Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 213

Next Year: Who Ya Got?

Just curious to know what you guys have coming up next year to replace some key starters, particularly Arnaud, Robinson, Franklin, Lamaak (sp?), Osemele, and Sims? Anybody currently on the roster that looks set to take over, new recruits that could battle for playing time? I know you've still got Tiller, but IIRC there were a couple other guys that could win the QB job.

Pro
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,007
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 5

Re: Next Year: Who Ya Got?

obviously, woody and shontrelle will take arobs spot collectively, shontrelle as the main back and woody as the change of pace back. I think hammerschmidt will definitely be starting tight end this year

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,036
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 0

I think Capello would have won the QB job, but I am interested to see Jantz in practice. I think Barnett might have more "upside" than Capello, but from what I hear JP is the most accurate and hes just a gamer which I think would give us a better chance to win than Tiller who is the most talented, but maybe the worst passer of the bunch. I have Richardson has QBofF for sure though. RS him and let him soak everything in before unleashing him in a few years.

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,080
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

isn't osemele back next year?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 113

QB: With Jantz being named the 2nd best JUCO QB in the nation by Rivals, I'm leaning towards him for next year. I hear so much about Barnett but haven't seen him play one time... Anyone at this spot would not surprise me. Jantz, Tiller, Barnett, Capello... hell, even the true frosh Sam Richardson could possibly get it (although I would much rather see him redshirted... unless he's the best guy, that is.) This will be an interesting battle.

RB: Shontrelle will be our guy. I don't think Woody will see many more carries than he did this season - he's found his role. I hate to talk about high school kids but if we land DeVondrick Nealy he may see time here even. Still I think SJ has a solid lock on this.

TE: Gotta think Hammerschmidt is the front runner but Ricky Howard will get a shot. Howard was injured for at least part of the season so who knows what he can show us. Hammerschmidt is basically a Collin Franklin clone at 6'5'' 250 though, so if he can reach that level of athleticism I have to imagine it would be his spot.

OL: We have lots of good, young offensive linemen. Not worried about filling any spots but center. I'm not sure any of really recognized how valuable he was to our offensive. We will miss him next season. Hopefully someone can step up.

S: I think Jacques Washington will get Sims' safety spot. O'Connell's spot will be more interesting. I think it'll be Deon Broomfield but there will be some competition.

However it's a pretty good sight to see only four defensive starters leaving the team. We'll have to replace both safeties, DT Bailey Johnson and DE Rashawn Parker. McDonough and Maggitt are both frontrunners for those spots I would assume.

Addict
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131

QB: This is easily the toughest position to pick. I gotta think that the coaches would like someone to step up and take this job by the horns, whether it be Tiller, Jantz, Capello, Barnett, or Richardson? But by going out and getting a JUCO, they obviously do NOT want the same Jerome Tiller back again this year, they want a much improved JT, or else they will go in another direction. I wouldn't be surprised by anyone here, but I'm hoping Jantz is good enough to take it.

RB: Shontrelle is the #1 guy for sure, but I'm not certain he will be durable enough to carry the ball 90% of the time. I think there will be quite a few carries for the #2 and #3 guys... who I think will be Woody and Hollis. I think Hollis could really surprise a LOT of people. Coaches raved about him. It was a VERY tough decision to even RS him last year.

TE: Hammerscmidt would seem to be the front runner, but we are loaded at this position, so who knows? It could be him, Ricky Howard, Richardson, or even the JUCO guy Ernst Brun?

Center: I guess the front runner is Farniok, right? I don't know much about this position at all?

DE: Hopefully the starters can be Lattimer and Rony Nelson? Otherwise, Maggitt needs to step up and take this spot.

DT: With Bailey Johnson graduating, I think the starters here will be Rump and McDonough.

Safeties: I'll go with Washington and Givens here. Could be a lot of guys in the mix here, but I hope Givens is the real deal?

Legend
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 366

The correct answer to the OP's question is, "More than enough to beat the Hawks in Ames".

QB: Like most people, I honestly can't pick this one.

RB: Shontrelle Johnson would be most people's favorite, but we'll see how this pans out. Woody will continue to be the short yardage/change of pace back, but redshirt Duran Hollis, newcomer Rob Standard, perhaps James White, or even Devondrick Nealy, should we land him, could all have a major say here. My impression, however, is that if anyone beats out Johnson, he'll have to be a darn good player.

TE: I've been waiting on Hammerschmidt to emerge, and as a junior he'll finally get his chance. Ricky Howard and juco Ernst Brun should at least be good blockers and solid receivers.

OLine: Osemele will more than likely be back for his senior year. "10 juco Jon Caspers redshirted in anticipation of having a starting shot at guard next Fall. Tom Farniok and juco signee Sam Tautolo, who will be on campus for Spring ball, seem the contenders at center. There are a number of young players, redshirt freshmen and sophs, who could break into the two deep.

DE: Pending any juco signee, the starters could be Lattimer and redshirt Rony Nelson, with support from Rosey Maggit and Patrick Neal.

DT: Stephon Ruempolhamer is the sure thing, Jake McDonough and Cleyon Laing, a pair of rising juniors, played quite a bit and showed flashes, and should be fine. The question is, who else joins those three in the rotation?

Safeties: Jacques Washington played a decent amount last year, partially as the nickel 'backer, former juco Earl Brooks didn't. the two seem the likely choices to replace Sims--though a '11 recruit could have a say. Durell Givens, much like Caspers, redshirted, and as a centerfirlder type, will apparently battle Deon Broomfield for the FS spot. The latter showed me a decent turn of speed, tracking down and making a touchdown saving tackle on a breakaway this season.

Linebacker: You didn't ask, but having Matt Tau'fo'ou healthy in the middle all year would be huge. Not only is he good, he allows A.J. Klein to play a role he's more suited for. Lots of youngsters from the '10 and '11 classes will be providing invaluable depth.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Pro
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    RB: Shontrelle is the #1 guy for sure, but I'm not certain he will be durable enough to carry the ball 90% of the time. I think there will be quite a few carries for the #2 and #3 guys... who I think will be Woody and Hollis. I think Hollis could really surprise a LOT of people. Coaches raved about him. It was a VERY tough decision to even RS him last year.
    We know Woody is the hammer and Shontrelle is the rabbit. What kind of back is Hollis? I know he's a little bigger than SJ but is he as explosive?

Starter
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Shontrelle = Noel Devine IMO.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

QB: Barnett, Jantz, Tiller
    I think Jantz' line is impressive but once again, I draw caution because he did not
    play in the NJCAA, and I think the level of competition that he played was
    average. You can argue with me all you want about it but there is a reason why
    the #2 rated JUCO QB only had 1 D-1 offer. The #1 rated JUCO QB, BTW he
    played in the NJCAA, had 9 D-1 offers. That's a huge discrepancy in two players
    that are ranked 1 and 2. So, I'm going to proceed with caution on him until he
    gets on campus and starts to compete with our guys that are already in the
    system.
    RB: Shontrelle, Duck, Woody
    TE: Hammerschmidt, Howard
    OL: We should see a few RsF get some PT
    WR: Who can catch the football?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 325
    Given: 98

Quote Originally Posted by BrianTweed View Post
    Shontrelle = Noel Devine IMO.
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Shontrelle is good, maybe end up being great, but Devine (when he's healthy) is one of the most explosive players I've ever seen.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Pro
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 443
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

my guesses of where we'll end up..

QB: Jantz, Capello
    RB: Johnson, Hollis, Woody
    C: Farniok, Tautolo
    TE: Hammerschmidt, Howard
    DE: Lattimer, Maggitt, Nelson
    DT: Ruemp, McD
    S: Washington replacing sims, broomfield for o'connell

ALL IN

Addict
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 213

Sorry about biffing Osemele's class. I just thought he was a senior based on how he was hyped coming into this year (meaning he played very well last year). At least that's one less hole to fill for you. Just thought I'd apologize for that. I root for you guys most of the time, but I'm not familiar with your roster outside of the big names.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Shontrelle is good, maybe end up being great, but Devine (when he's healthy) is one of the most explosive players I've ever seen.
    You're correct.

I do think Shontrelle has as much potential as any back we've gotten in quite a while though. Key for him is he needs to work as hard as A-Rob did and as hard as Woody does.

That juke against Kansas was still quite silly.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhOoyOszLVQ]YouTube - Iowa State's Shontrelle Johnson Jukes on Touchdown vs. Kansas[/ame]

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 325
    Given: 98

Quote Originally Posted by CrossCyed View Post
    You're correct.

I do think Shontrelle has as much potential as any back we've gotten in quite a while though. Key for him is he needs to work as hard as A-Rob did and as hard as Woody does.

That juke against Kansas was still quite silly.

YouTube - Iowa State's Shontrelle Johnson Jukes on Touchdown vs. Kansas
    I agree that he has a ton of upside, and will be fondly remembered by ISU fans for years after he leaves, but Devine is a very special player.

I think there are a lot of similarities between the two, unfortunately one of those being that due to their size, they aren't every down backs.

Really looking forward to see his development and maybe some involvement in the passing game next year. Gotta get him into space.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.