arkansas OC, they ran the same "dump the ball to the guy standing in the middle of the field three yards from the line of scrimmage" about a million times for gains of about two yards each and the final interception. I'm not a coach and i'm sure there are reasons for it, but it appeared boneheaded to me.

***King of Diplomacy***

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 730
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

The issue of morals should be taken against the NCAA. According to them, those 5 players were eligible to play. This had nothing to do with Ohio State. If you want to talk about morals, $Cam Newton and Auburn (who last time I checked won the Heisman AND is eligible to play for a National Championship...where Auburn wouldn't be without buying him in the first place) should be the primary focus of this season.

Pro
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15

What's the "over" on Pryor, et al returning to watch 5 games next season?

"Me not winning isn't important. You do!"

Addict
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,046
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    I was sitting there last night and I called the blocked punt. I just had a feeling it was coming. Then I immediately yelled because he fell on the ball instead of picking it up and walking into the end zone. What a moron. What's the worst that can happen if you try to pick it up and fail? An OSU player can come jump on the ball but it is still 4th down and your ball. Awesome block, followed by a bonehead move.
    When i was in high school, we blocked a punt and a teammate of mine touched the ball when trying to scoop and score. He couldn't handle it and a guy from the other team landed on the ball.

They received a 1st and 10 from that spot. The referee claimed we had possession of the football and then fumbled it, but that was obviously not the case.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 781
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

And I see nothing has changed on here as far as people unwilling to give OSU credit where credit is due. 9 BCS bowls in a row, winning 6 of them. You could very easily argue OSU has been the best program, certainly the most consistent program, in the nation over that time period.

Last edited by Ficklone02; 01-05-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 273
    Given: 56

Quote Originally Posted by Naughtius View Post
    What's the "over" on Pryor, et al returning to watch 5 games next season?
    I'd be shocked if Pryoer doesn't come back. The DT that made the pick would be lucky to get drafted. Herron isn't a high draft pick either.

The other two Icould go

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,399
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22

Quote Originally Posted by Ficklone02 View Post
    And I see nothing has changed on here as far as people unwilling to give OSU credit where credit is due. 9 BCS bowls in a row, winning 6 of them. You could very easily argue OSU has been the best program, certainly the most consistent program, in the nation over that time period.
    OSU gets a lot of flak on here for their bowl performances yet they've outperformed Oklahoma.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrods79 View Post
    The issue of morals should be taken against the NCAA. According to them, those 5 players were eligible to play. This had nothing to do with Ohio State. If you want to talk about morals, $Cam Newton and Auburn (who last time I checked won the Heisman AND is eligible to play for a National Championship...where Auburn wouldn't be without buying him in the first place) should be the primary focus of this season.
    If tOSU wanted to take the high ground they could suspend the players for the bowl game if the NCAA wont. Instead they "took the fall" by saying they didn't inform the players correctly about the rules, which is complete BS. I'm pretty sure all FBS football players are told they aren't supposed to take free stuff (tattoos).

Don't get me started on $Cam. The funny thing is, as good a college player as he is, he will probably flame out like Vince Young in the NFL.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I give tOSU full credit. They played very well and even overcame a bad call on the safety.
    They have also been a very consisted program and could probably beat Auburn or Oregon if they got the chance.

However, that does not mean that I think Pryor and friends should have been playing in the bowl game. Not for a minute. The NCAA protected their interests and so did tOSU.

Starter
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

If they plan on staying there, they need to step it up. Free tatts, "loaner" cars, cash for autographs and phantom jobs at car dealerships will no longer cut it. Auburn has shown that it takes a minimum of $200,000 to get there.