Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 282
    Given: 271

The proposed rookie salary cap

The Washington Post ran an op-ed from the President of the Green Bay Packers on the need for a rookie salary cap in the NFL:

To avoid an NFL lockout, let's stop breaking the bank with rookies

Here's the gist of the proposal:

"Under the proposal, the first pick in the draft would sign a five-year contract and receive a $5.34 million signing bonus and $1.5 million salary his rookie year, even if he does not play a single down. In years two and three, his salary would be set at $1.7 million and $1.9 million, respectively. His fourth- and fifth-year salaries would rise to $2.3 million and $2.9 million for a total package of $15.6 million. (If he is a quarterback, he would be paid $4.3 million in year six.) The first pick would still be paid well, but at a much more reasonable level than under the current system.
    By eliminating individual negotiations, a rookie wage scale should have the added benefit of reducing the influence of agents on our college campuses. Having served as a college athletic director for 16 years at Colgate and Northwestern, I know firsthand that even one unscrupulous agent who chooses to break NCAA rules can cause serious problems for a college and its players, resulting in the forfeiture of games, championships, awards and scholarships."

I am pretty sure the Player's Association would be all for this. The vets in the league can't be too crazy for the idea that some guy walks in off the street earning more than they do without ever having to prove it, and the fact that rookies clean up in cap dollars mean there are less resources for signing everybody else.

I do feel like the last two years of the rookie scale should be as a restricted free agent so that a player has some leverage if they prove to be a good player, they should be able to renegotiate or move to another squad who would be willing to pay. Five years is a long time for most NFL draftees--what is the length of the average NFL career? For a lot of guys, the first contract would be their last--not much incentive for teams to cough up the money if the rookie cap locks them in for a hard 6 years.

It is a crazy reduction in salary though. Sam Bradford got 6 years and $78 million GUARANTEED last year. Wow.

I think implementing a smart rookie cap would keep players in college and mean more activity at the top of the draft. Teams would actually want to draft in the first round, rather than trading out of it to avoid the cap hit. No more rookie hold outs, either. All in all a good idea with some tweaks.

Last edited by Die4Cy; 01-01-2011 at 01:56 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 479
    Given: 140

Re: The proposed rookie salary cap

Having served as a college athletic director for 16 years at Colgate and Northwestern, I know firsthand that even one unscrupulous agent who chooses to break NCAA rules can cause serious problems for a college and its players, resulting in the forfeiture of games, championships, awards and scholarships.

Really? Firsthand knowledge at Colgate and Northwestern? I call shenanigans

Pro
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 461
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 282
    Given: 271

Quote Originally Posted by MLawrence View Post
    Having served as a college athletic director for 16 years at Colgate and Northwestern, I know firsthand that even one unscrupulous agent who chooses to break NCAA rules can cause serious problems for a college and its players, resulting in the forfeiture of games, championships, awards and scholarships.

Really? Firsthand knowledge at Colgate and Northwestern? I call shenanigans
    I had to LOL at that as well, doing it for the integrity of the college game and all that. Sort of like it benefits the bottom line of their teams as just a bonus!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 759
    Given: 384

Probably need to make those salaries a little higher. And make the contract maybe 4 years or so. The NBA has a two year contract with a two year team option for the 3rd and 4th year.

This would be nothing but good for the NFL

All-Star
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 819
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

That sounds reasonable. Based on what I have heard on the radio for former NFL players, most players don't make the real money until they get their 2nd contract anyway. Think of the money saved by teams under this plan..no more overpaying for burnouts and over-hyped players. Ultimately, the NFL cannot afford a lock-out at this point.

Pro
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

No one is going to have a problem with a rookie salary cap.

The owners don't like the fact that they are paying unproven commodities ridiculous amounts of money. The players don't like that a rook is coming in and being the highest paid player on the team.

This will go through and it will be a good thing. You'll definitely see more trades in the first 10 picks over the next few years.