Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Buying Golf Clubs

I am going to be in the market for a new set of clubs hopefully coming up this Spring. I have continued to play more and more golf the past few summers and continue to see my game improve, although I would say I am still just a bogey golfer due to inconsistency and stupid mistakes. Anyway, my GF really wants this to be one of my Christmas gifts and is going to be giving a couple money installments to me to help pay for a new set. I bought my current set 9 years ago when I was a HS frosh and they probably are not accurately fitted for me now, so sure I could use a new set, but I was not actively looking for new clubs and do not NEED them. I guess if she is adamant about this, then I want to do my research and get a quality set that fits me well and will last, so I am looking for advice.

What places in Des Moines do you recommend to go talk to/buy from? I got my current set from Nevada Bob's, and bought a sand wedge from Golf Galaxy last summer.

Do any places sell really good used sets? And would I be able to get any money out of my old set?

I also did some reading online about "clone/knock off" online manufacturers, who claim they make similar or identical products/technology as the name brands, but without the actual name brand and selling through retail stores, you buy them direct from the manufacturer at a much cheaper cost. Are these legit clubs or should I stick with name brands (Ping, TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Adams) from the retail stores?

How useful are hybrid clubs? I have never had any, but am open to those as I rarely use/am not good with my 3 and 4 irons.

Lastly, any recommended golf pros in the area? I really want to take some lessons this Spring. Would it be better to hold off on buying clubs until I speak with my instructor and better find out my needs and his/her recommendations? Or should I have my new clubs before the lessons, that way I can use them during the instruction?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 579
    Given: 80

Re: Buying Golf Clubs

First on name brand or not-I suppose it depends on how serious you are. If you really want to improve and get to the lower 80s or so I think you would be well served going with name brand. It seems you are somewhat serious so that's what I would advise. You also will usually get very good backing if something breaks or comes apart. I have never had trouble with name brand that way. Also, get something that suits you know. Get a forgiving Iron.

I don't know about places in Des Moines but I would recommend getting your clubs fitted to you. I won't explain it but if you go to golf galaxy, they can do it. It will cost you a little bit, but it's worth it.

Hybrid clubs are the ticket IMO. There are starting to be more and more on tour and I don't personally have any, but a lot of people have them and are much more consistent with them.

I guess those are my opinions. I honestly have no idea where to tell you to buy clubs either. I haven't bought from retail in awhile so, I don't know any of the hot deals. I will say that I love Cleveland irons and TaylorMade Woods. I would say that Titleist seems to be more fit to the higher skill level players from my experience. I am decent but nowhere near higher skilled and I haven't had luck with them.

If you haven't read anything else, read this:Try a bunch of clubs. Try everything and make sure it is visually appealing. If you don't feel good looking at it, you won't feel good swinging it.

It's all snark from here on out

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 673
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

Stay away from the knockoffs. I LOVE my hybrids they are awesome. I would recommend getting the clubs before your lessons.

***Undefeated COD Clone Wars Champion***
    ***OP of the Largest Thread on CF***

Legend
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 602
    Given: 307

Hybrids FTW!

When Prepared, Fear No One.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I would also recommend getting your new clubs fitted to you. And try many clubs when you are buying. Go with the one you feel most comfortable with.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Oh yeah, I definitely want to try out a good variety, and I know that Golf Galaxy has a couple simulators and appears to be a good setup for custom fitting the clubs. I am no expert, but I do think I have a pretty good, smooth swing. The clubs I have now just don't seem to fit right, not sure if I just grew out of them when buying 9 years ago. The angle of the shaft doesn't appear to be right with the actual clubhead, so I feel like I have to bend too much in order to get the clubhead even with the ball and ground, in order to not have that backend of the clubhead sticking up off the ground higher than the front edge. If that makes sense...

I certainly am not falling into the trap of thinking just buying new equipment will drastically improve my game, but I do think being fitted correctly can help a little, along with being more comfortable w/the clubs and confident in myself. Thanks for the help!

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,178
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 130

Quote Originally Posted by CloneFan4 View Post
    I would also recommend getting your new clubs fitted to you. And try many clubs when you are buying. Go with the one you feel most comfortable with.
    I would ask a professional's opinion. You might need a stiff flex if you have a higher clubhead speed.

Knock-offs - you get what you pay for.

Hybrids - the cat's meow. Look into a rescue club as well - 3 or 4 - can get you out of more than a few jams.

Personally I have the Taylor Made urners but I needed to have them fit and when I was swinging into the net the computer analyzer (Wide World of Golf) found my swing speed was higher than anticipated which made a stiff shaft more appropriate.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Bad golfers with cheap equipment will always say there isn't a difference. Let me know when you see a scratch golfer with knock offs. It matters and IMO, in terms of consistency, it matters a lot. Properly fitted new high quality equipment will help your game. It sounds like you have your mind wrapped around it. I would take an afternoon your not doing anything and go somewhere, get a professional at GG or wherever and hit a bunch of stuff. I highly recommend The Taylormade Driver line for forgiveness.

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 837
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 25

First off, how much money are you getting to spend, that will dictate what you buy unless you are throwing in some of your own money. I had Ping Eye 2's in high school and loved them, unfortunately I grew taller and now they are too short, or I would still be using them. As everyone else has said, have them fitted to you. As for buying used, I'm not a fan, because you really don't know how the club was cared for by the previous owner, you may need to have them re-gripped, or shafts repaired and by the time you do all this, you could have purchased a new set for not much more money. Some places will take trade-ins, but not sure how much money you'll get for them. May not be much since they are an older set.

Hybrids rock - I love the 3 hybrid I have. When I got my current irons hybrids were relatively new and I wasn't sold on them. They have gotten better over the years.

As for your options in Des Moines:
    -Nevada Bobs (not called that anymore, but still there)
    -Golf Galaxy
    -Kinley's on Fleur - never been a fan of their service, they seem to cater to the older crowd.
    -Scheels
    -Sports Authority
    -Local pro shops - you may be surprised the deals you can get from these guys because they don't have to deal with a corporate office. I got a new bag at Sugar Creek in Waukee for 1/2 off because they wanted to get rid of it. A lot of these places can order clubs for you too. Don't be afraid to check these places out. You may also be able to talk to the golf pros at these places and check into lessons.

Last edited by Three4Cy; 12-29-2010 at 11:49 PM.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    Bad golfers with cheap equipment will always say there isn't a difference. Let me know when you see a scratch golfer with knock offs. It matters and IMO, in terms of consistency, it matters a lot. Properly fitted new high quality equipment will help your game. It sounds like you have your mind wrapped around it. I would take an afternoon your not doing anything and go somewhere, get a professional at GG or wherever and hit a bunch of stuff. I highly recommend The Taylormade Driver line for forgiveness.
    This. New clubs help more than you think. Especially if yours are as old as you say.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Three4Cy View Post
    First off, how much money are you getting to spend, that will dictate what you buy unless you are throwing in some of your own money. I had Ping Eye 2's in high school and loved them, unfortunately I grew taller and now they are too short, or I would still be using them. As everyone else has said, have them fitted to you. As for buying used, I'm not a fan, because you really don't know how the club was cared for by the previous owner, you may need to have them re-gripped, or shafts repaired and by the time you do all this, you could have purchased a new set for not much more money. Some places will take trade-ins, but not sure how much money you'll get for them. May not be much since they are an older set.

Hybrids rock - I love the 3 hybrid I have. When I got my current irons hybrids were relatively new and I wasn't sold on them. They have gotten better over the years.

-Golf Galaxy
    -Kinley's on Fleur - never been a fan of their service, they seem to cater to the older crowd.
    -Scheels
    -Sports Authority
    -Local pro shops - you may be surprised the deals you can get from these guys because they don't have to deal with a corporate office. I got a new bag at Sugar Creek in Waukee for 1/2 off because they wanted to get rid of it. A lot of these places can order clubs for you too. Don't be afraid to check these places out. You may also be able to talk to the golf pros at these places and check into lessons.
    If it were me, I would head to a strictly golf store. I have never been impressed with Scheels knowledge within the golf equipment. If you aren't going with a fitment, then it would probably be fine, but I think you'll be happier with GG as far as knowledge. That's all those guys do is golf equipment. Prices will almost always be the same too. I don't know about GG but the last time I was at Golfsmith, they offered free fitment if you bought the clubs there.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    If it were me, I would head to a strictly golf store. I have never been impressed with Scheels knowledge within the golf equipment. If you aren't going with a fitment, then it would probably be fine, but I think you'll be happier with GG as far as knowledge. That's all those guys do is golf equipment. Prices will almost always be the same too. I don't know about GG but the last time I was at Golfsmith, they offered free fitment if you bought the clubs there.
    Scheels is one to stay away from but I've had great experiences with Dicks Sporting Goods.

Starter
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I work for one of the best clubfitting comanies in the world. PM me with the following info:

How far do you hit a 7 iron
    How far do you hit a driver
    If you miss a green, is it left, right or short
    If you miss a fairway, is it left or right
    Do you take bit divots or not
    What is your apporoximate handicap, or what do you shoot
    What clubs do you currently have in your bag

Send me this info, and I can tell you what you should have.

Hope I can help.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

-Golf Galaxy
    -Scheels
    -Sports Authority
    Well she already gave me $100 and will give further payments, but I told her she's not paying for it all and I will also contribute. I was really surprised she did this, because I have not actively been looking for a new set, other than mentioning a few times during the summer I want get some new ones in the future when I have more money. So now I feel like I really need to get going and do my research. The amount is the other thing I'm not sure on, how much is considered a QUALITY set? I have done some quick searching online, I probably don't want to go over $1000. Is $800 range reasonable?

Why are Hybrids so good? Better control and loft compared to the 3/4 irons? Are they like a 7/9 wood?

I usually go to Longview driving range in Urbandale for practice, and just being around their 2 instructors once in a while I have been impressed. I'm pretty sure they sell sets and do free fittings if you end up buying from them.

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

-Golf Galaxy
    -Scheels
    -Sports Authority
    Nevada Bobs is now called Golf Headquarters and is IMO the best golf store in DSM. I bought a set of Adams irons from there last May. The set includes a 3 and 4 hybrid and a 5 "gap wedge". I absolutely love the set. It's a locally owned shop and I feel they really have good advice. That would be the first place I'd check out.