Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 106

Twister Sister Summary - Oh my...the sky is falling

The game started out rather lackluster and while ISU pulled out to a mild lead we weren't fighting for boards and this was giving PVAMU too many chances to put shots up. Midway through the half Fennelly got the team's attention and a 3 rebound deficit quickly turned into a 7 rebound margin for ISU. The team literally took over the game at this point.

For me one of the great disappointments is Anna Prins. I'm wondering if she isn't getting frustrated and this isn't helping her game out. She missed a bunny, made another but was foul prone early on leading her to the bench early. Zimm again had a brief splash and then disappeared.

Pop a workhouse scoring and rebounding throughout the first half (and as you will see, the game). She clearly came to play tonight.

Guards were not shooting well early and unfortunately this would extend through the entire game. As I posted after last night's game I wondered what would happen if our guards, and Bolte in particular, weren't scoring? The answer in the first half was Big C and Pop. The answer for the game was Pop.

Big C made her living at the free throw line in the first half. Shows very good aggressiveness. She was a part of a rare sequence of events as she has a turnover, gets fouled after a PVAMU miss, hits two free throws, gets a steal and then hits a 3. Wow.

ISU wasn't hitting from the 3 point line throughout the game and Bolte was largely ineffective offensively…BUT a trend continues…ISU hit nearly as many free throws as the opponent scored points in the first half. A big plus for Bolte was that she hit some key shots (8 points) at some very opportune times in the second half.

The Bigs (Pop, Big C and Zimm) were getting the job done in the first half. Halftime, Pop 7 points, 5 boards, Zimm 7 points, 4 boards 4-4 from the line, Big C 12 points, 2 boards 5-6 from the line and 3-4 from the field. What is scary is how 2 of the 3 disappeared in the second. Final stats for Big C 12 points, 2 boards (no points or boards in the second) and Zimm 7 points, 4 rebounds (no points or boards in the second). Wow again…but a bad one.

Second half start was ugly with Loz having 3 straight turnovers, missed shots and fouls. Add to that another turnover by Pop and then another by Loz. Very ugly.

The acronym known as PVAMU closed within nine due to the horrid play by our lady cyclones. We were just standing around except for Pop. No movement, no hustle, no helping out.

Pop was a rebounding monster and took the team on her back in the second half. It was almost not enough as the wheels really came off…even worse than the start. ISU couldn't hit anything. The turnovers continued and the Acronym kept scoring. Defense was non-existent and the game got down to six points at the eight minute mark. This was Ugly with a capital U for our ladies in red. PVAMU already had scored more points than they had in the first half and ISU was stuck in neutral. Eight turnovers so far in the half.

It got worse…another turnover and 5 straight points and this was a 2 point game. ISU looks like they are in a panic right now. A pair of Cole FT's put it at four and Pop made ANOTHER turnover. The then she had another turnover. My goodness this was UGLY with all capital letters! And then a turnover by Bolte. Are seeing the pattern here? This one led to a 3 pointer that cut the lead to 1. See my notes later about Pop's turnovers.

This is where the rubber meets the road and Bolte answered back with a two after Loz found her free. Pop followed with another two and iced a free throw to extend the lead back to six with a minute left. Loz got a steal, fed Bolte who got fouled. She made both shots to effectively ice the game with an 8 point lead.

Final Score - ISU58 PVAMU 50

Stat of the game - 22 turnovers for ISU. I personally think Pop had most of them followed closely by Loz.

Difference maker - Free Throw margin. ISU 21-26, PVAMU 7-13

Other than turnovers, Pop had a great game. She was 6-8 from the field, 6-9 from the line (18 points) and pulled in 15 rebounds. The turnovers were an interesting point of discussion. Pop was practically the only person hustling in the second half (as her stat line shows) and several of the turnovers seemed to be the result of what I thought were obvious fouls that weren't called.

Interesting helper stat - Pop's strange free throw shooting caused PVAMU into lane violations FIVE times. Pop made all five extra tries.

Big C completely disappeared in the second half. Prins didn't play much because she was nearly completely ineffective.

Two more games to tune up before the Big 12 season starts. This is one that should give Coach Fennelly something to work with.

Last edited by acoustimac; 12-30-2010 at 10:14 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 629
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 2

Re: Twister Sister Summary - Oh my...the sky is falling

Too long ...
    I was at the game. Ugly game/close win

Rookie
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 508
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

A win is a win.

Don't Panic

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 126

We simply aren't that talented. I've said that all season. The negative comments about our players are not factually based, and are unfair. They are what they are. Poppens is not a smooth player, she gets results on hustle and determination. She was not heavily recruited because she has limited offensive skills and not the best coordination. She puts out 100% effort all the time. Prins is what she is. Z is what she is.
    We have had several very average recruiting classes recently, and it is showing.

Last edited by Tornado man; 12-30-2010 at 10:57 PM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 6
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    We simply aren't that talented. I've said that all season. The negative comments about our players are not factually based, and are unfair. They are what they are. Poppens is not a smooth player, she gets results on hustle and determination. She was not heavily recruited because she has limited offensive skills and not the best coordination. She puts out 100% effort all the time. Prins is what she is. Z is what she is.
    We have had several very average recruiting classes recently, and it is showing.
    I will wait until the end of the season before assuming they are all average.

Pro
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 106

The facts speak for themselves. I really don't understand anything you are saying here. Prins was a top 75 recruit, Miss Colorado basketball and an honorable mention all american. Guess those people didn't know what they were talking about. Zimm was all-state and the 2009 Miss Iowa Basketball. Not talented. Pop was first team All state. Not talented. Jess was first team all state in Michigan and an honorable mention All American. Not talented. Last year's recruiting class was a top 20 class. Pretty average.

As for this year's recruiting class...Kelsey Harris is a FOUR time all state selection from California. They must stink out there. Big C was MVP of ALL classes in the state tournament last year and a three time first team all stater. Loz was a juco All American. Need I say more?

I base my comments on how the players are performing and while I would not claim to be an expert on women's bball I stand by my comments.

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 125
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

I agree with acoustimac - we have as much, or more, talent as we have had for years. This is a young team which hasn't yet learned to play consistently with the discipline and style the coach is asking. I hope it does and if so, this team will be in the NCAA tournament this season. In three months, this game will be a W over a tournament qualifier.

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 24

I don't know that we aren't that talented, but we don't have a player that can create their own shot like Aus and Ezell. Bolte is a jump shooter who plays solid defense. No more, no less. Prins is the female JVB. Pop plays her *** off.

The biggest problem? The Z/Pop/Prins combination doesn't look like they've improved since last season. I think some of that ties back to Aus opening up the floor, and some of it is that they just don't look like they've become better players.

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 126

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    The facts speak for themselves. I really don't understand anything you are saying here. Prins was a top 75 recruit, Miss Colorado basketball and an honorable mention all american. Guess those people didn't know what they were talking about. Zimm was all-state and the 2009 Miss Iowa Basketball. Not talented. Pop was first team All state. Not talented. Jess was first team all state in Michigan and an honorable mention All American. Not talented. Last year's recruiting class was a top 20 class. Pretty average.

As for this year's recruiting class...Kelsey Harris is a FOUR time all state selection from California. They must stink out there. Big C was MVP of ALL classes in the state tournament last year and a three time first team all stater. Loz was a juco All American. Need I say more?

I base my comments on how the players are performing and while I would not claim to be an expert on women's bball I stand by my comments.
    For example, here's what you said about Zimmerman in your commentary about the game yesterday: "I think she is physically ready, but perhaps isn't mentally." Based on what, exactly? Are you her pyschiatrist?
    I think our three newcomers - Harris, Christofferson, and Mansfield - are fine players. I don't know who else offered Harris or Mansfield. I know Hallie was highly recruited by midwestern schools.
    But this is exactly it: we are now counting on first-year players to produce on a consistent basis in order to win. If we were talented, they wouldn't be depended on so much. How fair is it to expect Christofferson to play well in her freshman year in the Big 12?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 6

For example, here's what you said about Zimmerman in your commentary about the game yesterday: "I think she is physically ready, but perhaps isn't mentally." Based on what, exactly? Are you her pyschiatrist?
    I think our three newcomers - Harris, Christofferson, and Mansfield - are fine players. I don't know who else offered Harris or Mansfield. I know Hallie was highly recruited by midwestern schools.
    But this is exactly it: we are now counting on first-year players to produce on a consistent basis in order to win. If we were talented, they wouldn't be depended on so much. How fair is it to expect Christofferson to play well in her freshman year in the Big 12?

You must have missed the memo that we are not UConn or Stanford.

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Walk On
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 552
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I thought the bolded sentence was a real nice sentiment until I read the rest... with friends like that, who need enemies.

Walk On
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 531
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 28

We just have a very young team. They will get better.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Only reading this thread and evaluating, it sounds like some of the players need to hustle a little more. The men were chasing the ball on the floor last night. Two more games is not much time to improve this team at the rate of improvement shown thus far.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 630
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 0

More than anything, I think it boils down to the fact that Bolte is the only player on this roster who has played more than one full season of Div I ball. This team has a lot of room to improve, and I think they have the ability to do it.

Legend
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 756
    Given: 1,557

Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    More than anything, I think it boils down to the fact that Bolte is the only player on this roster who has played more than one full season of Div I ball. This team has a lot of room to improve, and I think they have the ability to do it.
    +1

This is a rebuilding season. The good news is that often with Coach Fen a rebuilding season ends up being a rebuilding first half of the season.

They have a lot of work to do, but at least they are getting W's while working on it.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr