Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 21,861, Level: 45
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    drednot57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nevada, IA
    Posts
    1,620
    Points
    21,861
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 8

    Looks like the pre-season prognosticators...

    were right after all, the Big 12 is having a down year after a dismal 1-5 showing in bowl games this year; albeit one game was due to a referee's late call on a weak penalty. The NCAA rules committee needs to put actual time limits in defining what constitutes prolonged post-touchdown celebration. A two-second salute does not qualify IMO. Hopefully, Oklahoma and aTm win their games; OU better take UConn seriously.


    P.J. Farmer rocks!

  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 151,350, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    10,664
    Points
    151,350
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 358

    Re: Looks like the pre-season prognosticators...

    Quote Originally Posted by drednot57 View Post
    were right after all, the Big 12 is having a down year after a dismal 1-5 showing in bowl games this year; albeit one game was due to a referee's late call on a weak penalty. The NCAA rules committee needs to put actual time limits in defining what constitutes prolonged post-touchdown celebration. A two-second salute does not qualify IMO. Hopefully, Oklahoma and aTm win their games; OU better take UConn seriously.
    Without looking it up, isn't 1-4?



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 21,861, Level: 45
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    drednot57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nevada, IA
    Posts
    1,620
    Points
    21,861
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 8

    Re: Looks like the pre-season prognosticators...

    Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    Without looking it up, isn't 1-4?
    Correct, still my point holds, if TT, OU and aTm win, then the Big 12 2010/11 bowl record is .500 which qualifies as a down year by previous standards.


    P.J. Farmer rocks!

  4. #4
    Starter
    Points: 18,344, Level: 41
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 606
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Irresponsible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    705
    Points
    18,344
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Looks like the pre-season prognosticators...

    The referree called the penalty as the rule book defined it. What? Should he only call the penalties of the rules he agrees with? A problem with the rules should be taken up with the rules committee. A disagreement with the rules isn't an issue with the officials...


    Dean Wormer was wrong. Fat, drunk and stupid was a great way to go through college (all five years of it).

  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 106,983, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    5,208
    Points
    106,983
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 244
    Given: 237

    Re: Looks like the pre-season prognosticators...

    Quote Originally Posted by Irresponsible View Post
    The referree called the penalty as the rule book defined it. What? Should he only call the penalties of the rules he agrees with? A problem with the rules should be taken up with the rules committee. A disagreement with the rules isn't an issue with the officials...
    The rule says something like any action that draws attention to the individual. That's it. It leaves WAY too much to interpretation. And that was a weak penalty, especially given the circumstances (that's a high-emotion moment, scoring a late, potentially game-tying TD. That's a good time to cut a little slack). We hear all the time about how a certain play was "a good no-call" on possible pass interference plays, defensive holding, helmet-to-helmet, etc. You could call offensive holding on just about every play and odds are you'd be right. But they don't call every one of them. Why should the celebration rule be any different? There are times where you should let things slide, and go with the intent rather than the letter of the law.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 66,249, Level: 79
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Rogue52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    5,754
    Points
    66,249
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 1

    Re: Looks like the pre-season prognosticators...

    What I didn't understand is why was the penalty enforced on the extra point try? It's always enforced on the kickoff otherwise. Does the opposing team have the option to elect when it is enforced???



  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 11,228, Level: 31
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    leroycyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    810
    Points
    11,228
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Looks like the pre-season prognosticators...

    Best advise for celebrating athletes: "...act like you've been there before."



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 95,541, Level: 96
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,509
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acgclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,700
    Points
    95,541
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 44

    Re: Looks like the pre-season prognosticators...

    Silly time to influence a game with a ticky tack penalty, IMO.

    As for the Big 12, I would say that this was a weak year. We actually had VERY favorable bowl match ups thus far and haven't fared well.

    K-State wasn't great but faced a 7-5 Cuse team from the Big East for crying out loud.

    Mizzou was 10-2 and facing a 7-5 Iowa team.... no excuses for them

    Nebby obviously faded as the season went on and capped it off with loss to a team they beat by 35 previously. Their one-trick pony will have a tough time with their schedule next year, making the Big12 look even worse.

    Baylor/Illinois... that should have been a toss up game, but Baylor got smoked by a crappy B10 team.

    After loosing some of the NFL caliber QB's that the B12 lost last year, it shouldn't be too much a surprise that we sucked.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 254,395, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cydkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    15,504
    Points
    254,395
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 454
    Given: 396

    Re: Looks like the pre-season prognosticators...

    Quote Originally Posted by acgclone View Post
    Silly time to influence a game with a ticky tack penalty, IMO.

    As for the Big 12, I would say that this was a weak year. We actually had VERY favorable bowl match ups thus far and haven't fared well.

    K-State wasn't great but faced a 7-5 Cuse team from the Big East for crying out loud.

    Mizzou was 10-2 and facing a 7-5 Iowa team.... no excuses for them

    Nebby obviously faded as the season went on and capped it off with loss to a team they beat by 35 previously. Their one-trick pony will have a tough time with their schedule next year, making the Big12 look even worse.

    Baylor/Illinois... that should have been a toss up game, but Baylor got smoked by a crappy B10 team.

    After loosing some of the NFL caliber QB's that the B12 lost last year, it shouldn't be too much a surprise that we sucked.
    Illinois actually played some good football this year.



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 101,395, Level: 99
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,655
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,054
    Points
    101,395
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Re: Looks like the pre-season prognosticators...

    No way to know if Kansas State makes the two-point conversion or how overtime goes. That penalty hurt its chances a lot, but it didn't have the game won without it.

    The penalty call was the right one, by the letter of the law. But it's called inconsistently from official to official and game to game. Where a player can't go wrong is by handing the ball to an official and going to his bench. Why more guys don't just go with that is the problem.



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 39,505, Level: 61
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    tman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,025
    Points
    39,505
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 17

    Re: Looks like the pre-season prognosticators...

    Quote Originally Posted by Irresponsible View Post
    The referree called the penalty as the rule book defined it. What? Should he only call the penalties of the rules he agrees with? A problem with the rules should be taken up with the rules committee. A disagreement with the rules isn't an issue with the officials...
    meanwhile later that day another group of big 10 officials are letting Bray do a throat slash after ever touchdown he threw and nothing was called on those, but heaven forbid someone salute the crowd.


    Hooray for Metaphors!

  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 163,620, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    peteypie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,578
    Points
    163,620
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 268
    Given: 403

    Re: Looks like the pre-season prognosticators...

    Quote Originally Posted by tman24 View Post
    meanwhile later that day another group of big 10 officials are letting Bray do a throat slash after ever touchdown he threw and nothing was called on those, but heaven forbid someone salute the crowd.
    Ya, one hour later, I saw tennesaw do a one man marching band in the endzone followed by a more elaborate salute, and no penalty.

    I know some say act like you've been there before, but I say let them have some fun. They are penalizing fun.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 33,433, Level: 56
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 817
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    3,105
    Points
    33,433
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 0

    Re: Looks like the pre-season prognosticators...

    The Tennessee freshman QB was acting like a punk. I was happy to see him get his due when he threw the INT in overtime


    ABC - Always Be Closing

  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 48,802, Level: 68
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 948
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    baller21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,343
    Points
    48,802
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 9

    Re: Looks like the pre-season prognosticators...

    Quote Originally Posted by peteypie View Post
    Ya, one hour later, I saw tennesaw do a one man marching band in the endzone followed by a more elaborate salute, and no penalty.

    I know some say act like you've been there before, but I say let them have some fun. They are penalizing fun.

    The problem is that everyones idea of "fun" is not the same. Is a throat slash fun? The only way to get rid of bad celebrations is to ban them all.



  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 82,497, Level: 89
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,253
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CycloneWanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,149
    Points
    82,497
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 5

    Re: Looks like the pre-season prognosticators...

    There is a difference between saluting the CROWD and making a gesture AT YOUR OPPONENT. For goodness sakes, some people.




    ***King of Diplomacy***

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM