Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

Hilton atmosphere

A little background: I was in the ISU Pep Band in the late 80's. I played with the Alumni Pep Band last night for the first time in quite a while. I was surprised at how little we actually got to play, and how prevalent the canned music and promotions like the "pasta lift" are.
    I understand that we want a family-friendly environment, so as much as I dislike the helmet shuffles, I realize I'm not the target audience. But although I am biased, it seemed to me that pep band music gave more energy to the crowd than hearing "We Will Rock You" played twice during the same game.
    I'd like to hear your unbiased thoughts (and not just regarding the Alumni Pep Band aspect). Do you like the mix of dead-ball entertainment?

"Me not winning isn't important. You do!"

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Hilton atmosphere

I miss the dancing baby.

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,821
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 2

The regular pep band gets to play more than the alumni pep band did last night. At least you guys got to play more than the Ames High pep band that played during the Dartmouth game.

"Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

-Jimmy Kimmel impersonating Karl Malone

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 10

They're still doing the 'pump the pasta' crap?

All-Star
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 255
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Naughtius View Post
    A little background: I was in the ISU Pep Band in the late 80's. I played with the Alumni Pep Band last night for the first time in quite a while. I was surprised at how little we actually got to play, and how prevalent the canned music and promotions like the "pasta lift" are.
    I understand that we want a family-friendly environment, so as much as I dislike the helmet shuffles, I realize I'm not the target audience. But although I am biased, it seemed to me that pep band music gave more energy to the crowd than hearing "We Will Rock You" played twice during the same game.
    I'd like to hear your unbiased thoughts (and not just regarding the Alumni Pep Band aspect). Do you like the mix of dead-ball entertainment?
    I've failed to miss a home basketball game in the last quarter century, so I feel at least qualified to reply to this.

Last night, the song that got everyone going the most, more than even the fight song, was the Mortal Kombat theme. This isn't unusual, they tend to break it out during the late-game time outs that the visiting team calls to try to take the crowd out of the game, and this song just destroys that plan.

In general, it's a fairly mixed bag. My opinion of the pep band is pretty mixed most of the time. They add a lot to the atmosphere, but some times they seem to simply be tacked on, not adding much with their song selection at times.

That being said, they rarely actually deflate the crowd. While they may not get the crowd pumped up, they rarely hurt either.

That cannot be said for the canned music/promotions.

In the last 3 years, promotions like the pump-up-the-______, Applebees Apple Shuffle, Smile Cam, Flex Cam, etc just kill the crowd. They go silent except for a handful of kids in the stands and a few drunk students. It fully kills the atmosphere.

And I cannot state how bad I think some of the other promotions are. The "best dressed fan" competition always goes to some little kid or group of kids who's parents just bought them a sweatshirt inside the arena. What about the student who dressed like a monkey in coveralls? Or the little girl in the balcony in full cheerleader uniform? Or even the weird faculty member with the hat-of-a-thousand cys?

West Towne Pub's Cyclone Jukebox Pick of the Week: same video as last year with the drunk sweaty guy with the broken neck introducing some lame piece of music we've already heard a half dozen times that game. It kills the crowd, and in the two years its been a staple at home games, only about a dozen people have picked up on the "we love the cyclones" thing that he's trying to start. Time to at least refilm the intro and rethink the music selection.

Shoot Five for Five: I loved it when this blast from the past was going to be brought back, but it's flopping right now. Tron tries way too hard on the mic and it comes across as fake.

I have grown over the last 5 years to really dislike large portions of our game experience. I know ISU is shooting for a more "family friendly" type of atmosphere, but I can tell you, I've been coming to basketball games since I was 4, and aside from Johnny, there was nothing unfriendly to children about the atmosphere before these lame promotions got shoe-horned into the time outs.

Just my take.

"It was like going on vacation to go play Iowa." - Coach Johnny Orr

Pro
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 296
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 29

The band annoys me with their stupid cheers they do sometimes during the game.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 112

Did they build any hamburgers with Angie last night?

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 112

Quote Originally Posted by isufan View Post
    C-Y-C-L-O-N-E P-O-W-E-R.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 105

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomeborg View Post
    I've failed to miss a home basketball game in the last quarter century, so I feel at least qualified to reply to this.

Last night, the song that got everyone going the most, more than even the fight song, was the Mortal Kombat theme. This isn't unusual, they tend to break it out during the late-game time outs that the visiting team calls to try to take the crowd out of the game, and this song just destroys that plan.

In general, it's a fairly mixed bag. My opinion of the pep band is pretty mixed most of the time. They add a lot to the atmosphere, but some times they seem to simply be tacked on, not adding much with their song selection at times.

That being said, they rarely actually deflate the crowd. While they may not get the crowd pumped up, they rarely hurt either.

That cannot be said for the canned music/promotions.

In the last 3 years, promotions like the pump-up-the-______, Applebees Apple Shuffle, Smile Cam, Flex Cam, etc just kill the crowd. They go silent except for a handful of kids in the stands and a few drunk students. It fully kills the atmosphere.

And I cannot state how bad I think some of the other promotions are. The "best dressed fan" competition always goes to some little kid or group of kids who's parents just bought them a sweatshirt inside the arena. What about the student who dressed like a monkey in coveralls? Or the little girl in the balcony in full cheerleader uniform? Or even the weird faculty member with the hat-of-a-thousand cys?

West Towne Pub's Cyclone Jukebox Pick of the Week: same video as last year with the drunk sweaty guy with the broken neck introducing some lame piece of music we've already heard a half dozen times that game. It kills the crowd, and in the two years its been a staple at home games, only about a dozen people have picked up on the "we love the cyclones" thing that he's trying to start. Time to at least refilm the intro and rethink the music selection.

Shoot Five for Five: I loved it when this blast from the past was going to be brought back, but it's flopping right now. Tron tries way too hard on the mic and it comes across as fake.

I have grown over the last 5 years to really dislike large portions of our game experience. I know ISU is shooting for a more "family friendly" type of atmosphere, but I can tell you, I've been coming to basketball games since I was 4, and aside from Johnny, there was nothing unfriendly to children about the atmosphere before these lame promotions got shoe-horned into the time outs.

Just my take.
    True Story: My senior year I sat in with the alumni band for a men's/women's double-header since I was back from break early and bored. I ended up eating lunch with "hat of 1000 Cy's" guy at an alumni function we were invited to. I am pretty sure that man has developed chronic neck pain due to the weight of that hat and his refusal to stop wearing it at games. Truly an inspiration for us all.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isufan View Post
    I think the only real criticism you can make of the band with regards to game atmosphere is occassionally questionable song selection.

Pro
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    I think the only real criticism you can make of the band with regards to game atmosphere is occassionally questionable song selection.
    Disclaimer: I spent four years in the women's pep band, but had no involvement with the directing/headset.

Where does the song selection come from? Is it director's choice, or is it dictated from on-high? (from my vantage point in the back row of the band I was simply hoping to see the count-off, and had no idea who decided our playlist).

Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    [Anything] is easy if you are content to suck at it.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkhunter View Post
    Disclaimer: I spent four years in the women's pep band, but had no involvement with the directing/headset.

Where does the song selection come from? Is it director's choice, or is it dictated from on-high? (from my vantage point in the back row of the band I was simply hoping to see the count-off, and had no idea who decided our playlist).
    Almost word for word the exact same situation here (in fact judging by the year on your sidebar, we probably played the same four years). I always assumed it was the directors. I just can't see the Hilton guys calling in over the headset, "Crowds dying, better hit them with some 'I Go to Rio'".

Pro
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkhunter View Post

Typically the director gets to pick the song. There are exceptions, of course. Most notably is the play-sing-play version of ISU Fights that is scripted (sometimes well after the outcome has already been decided). But the director has zero say as to when they get to play. That is strictly scripted or dictated by the Hilton staff.

Of course, the Alumni Band song selection is somewhat limited by the fact that we get no time or facilities to practice, so they tend to be simpler. Having said that, I would like to see the Varsity Pep Band's repetoire broaden somewhat.

"Me not winning isn't important. You do!"

Pro
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Typically the director gets to pick the song. There are exceptions, of course. Most notably is the play-sing-play version of ISU Fights that is scripted (sometimes well after the outcome has already been decided). But the director has zero say as to when they get to play. That is strictly scripted or dictated by the Hilton staff.

Of course, the Alumni Band song selection is somewhat limited by the fact that we get no time or facilities to practice, so they tend to be simpler. Having said that, I would like to see the Varsity Pep Band's repetoire broaden somewhat.
    Thanks. This is the scenario I figured was most likely. I would imagine that the timing of when the band plays has an effect on the quality of the selection (i.e., "Thriller" may have sounded good at the time, but now that we've had to wait a while to play it's not as fitting).

I can sympathize with the VPB's repertoire breadth. It's hard to keep the seniors from getting bored without drowning the freshmen. Thankfully a wider selection of music should be available shortly after classes resume and the pep band can rehearse without having to add to their marching band duties.

Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    [Anything] is easy if you are content to suck at it.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

When I graduated the bands playbook consisted on approx. 150 songs, granted some of them do get played more simply because you can't realistically rehearse that many songs.