Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 18,107, Level: 41
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 843
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    LutherClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kirksville, MO
    Posts
    1,161
    Points
    18,107
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    How would Iowa State have been in the Big East this year

    I'm not a guy who likes to look at what could have been, but watching the UCONN/OK game, I got to thinking. It sounds like we were pretty close to heading east with Mizzou, K-State, and KU if they Big 12 broke up. Since the sky didn't fall, it didn't happen. Would we have gone bowling if we played in the Big East + Forgotten IV? I'm inclined to thank that we would have. Thoughts?


    For "I", for "S", forever!
    For Iowa State all the way.
    Let's go! To show them what the gang's all here for,
    Go! To show them how the Cyclones cheer.
    For "I", for "S", forever!
    For Iowa State do it right!
    It's time to climb up on the vict'ry wagon,
    Fight! Iowa State, Fight! Fight!

  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 208,917, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jbhtexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    10,832
    Points
    208,917
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 205
    Given: 124

    Re: How would Iowa State have been in the Big East this year

    Quote Originally Posted by LutherClone View Post
    I'm not a guy who likes to look at what could have been, but watching the UCONN/OK game, I got to thinking. It sounds like we were pretty close to heading east with Mizzou, K-State, and KU if they Big 12 broke up. Since the sky didn't fall, it didn't happen. Would we have gone bowling if we played in the Big East + Forgotten IV? I'm inclined to thank that we would have. Thoughts?
    Maybe. But then again, ISU couldn't beat KSU and CU, so maybe not...


    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

    Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

  3. #3
    Rookie
    Points: 11,146, Level: 31
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    562
    Points
    11,146
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: How would Iowa State have been in the Big East this year

    8-4 at least.


    “What people need to realize about the NCAA is that it is not a sports organization by any means,'' says Brent Clark, an Oklahoma lawyer and former NCAA investigator who has studied the association for more than 30 years. ``It's an economic cartel dedicated to preserving the product.''

  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 129,820, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    theshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,642
    Points
    129,820
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 0

    Re: How would Iowa State have been in the Big East this year

    Divisional play (12 teams).

    Same 4 non-conference (NIU, Iowa, UNI, Utah). 2-2
    3 same conference (KU, KSU, MU) as division mates. 1-2
    2 westernmost BE team (Louisville, 7-6; Cincinnati, 4-8) as 5th and 6th division teams. 1-1/2-0

    4-5 or 5-4 projected record at this point.

    Then 3 of these eastern teams:
    West Virginia (9-4), Connecticut (8-5), South Florida (8-5), Syracuse (8-5), Pittsburgh (7-5), Rutgers (4-8)



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 149,138, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CyFan61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Southeast
    Posts
    7,917
    Points
    149,138
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 699
    Given: 208

    Re: How would Iowa State have been in the Big East this year

    Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    Divisional play (12 teams).

    Same 4 non-conference (NIU, Iowa, UNI, Utah). 2-2
    3 same conference (KU, KSU, MU) as division mates. 1-2
    2 westernmost BE team (Louisville, 7-6; Cincinnati, 4-8) as 5th and 6th division teams. 1-1/2-0

    4-5 or 5-4 projected record at this point.

    Then 3 of these eastern teams:
    West Virginia (9-4), Connecticut (8-5), South Florida (8-5), Syracuse (8-5), Pittsburgh (7-5), Rutgers (4-8)
    Based on this I see us at 5-7 again as the most likely scenario. No different.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 399,000, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    58,861
    Points
    399,000
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 555
    Given: 355

    Re: How would Iowa State have been in the Big East this year

    Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    Based on this I see us at 5-7 again as the most likely scenario. No different.
    So, we would still have to win. Maybe the grass is not greener on the other side. Folks, we have to get better if we want to go bowling anywhere.

    Even with three easy non conf games, we would probably have to dump the Iowa game and win two in conference. We just need to get better in any conference.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 485,446, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    19,123
    Points
    485,446
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 377
    Given: 115

    Re: How would Iowa State have been in the Big East this year

    After watching Syracuse drop 36 on KSU, I don't think we'd be all that better off.


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 167,657, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    HFCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    11,319
    Points
    167,657
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 875
    Given: 727

    Re: How would Iowa State have been in the Big East this year

    Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    Based on this I see us at 5-7 again as the most likely scenario. No different.
    Northern Illinois and Texas Tech are better or the same as a lot of those teams. Texas was better or the same as a lot of those teams.

    There is no way this ISU team doesn't win six games in the weakest BCS conference with 5 non-conf games to schedule.

    ISU's computer ranking was 1st-4th place almost the entire year among the Big East teams. UConn is barely in front of ISU right now.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 149,138, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CyFan61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Southeast
    Posts
    7,917
    Points
    149,138
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 699
    Given: 208

    Re: How would Iowa State have been in the Big East this year

    Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    Northern Illinois and Texas Tech are better or the same as a lot of those teams. Texas was better or the same as a lot of those teams.

    There is no way this ISU team doesn't win six games in the weakest BCS conference with 5 non-conf games to schedule.

    ISU's computer ranking was 1st-4th place almost the entire year among the Big East teams. UConn is barely in front of ISU right now.
    I'm not talking about throwing us in with those teams. We wouldn't play 5 non-conf games as adding us to the Big East would make it a 9 team league. I used the scenario that theshadow posted.

    We would play 7 of the same teams and assuming we had the same record, we would be 3-4 there. Then add games against Louisville and Cincinnati and I predict we go 1-1 against them, making us 4-5. Our final three games are against some combination of West Virginia (9-4), Connecticut (8-5), South Florida (8-5), Syracuse (8-5), Pittsburgh (7-5), Rutgers (4-8). Being realistic I'm picking us to have gone 1-2 against that competition most likely (depending on scheduling of course, but the most likely outcome). That's a 5-7 record.

    Remember that this is a team that could not beat Colorado. This is a team that got embarassed by Oklahoma. Our only positive showing on the road was against a bad, bad Texas team. I'm not saying that we aren't headed in the right direction but it is laughable to suggest that we could have won the Big East or even 8 games in that conference.


    Last edited by CyFan61; 01-02-2011 at 11:43 AM.

  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 167,657, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    HFCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    11,319
    Points
    167,657
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 875
    Given: 727

    Re: How would Iowa State have been in the Big East this year

    Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    I'm not talking about throwing us in with those teams. We wouldn't play 5 non-conf games as adding us to the Big East would make it a 9 team league. I used the scenario that theshadow posted.

    We would play 7 of the same teams and assuming we had the same record, we would be 3-4 there. Then add games against Louisville and Cincinnati and I predict we go 1-1 against them, making us 4-5. Our final three games are against some combination of West Virginia (9-4), Connecticut (8-5), South Florida (8-5), Syracuse (8-5), Pittsburgh (7-5), Rutgers (4-8). Being realistic I'm picking us to have gone 1-2 against that competition most likely (depending on scheduling of course, but the most likely outcome). That's a 5-7 record.

    Remember that this is a team that could not beat Colorado. This is a team that got embarassed by Oklahoma. Our only positive showing on the road was against a bad, bad Texas team. I'm not saying that we aren't headed in the right direction but it is laughable to suggest that we could have won the Big East or even 8 games in that conference.
    Adding Missouri, KState and ISU this year would have drastically improved the conference, they'd have been 3 of the top 5 teams in the new 12 team league this year. Even with KU being bad it would have been a huge improvement to add those 4. I'm using computer rankings to make that statement, not my opinion.

    I still think taking Oklahoma/Texas/Texas Tech/Nebraska/Colorado off the schedule for any five Big East teams results in at least one more win.

    West Virginia, Pitt and UConn could give us a game at Jack Trice but we could have beat any of them at home too. Any of the other Big East teams we beat at Jack Trice and have a 50/50 chance on the road.

    I'm guessing our division would have been ISU, KU, KSU, Missouri, Louisville, Cincinatti? Then let's say our non-conf is the best team, a medium team, and the worst team.

    KU-W
    KSU-loss, even though in this hypothetical it could be a real home win
    Missouri-loss
    Louisville-home win/road toss up
    Cincinatti-home win/road toss up
    WV-road loss/home toss up
    South Florida-home win/road toss up
    Rutgers-win

    That schedule is easier than OU, Texas, Nebraska, Tech, Missouri, KSU, CU, KU even with Texas being down. If Texas were Texas in a normal year that Big East schedule is much easier.

    *Example of how much tougher Big 12 was than Big East using Sagarin numbers:
    Big East victories over top 30 teams: 2
    Big 12 victories over top 30 teams: 12
    Big Ten: 10


    Last edited by HFCS; 01-02-2011 at 12:30 PM.

  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 143,568, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CrossCyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    9,384
    Points
    143,568
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

    Re: How would Iowa State have been in the Big East this year

    It's moot. Even if the Big 12 would have fallen apart, we wouldn't have been in the Big East till next year anyways.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State @ Oklahoma State
  • October 4, 2014
  • 11:00 AM