Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 395
    Given: 273

Going to college abroad

Offshore your college student and save - MSN Money

Apparently they suggest for students to go to Universities abroad. Its cheaper and it has the same prestige. If this is true, why does the US seem to miss so many targets anymore instead of hitting them like it used to. Healthcare, education, inudustry, etc. When do you think this will end and we will return to our stronger origins.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Going to college abroad

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    Offshore your college student and save - MSN Money

Apparently they suggest for students to go to Universities abroad. Its cheaper and it has the same prestige. If this is true, why does the US seem to miss so many targets anymore instead of hitting them like it used to. Healthcare, education, inudustry, etc. When do you think this will end and we will return to our stronger origins.
    Organ transplants are much cheaper oversees too, for example, in India. For people without health insurance it's a viable option if you want to keep living. I don't know how much I'd trust the surgeon, but I'd be all right with the rest of the healthcare team

'tiny little text etched into her neck it said "jesus lived and died for all your sins." she's got blue black ink and it's scratched into her lower back. it said: "damn right i'll rise again." yeah, damn right you'll rise again.'

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

See? what is our deal? Why cant we help our own people get educated, healthy, and paid.

Rookie
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 490
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Interesting read. They made many great points, but these only seem to apply to specific groups. I had a friend study at Oxford and based on his stories, the cost of living and air tickets alone should be factored in somewhere in their equations. London's, for example, cost of living is sometimes twice that of NYC.

The article seems very much geared toward a few select professions, namely law. There are however lots of different kinds of lawyers; for example a Construction Attorney would be much better served learning the ropes in this country. Medicine is hardly mentioned because of all the specialties, like a corrupt insurance system med students should be acclimated to before jumping in with 2 feet upon graduation.

It's also hardly monetarily justifiable to send you kid abroad for a 4 or 5 year degree versus in-state tuition. Those people are doing it for other reasons. The odd thing is that of all the numbers/stats thrown out, they forget the world uses our post-secondary education systems far and away more than the reverse. The numbers suggest that foreigners justify spending more to study here because we still have the best environments.

I completely agree that the rising tuition costs are getting out of control. To those that habitually argue for tax cuts, remember the money has got to come from somewhere, eventually those univ. budget cuts will eventually lead to fewer resources for our school's to stay on top.

Legend
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

What do you think about education driven completely on field of study. We get a more broad education here with undergrad BS. I believe Japan has a system to train their students as they go pinpointing particular fields. Its nice to have a broad education in some aspects but it should be elective. Is it crippling us by educating broadly instead of focused?

Legend
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

The article refers to the "strength of the dollar" and attributes the stength to one of the reasons that it is inexpensive to attend college in places like London. However, the dollar has declined in value appreciably over the last twelve months so that argument holds less validity. I couldn't agree more with the points that thakeepa14 made.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 465
    Given: 319

Let whatever these guys say whatever they want - until foreign parents (Japanese, Indonesian, European, even Palestinian) stop sending their children to the States because the best, cheapest education is found here, I'm not going to buy some editorial "expert" who's convinced this country's going to hell in a handbasket tell me that it's better for me to send my children overseas to get their education.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Rookie
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 490
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    What do you think about education driven completely on field of study. We get a more broad education here with undergrad BS. I believe Japan has a system to train their students as they go pinpointing particular fields. Its nice to have a broad education in some aspects but it should be elective. Is it crippling us by educating broadly instead of focused?
    I'd argue that Americans will continue to stay on top fields like management and pr, because of our type of system. It's clear we're falling behind in math and the sciences, but I doubt "crippling" is correct description. The language of business will continue to be English, but maybe not as much as people think. Our high school options should be a little more specific, but I strongly disagree with the "shoe-horn a 6th grader into a professional study" approach. We have enough issues with teenage rebellion as it is...

Last edited by thakeepa14; 08-07-2007 at 04:02 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Those articles seemed to focus a lot on England, with some mention of the EU countries. However, there are other places in the world where it is easy for Americans to study and far, far cheaper than the very pricey UK. Australia, for example, is a hell of a lot cheaper than even average in-state costs. South Africa is the same way, though not to the same extreme as Australia. Frankly, if I could start over in my college search, I would have looked at Australia. *sigh* Oh well. Loans aren't that bad, right? Right?

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.