Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,022
    Given: 247

Strong take on instant replay from Steve Malchow

Just got done reading Steve Malchow's blog at Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports. Today's features a strong take that Steve has on instant replay, after watching the Big 12's bowl games this past week. I thought I'd pass it along.

2:00 Timeout: Seven Sports Have High Grad Rates in Big 12 - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 0

Re: Strong take on instant replay from Steve Malchow

I am heavily in favor of replay, but a replay should take about 20 seconds. A guy in the box should start reviewing any close play immediately and say yay or nay to the on field refs as soon as a challenge flag is thrown.

Publisher
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,022
    Given: 247

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I am heavily in favor of replay, but a replay should take about 20 seconds. A guy in the box should start reviewing any close play immediately and say yay or nay to the on field refs as soon as a challenge flag is thrown.
    Dude. I love your avatar.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 376
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    This is the thing I hate most about college replay. Is there even a challenge flag? The Big 12 just does a replay challenge and the coach has no say in the matter. I believe the big televen a coach can call for a replay. I think the MWC has similar rules as the NFL. Some conferences use broadcast video only where as others use broadcast anc scoreboard. Too inconsistent and really teams are playig by different rules

"Not at the table Carlos."

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99

Quote Originally Posted by tazclone View Post
    This is the thing I hate most about college replay. Is there even a challenge flag? The Big 12 just does a replay challenge and the coach has no say in the matter. I believe the big televen a coach can call for a replay. I think the MWC has similar rules as the NFL. Some conferences use broadcast video only where as others use broadcast anc scoreboard. Too inconsistent and really teams are playig by different rules
    It's all been streamlined into one standard process by the NCAA.

Coaches are allowed one "challenge" per game. They have to have a timeout to burn, however, as the challenge request requires calling a timeout. If they're right, they get the TO back and are allowed a 2nd challenge later in the game. If not, the TO is gone and no more challenges.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 447
    Given: 199

Completely agree with his take. Its supposed to be indisputable. Right call or not, you have to have indisputable evidence to overturn the ref on the field that's right there, and that was not there for that particular play in the mizzou game (also wouldnt overturn it if the ref had ruled it incomplete). Replay is for fixing the big mistakes, imo. If its close, you gotta go with the guy on the field who had the up close angle on things.

Addict
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 434
    Given: 363

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Just got done reading Steve Malchow's blog at Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports. Today's features a strong take that Steve has on instant replay, after watching the Big 12's bowl games this past week. I thought I'd pass it along.

2:00 Timeout: Seven Sports Have High Grad Rates in Big 12 - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports

Seems a bit bold for someone in the AD office. Is it common for them to be speaking out like this?

Pro
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,199
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post

Iowa State gets screwed far less now than it did before replay. Which Malchow wouldn't know. Keep the current system.

Legend
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,121
    Given: 2,206

Quote Originally Posted by Senolcyc View Post
    Iowa State gets screwed far less now than it did before replay. Which Malchow wouldn't know. Keep the current system.
    Agreed. Besides if the refs are having a bad day (as we all know Big 12 refs sometimes do) why should you be limited to a maximum of 3 challenges like in the NFL? If it is wrong, you should have an opportunity to have it corrected no matter how many times it happens in a game. I think the college football system is better than the NFL's.

If we are concerned about the flow of the game, let's shorten the ridiculously long media timeouts. At least there is a purpose for the review stoppages of play beyond $$$.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Walk On
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 318
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    If we are concerned about the flow of the game, let's shorten the ridiculously long media timeouts. At least there is a purpose for the review stoppages of play beyond $$$.
    Absolutely! If flow of the game were a real concern the media timeouts would be shorter and dropped, but that would effect money for each school and we all know that isn't going to get dropped, but increased over time. If this money thing keeps going this way, we could be the Iowa State Pepsi's instead of the Cyclones.

I love having the replay, but if you are going to replay it, then you have to make the right call 100% of the time. If it is debatable, gotta keep the call on the field. I would rather spend two minutes and have the right call, then be in the old days and get screwed.

Pro
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone46 View Post
    Absolutely! If flow of the game were a real concern the media timeouts would be shorter and dropped, but that would effect money for each school and we all know that isn't going to get dropped, but increased over time. If this money thing keeps going this way, we could be the Iowa State Pepsi's instead of the Cyclones.

I love having the replay, but if you are going to replay it, then you have to make the right call 100% of the time. If it is debatable, gotta keep the call on the field. I would rather spend two minutes and have the right call, then be in the old days and get screwed.
    As a Coca-Cola fan I'd be disappointed, but I would expect EIU to be the "Cokes".

Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    [Anything] is easy if you are content to suck at it.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 27

What is the current time limit on the replay official? Or is there even a time limit? Put them on the clock for 60 seconds under the hood and if they can't make a decision by that time the play stands.

Everyone else on the field has to play within an established framework, I don't see why the refs get to make it up as they go along.

Legend
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,121
    Given: 2,206

Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    What is the current time limit on the replay official? Or is there even a time limit? Put them on the clock for 60 seconds under the hood and if they can't make a decision by that time the play stands.

Everyone else on the field has to play within an established framework, I don't see why the refs get to make it up as they go along.
    I think they are supposed to shoot for under 2:00. I think many times when it goes longer it is because they are looking at other things such as:
    Placement of the ball
    How much time should be on the clock
    All of this adds time but is necessary to get it right.

Of course some times they are just doing a bad job of it. You aren't going to get away from that no matter the solution.

Does anyone know how this works in conjunction with media time outs? Do replay stoppages of play add to the number of media time outs or do they take the place of planned media time outs?

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Speechless
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 605
    Given: 389

Looks to me like the replay decisions are getting stranger this year. You would expect more consistency from up in the booth. Hey, maybe they are drinking Natty lights.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    I think they are supposed to shoot for under 2:00. I think many times when it goes longer it is because they are looking at other things such as:
    Placement of the ball
    How much time should be on the clock
    All of this adds time but is necessary to get it right.

Of course some times they are just doing a bad job of it. You aren't going to get away from that no matter the solution.

Does anyone know how this works in conjunction with media time outs? Do replay stoppages of play add to the number of media time outs or do they take the place of planned media time outs?
    That's all fine and well, I meant that they should have strict time limit to overturn or uphold. They can use additional time to spot the ball and adjust the timeIF they make the decision to overturn.