Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 31

Pitt contacted CPR

Was driving into work this morning and Rivals radio had the guy who runs the Pitt Rivals site on. They were obviously talking head coach options and CPR came up. The Rivals guy said that Pitt DID contact CPR but that he was happy at ISU. Said he was an Iowa guy and didn't seem like he was interested at all with leaving the area. The rivals guy was actually pretty surprised because he thought CPR was pretty high on the list at that point.

Thought that was pretty cool.

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

re: Pitt contacted CPR

That's right stay away Pitt. CPR is here to stay.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 629
    Given: 1,244

Re: Pitt contacted CPR

Pitt is no Auburn and Paul Rhoads is no Chizz.

Thank you, Lord!

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 328
    Given: 43

Pitt's actually not as far away from Auburn as people think especially if you take where Auburn was when Chiz left. Pitt has the money and the prestige in a much easier conference. It's a good job.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,655
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Quote Originally Posted by mustangcy View Post
    Was driving into work this morning and Rivals radio had the guy who runs the Pitt Rivals site on. They were obviously talking head coach options and CPR came up. The Rivals guy said that Pitt DID contact CPR but that he was happy at ISU. Said he was an Iowa guy and didn't seem like he was interested at all with leaving the area. The rivals guy was actually pretty surprised because he thought CPR was pretty high on the list at that point.

Thought that was pretty cool.

Reported on Pitt Rivals and CR sites a couple of weeks ago during Pitt's first search. I love the coaching carousel every year.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    Pitt's actually not as far away from Auburn as people think especially if you take where Auburn was when Chiz left. Pitt has the money and the prestige in a much easier conference. It's a good job.
    Auburn was still a top 10 job in the country when Gene took the job. The spend tons of money on their program, they play in the best conference in America, great weather, tons of local recruits, great fan base, heisman winners, one of the winningest schools in NCAA history, etc.

Pittsburgh can't really match them on anything. They actually have won lots of NCAA titles but that was back in the 1910-1930's. But it's a bad conference with little money coming in.

Addict
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,455
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 279
    Given: 46

Pitt and Auburn are a world apart in college football. Pitt is a decent job and certainly considered better than ISU by most, but Auburn is a top 15 job easily.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 531
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I have to disagree with everything you stated except "easier conference."

Pitts athletic budget is only about $3 million more than ISU's so there is not a large money difference and I imagine in the next few years, ISU will jump most Big East schools including Pitt. Pitt HAD prestige about 20-30 years ago. That all changed in the 90s when they were horrific. The 2000's saw moderate success but most of that is due to the weakening of the conference after VT, BC, and Miami left. Even then, thy have one coonference championshipand BCS bowl in which they got pummeled. While people my age and older remember(barely) when Pitt was a great program, I don't think many think of Pitt as a "prestigious program" anymore. Certainly not anyon eunder the age of 35. It definitely doesn't have the money and prestige of Auburn nor does it come close.

Heck, they have seen more success in MBB than football.

"Not at the table Carlos."

Legend
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 629
    Given: 1,244

You are right. I thought it was close to 1,000 miles. Turns out, it's right about 800. Who knew?

I'm just messing with you, yaman.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 660
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    Auburn was still a top 10 job in the country when Gene took the job. The spend tons of money on their program, they play in the best conference in America, great weather, tons of local recruits, great fan base, heisman winners, one of the winningest schools in NCAA history, etc.

Pittsburgh can't really match them on anything. They actually have won lots of NCAA titles but that was back in the 1910-1930's. But it's a bad conference with little money coming in.
    Agreed. They may have had one mediocre year, but they were and are a top national program. Those guys down at Auburn seem like the mafia or something. If they don't like you, you're gone. And thats what happened to Tubs, who is a great coach.

All-Star
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Pitt will end up hiring another non BCS coach. If you have confidence in yourself and feel you can win national championships in the future and you are a current BCS coach you are not going to take the job at Pitt. Getting BSC coaches is reserved for "football schools" and Pitt is not one of them.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 328
    Given: 43

I guess I was figuring in the fact that you have to work with what I would call a psuedo mob, in their boosters. That is the single worst part of the job IMO. I guess I didn't mention it above but the pressure put on you at Auburn is enormous and the boosters will do things behind your back. To me, that makes a big difference. Pitt is a little lower pressure and you kind of have the ability to run the program and have an idea of whats going on, plus it's easier to win. That's where I was coming from I guess. I wasn't really thinking of the tangible things.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Addict
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 350
    Given: 62

I agree Auburn was a better job than Pitt is but they were not a top ten job.

Off the top of my head Ohio State, Texas, Florida, USC, Alabama, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Michigan, LSU, and PSU are all better jobs.

I think they'd be in a group with FSU, Oregon, and Nebraska somewhere in the top 20 though.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 800
    Given: 1,655

Pitt just doesn't seem willing to open their pocketbook to get an established coach.

Wannstedt was at Pitt for 6 years, won the Big East and went to a BCS game, and they paid him less than we pay CPR. I sincerely doubt that they have a larger assistant coach pool than ISU either.
    No current BCS level coach is going to leave for Pitt unless they offer at least 2 mill a year and up their assistant pool. With Pitts history they have to have enough support to up their coaching dollars somewhat.

Now, if Pitt sucked it up and payed enough to get a good coach, they could get something going. Pitt is not lacking in talent and they have easy access to good recruiting areas. They have a lot of competition in those areas but a good coaching staff could reap rewards. On top of that, if good coaches took advantage of good talent, Pitt could quickly become the class of the Big East. WVA seems like the main long term competitor but I think Pitt can bring in more talent with the right coaches and the right system.

All in all, I am glad that Pitt is unwilling to go all out for a good coach. That means that CPR is that much more secure at ISU.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 800
    Given: 1,655

I guess I was figuring in the fact that you have to work with what I would call a psuedo mob, in their boosters. That is the single worst part of the job IMO. I guess I didn't mention it above but the pressure put on you at Auburn is enormous and the boosters will do things behind your back. To me, that makes a big difference. Pitt is a little lower pressure and you kind of have the ability to run the program and have an idea of whats going on, plus it's easier to win. That's where I was coming from I guess. I wasn't really thinking of the tangible things.
    As I said in my previous post, Pitt COULD be a goldmine if their AD is willing to spend the money on good coaches. I don't think they are at this point since they could only get the Miami (OH) coach and now have to replace him.

Anyone hear any real names (other than CPR declining)? I guess if RichRod gets canned he would be a great possibility.