Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 195

Reseeding the playoffs

Expected discussion considering the extreme case this season (11-5 Saints must play at 7-9 Seahawks in opening round).

'Hawks give NFL good reason to fix playoff seeds - CBSSports.com

I don't have much of a problem with the current setup. I can see the argument for seeding the first round based on record, or at least having the site favor the team with the better record.

However, that isn't as simple as it sounds. It seems like an obvious fix when opponents are separated by four wins, but what happens when the difference is less pronounced let's say a division winner goes 9-7 and hosts a 10-6 wild card team who's to say it isn't pretty much a toss-up, or that schedule strength wasn't a factor?

I don't see how a format with host teams based on record is any more foolproof than the current format.

I do hate the idea of disregarding division winners with records worse than another team that doesn't qualify for the playoffs, but that's another post. (For example, then why have divisions at all?)

Thoughts?

Best in local news satire: Bass Lake Beacon

Chile Mac is Back!
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 327

Re: Reseeding the playoffs

I like the current set up, but could they put in a caveat where if there is a 3 game or more difference in record there is a change of home venue?

In the NBA, at least prior, the seedings would happen by division winner, but the team with the better record would have the home court.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

This could potentially become more of a problem having a sixteen team league with FOUR divisions. Take for example this year: an 11-5 jets team is a six seed. Last year a 9-7 jets team was a five seed. Call me crazy but I think this years jets team is better. Why punish them for having to play in the same division as the patriots? Similar issues happened two years ago with an 8-8 San Diego team hostin a 12-4 Indy team. I don't feel this has much to do with strength of schedule, more to do with teams getting Lucky playing in weak divisions.

I'm not saying teams playing in weaker divisions can't play in the playoffs. I just think it's crazy that a team like Seattle can host a new Orleans team with an 11-5 record. And if say NO wins, which is likely, and Philly wins, then the falcons get stuck playing no in round two which to be honest sounds like more of a championship game.

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 251
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

This is one of the pitfalls of having divisions champs & wildcards. I think a similar scenario like this (NL West?) played out in the MLB playoffs. I think the only way around it is to get rid of divisions all together or do something kind of like how the NBA does its playoff seeding.

"The bass, the rock,
    The mic, the treble,
    I like my coffee black,
    Just like my metal."

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 102

I think its just one of those things that doesn't happen much. I like it the way it is. It could be worse. The NBA and NHL have multiple teams with losing records make the playoffs every year.

Remember that stressed spelled backwards is desserts!

"The New England Patriots: As annoying as the Yankess, just with 23 fewer titles."

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 274
    Given: 175

I was actually expecting to see a much more dissenting opinion, not expecting nearly as many people

I am okay with the current setup, because of the emphasis the entire NFL places on winning your division. Every team's top 5, if not number 1 goal, going into the season is to win the division. Not to mention the NFL has always favored division winners in terms of playoffs. The NFL favors its division winners, and always has, and if you don't win your division, you don't deserve any special treatment, and if you want to be the Super Bowl champion you're going to have to win it by beating your opponents in their stadium, regardless if your record is better than theirs.

So I have no problems with New Orleans having to go to Seattle to play the Seahawks there. Seattle won their division, New Orleans didn't. And while it's absolutely pathetic that the Seahawks won their division at 7-9, they are still a division champion, while the Saints aren't.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Legend
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 173
    Given: 59

I like the current setup. Win your division and you're guaranteed a home game.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 834
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Nycclone View Post
    This could potentially become more of a problem having a sixteen team league with FOUR divisions. Take for example this year: an 11-5 jets team is a six seed. Last year a 9-7 jets team was a five seed. Call me crazy but I think this years jets team is better. Why punish them for having to play in the same division as the patriots? Similar issues happened two years ago with an 8-8 San Diego team hostin a 12-4 Indy team. I don't feel this has much to do with strength of schedule, more to do with teams getting Lucky playing in weak divisions.

I'm not saying teams playing in weaker divisions can't play in the playoffs. I just think it's crazy that a team like Seattle can host a new Orleans team with an 11-5 record. And if say NO wins, which is likely, and Philly wins, then the falcons get stuck playing no in round two which to be honest sounds like more of a championship game.
    The only thing that is affected is the home field advantage for Seattle. Otherwise, Atlanta would still get NO in the second round. Did you know Philly rested everyone because their game didn't matter? If they played their starters, they most lkely beat dallas and end up 11-5 just like NO. Then Atlanta gets Philly or NO in the second round. Not any different than right now and both teams beat Atlanta

"Not at the table Carlos."

Pro
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,974
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Can't have it both ways. Divisions exist to create four separate playoff races. More teams stay alive longer, increasing interest and attendance. NFL wants that. If divisions are supposed to matter so much, division champs have to be seeded higher than wild cards.

Simple solution is no divisions. Top six teams make playoffs. Easy, done. But that won't be done.

Addict
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Nycclone View Post

How are those two different?