Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 57

Replay officials are terrible

Ever since the OU vs. Oregon game a few years ago when that replay official really missed 2 calls on instant replay it has been horrible. They missed a clear catch last night in the UNC vs Tenn game. Kid caught the ball. They went to replay. Everyone though they would verify the ball was caught, including me. Then they come back and say he did not catch it. It was very clear he caught the ball. Then on the Missouri vs. Iowa it could have gone either direction and they said no catch.
    I thought it had to be clear that he did not catch it. I don't think it was clear that he did not catch that 4th down pass.
    Then you have the Detroit Lions vs. The Bears at the beggining of the NFL season where the kid clearly caught the ball and they said no catch. It's just frustrating.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 112

Re: Replay officials are terrible

I thought the Iowa-Mizzou call was pretty clear even though I HATED the result.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    Ever since the OU vs. Oregon game a few years ago when that replay official really missed 2 calls on instant replay it has been horrible. They missed a clear catch last night in the UNC vs Tenn game. Kid caught the ball. They went to replay. Everyone though they would verify the ball was caught, including me. Then they come back and say he did not catch it. It was very clear he caught the ball. Then on the Missouri vs. Iowa it could have gone either direction and they said no catch.
    I thought it had to be clear that he did not catch it. I don't think it was clear that he did not catch that 4th down pass.
    Then you have the Detroit Lions vs. The Bears at the beggining of the NFL season where the kid clearly caught the ball and they said no catch. It's just frustrating.
    On the Detroit game-That was the rule, not the call. I believe it should have counted, but by rule, it was not a touchdown.

Furthermore, how many replays are there in a year? A lot and you have come up with 4 examples of it being wrong. They are right far more than they are wrong.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Pro
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,974
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The Missouri replay call was correct, but people can't see that through Hawkeye hater glasses. As he is sliding on the ground, he doesn't have control of the ball. When he hit the sideline, he didn't have control.

Officials have to use the real rules, not the rules that some couch potato thinks are the rules or should be the rules. Most fans really don't know the rules.

Addict
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 13

Yeah, sorry, I love to rip on officials but in both cases u are wrong. They were both clearly incomplete passes.

Recruit
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BigBake View Post
    Yeah, sorry, I love to rip on officials but in both cases u are wrong. They were both clearly incomplete passes.
    I would have agreed had they called it incomplete on the field, but no angle they had showed the ball let alone what it was doing. I think it should have stayed being called a catch, the call that was made by the referee on the field, because even with the frame by frame pictures it wasnt clear what really happened. Referees deciding a game are terrible, like last nights game with the B.S. taunting penalty.

One thing I would like to see is that referees, in both NCAA and NFL, should be able to be reviewed each week after controversial calls, and if the league deems them as poor decision, they cannot ref the following week, or are fined. If players can get fined for the littlest thing and when they go out there and play their hardest only to get screwed by a ref, it isn't fair to the players or the fans, because last time I checked, no one goes to a game to watch a referee. Also, a rule change I would like to see, is if a referee isnt sure on a call, they can call up to the replay official who can watch the play (once) and make an opinion based on that so teams dont get screwed on a guess and have to waste a challenge. We have all this video technology and these terrible calls are still being made and until they find a new system it will continue to be brought up.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 121

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    I thought the Iowa-Mizzou call was pretty clear even though I HATED the result.
    I would have called it a catch.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 121

Quote Originally Posted by Senolcyc View Post
    The Missouri replay call was correct, but people can't see that through Hawkeye hater glasses. As he is sliding on the ground, he doesn't have control of the ball. When he hit the sideline, he didn't have control.

Officials have to use the real rules, not the rules that some couch potato thinks are the rules or should be the rules. Most fans really don't know the rules.
    Well, I have seen many more plays called catches that were not catches than this one. The fellow was on the ground after catching the ball, then he bounced and slid as he juggled. I say he caught the ball and was on the ground before he slid. Is your idea that the play is over when he slides to a stop? Bottom line, Hawks received a break.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 13

Take off the hawk hating glasses for a sec.

He was bobbling the ball, never had control and at one point the ball is touching the out of bounds white line.

That was a correct call.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by BigBake View Post
    Take off the hawk hating glasses for a sec.

He was bobbling the ball, never had control and at one point the ball is touching the out of bounds white line.

That was a correct call.
    You must have had a special angle that they didn't show on national TV because I never saw a clear view of the ball ever touching the ground. The call on the field was a catch and all you saw was a dark shadow but that could have been his other arm. Never did I see any view that you KNEW the ball hit the ground. Hawkhaters or not, they once again didn't stick to the rule of concrete evidence to overturn and they just made a judgment call on what they thought happened. That being said, if the call on the field was incomplete, I believe you couldn't have overturned that either.

Recruit
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Replay officials are terrible

Bad calls are a huge part of why I watch a lot less of the NFL than I used to.

As i said I watch a LOT less of the NFL now, but as im a dolphins fan I can name a two huge calls in two years that have had PROFOUND impacts on two huge games...

Last year vs. the saints sharper intercepted a pass and ran it back. Ted Ginn knocked the ball out on the one yard line, and it was fumbled through the back of the endzone. They called it a TD and upheld it on a VERY apparent replay. The following week SI dedicated a two page spread to a photo showing the ref CLEARLY in position with the ball CLEARLY out well before the TD. It was sickening to see how blatant it was. Huge turn of momentum that kicked off a huge comeback by the Saints.

The next was this year vs. the Steelers. Big Ben fumbled in the 1, and it was recovered by two dolphins. Conclusive evidence that there was a fumble, and it shows two dolphins jumping on it, one of which who comes up with the ball. Steelers get the TD call, the refs blow the play dead (which I guess makes it not really a replay issue), steelers go up with a little over a minute left.

Officiating in general had made the game so unwatchable. It's no fun to watch a Min game where apparent TDs are getting thrown out. Or the Miami jets game where a jet CLEARLY ran into the Miami player who had called for a fair catch on a punt, and not a single damn flag was thrown.

The NFL and NCAA need to step up their game. Better technology means we see more stuff than we used to. We're not stupid. I'm not a homer, I see the phins get calls every now and the too, but it's frustrating to the point where it makes watching games no fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,190
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

I saw the ball as originally caught with his hand clearly under the ball with control as he was sliding toward out of bounds, and after he was out the ball appeared to slip to the side of his hand. Now I don't know if that is a catch by rule, but he appeared to have made the catch with control of the ball while he was still in bounds. No way it should have been reversed imo.

Walk On
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

It would be nice if replay officials weren't exclusively retired referees and in their 70's. How about getting some brand new officials in their 20's/30's (that have their full faculties and eysight) be replay officials as they get groomed to be full-time on the field referees?

The NFL does it a lot better than college does, but it's also probably a much harder game to call.

Quote Originally Posted by daphins View Post
    Bad calls are a huge part of why I watch a lot less of the NFL than I used to.

As i said I watch a LOT less of the NFL now, but as im a dolphins fan I can name a two huge calls in two years that have had PROFOUND impacts on two huge games...

Last year vs. the saints sharper intercepted a pass and ran it back. Ted Ginn knocked the ball out on the one yard line, and it was fumbled through the back of the endzone. They called it a TD and upheld it on a VERY apparent replay. The following week SI dedicated a two page spread to a photo showing the ref CLEARLY in position with the ball CLEARLY out well before the TD. It was sickening to see how blatant it was. Huge turn of momentum that kicked off a huge comeback by the Saints.

The next was this year vs. the Steelers. Big Ben fumbled in the 1, and it was recovered by two dolphins. Conclusive evidence that there was a fumble, and it shows two dolphins jumping on it, one of which who comes up with the ball. Steelers get the TD call, the refs blow the play dead (which I guess makes it not really a replay issue), steelers go up with a little over a minute left.

Officiating in general had made the game so unwatchable. It's no fun to watch a Min game where apparent TDs are getting thrown out. Or the Miami jets game where a jet CLEARLY ran into the Miami player who had called for a fair catch on a punt, and not a single damn flag was thrown.

The NFL and NCAA need to step up their game. Better technology means we see more stuff than we used to. We're not stupid. I'm not a homer, I see the phins get calls every now and the too, but it's frustrating to the point where it makes watching games no fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Addict
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 632
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 1

Anyone remember the 2009 Iowa vs. Indiana game in Iowa City where Indiana was killing the undefeated Hawkeyes. Indiana just caught a touchdown pass to go up by at least 3 scores. Indiana player dragged his toe on the Kinnick field turf. Replay even showed the beads of field turf flying in the air as the toe slid across. Nevertheless, replay officials overturn the call on the field. Indiana proceeds to fall apart and loses the game.

I think they should remove the term "indisputable video evidence" from the rule book and just replace it with "second opinion" or "what the official should have seen based on who's playing."

Rookie
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 623
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by clonetil01 View Post
    You must have had a special angle that they didn't show on national TV because I never saw a clear view of the ball ever touching the ground. The call on the field was a catch and all you saw was a dark shadow but that could have been his other arm. Never did I see any view that you KNEW the ball hit the ground. Hawkhaters or not, they once again didn't stick to the rule of concrete evidence to overturn and they just made a judgment call on what they thought happened. That being said, if the call on the field was incomplete, I believe you couldn't have overturned that either.
    Exactly...there was definitely not enough evidence either way. I think people are assuming that since the player bounced as he was going out of bounds that he didn't have control...but no replay ever showed that...I defintiely didn't see the ball hit the sideline.

There was a similar play at the end of regulation of the NC/Tenn game...and to me that looked like less of a catch but they still called it a catch. The player's helmet hit out of bounds almost simultaneously with the rest of his body hitting in bounds and as he went out of bounds the ball even slid a little bit.

I think people want replay to be a definitive yes/no and it just isn't going to happen...there is still going to be some human interpretation of what happened...and as you can see from this forum, eveyone sees things differently.