Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 49

Aldi and Trader Joes

This article is a little old, but gives some good information on these two sister company's. Didn't realize Aldi's opened it's first store in the USA in South East Iowa and also didn't know on a World stage it rivals Wal Mart.

Aldi and Subsidiary Trader Joe‚€™s Revered By Customers, But at What Price?

http://www.icmrindia.org/casestudies...%20Studies.htm

I buy a lot of food at Aldi. What I can't get there I find at Fareway or Target. Lot of bang for the buck and the quality is good.

Anybody else care to admit to doing the same thing?

Last edited by Bobber; 12-29-2010 at 10:48 PM.

Walk On
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Aldi and Trader Joes

I get most of my food from Aldi's.

I found out a few years back that the ketchup is from Heinz and the cereals come out of General Mills factories. I am confident that most of the rest of it is from similar situations, and you can kind of tell by the design of packaging how it is similar to its "name" brand.

The place has good German wine in it and some of the other non grocery products like DVD players and what not come from Germany as well.

Argue all a person wants but a head of lettuce is a head of lettuce anywhere and is always cheaper at Aldi's as is most things like eggs, bread etc. The milk still has to pass the same standards as any other milk. So yeah I guess after this rambling yeah I definitely admit it and support/promote them.

If you go to Germany Aldi's is the main grocery store chain.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 6

I've been to trader joes a few times. I like them and Costco for deals combined with how they treat their employees.

I don't do signatures. Blondes, brunettes, and red heads are a different story.

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 130

We have always stopped at Trader Joe's when we were in a big town, been to the one in Des Moines once, very nice.
    We are starting to go to Aldi's more, maybe 30-40% of our groceries. I think a lot of people feel weird going there, think its only for poor people, but its not. We buy a lot of the basics there: flour, eggs, granola bars, canned tomatoes.

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 508
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 65

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    This article is a little old, but gives some good information on these two sister company's. Didn't realize Aldi's opened it's first store in the USA in South East Iowa and also didn't know on a World stage it rivals Wal Mart.

Aldi and Subsidiary Trader Joe‚€™s Revered By Customers, But at What Price?

Aldi: A Low-Cost Retail Giant's Distinctive Business Practices | Business Strategy Case Studies | Case Study in Business, Management

I buy a lot of food at Aldi. What I can't get there I find at Fareway or Target. Lot of bang for the buck and the quality is good.

Andybody else care to admit to doing the same thing?
    ALDI'S started out buying the Benner Tea company and stores. The older Hyvee drug store in Ottumwa was first a Benner Tea grocery store.

U of OWA ... HOME OF THE FERENTZ "LOW RENT" GRADUATES OF THE SCHOOL OF MORAL TURPITUDE ....THE LEADING UNIVERSITY of SELECTIVE ETHICS......PROUD TO BE ETHICS-FREE, INTEGRITY-FREE .
    NO INTEGRITY, NO "I" IN OWA
    CAN YOU TELL I LOVE THE U OF OWA

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 893
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 170

Thanks to some traumatic experience in my childhood (of which I can't even totally recall) I think of Aldi as The Dented Can Store. I have a deep and abiding respect for botulism, so I never go there.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 561
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 2

I have been going to Aldi for more and more of my groceries, I now buy almost everything there, always same price or cheaper. I can't tell any difference on the taste of anything but my girlfriend claims to be able to tell on some thing's. My only complaint is that I have never been to find 90/10 ground beef only 80/20.

The African American checkout lady at the Ames store though doesn't seem to be a very happy or friendly lady.

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Their fresh produce does not tend to be good. I get most of that at Fareway. Hyvee tends to be tops in that area, but you pay for it.

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JP4CY View Post
    We have always stopped at Trader Joe's when we were in a big town, been to the one in Des Moines once, very nice.
    We are starting to go to Aldi's more, maybe 30-40% of our groceries. I think a lot of people feel weird going there, think its only for poor people, but its not. We buy a lot of the basics there: flour, eggs, granola bars, canned tomatoes.
    I do see a lot of people in that category shopping there, but you'll also see folks who appear to be well off too.

The place offers a lot of value and people realize it.

Starter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by wxman1 View Post
    I have been going to Aldi for more and more of my groceries, I now buy almost everything there, always same price or cheaper. I can't tell any difference on the taste of anything but my girlfriend claims to be able to tell on some thing's. My only complaint is that I have never been to find 90/10 ground beef only 80/20.

The African American checkout lady at the Ames store though doesn't seem to be a very happy or friendly lady.
    My brother is a District Manager for Aldi up in the twin cities. He says that the cashiers get paid a lot more hourly than any other retailer. Because of this, there are fewer employees, they demand that you do a damn good job, be very fast, and Aldi isn't as lax about breaks as other retailers. This is why they start at the $11-12 range vs the $8-9 range at most other retailers. This is also why the checkout lady probably isn't all that friendly.

The profit margin at Aldi's is considerably lower than other retailers as well so they are almost always understaffed.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,689
    Given: 174

I like Aldi, we always go grocery shopping there first, get all the essentials and anything else they have. Still have to go to Wal-mart or somewhere for some special things, but going to Aldi cuts our grocery bill in half atleast.

There is a stigma attached to Aldi I think, that it's just for poor people or whatever, but if you can get over that you can save some serious cash.

Pro
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 5

We would try Aldi if there was one close but at the moment we'd have to drive well past Fareway, Walmart, Target, No Frills and a little past HyVee to get to one. I seem to recall the food tasting noticably different though. I was young at the time so perhaps the difference wasnt bad, I dont really recall. My most significant experience with Aldi was in Germany. My buddy and I would go in there and buy jugs of apple juice to drink because they were large and cheap, whereas on the street everyone sold tiny portions of coke and such for twice as much. Being americans we couldn't subsist on only 8-10 ounces of liquid for lunch :)

I wish our Trader Joes was a bit closer. They have some great unique items that are worth a try once in a while. Their beer is pretty tasty too, although priced about the same as most others that I would tend to buy anyway.

Nothing to see here mods. Keep moving.

Starter
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37

Aldi is like shopping in Europe, and I like that.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 94

Quote Originally Posted by trueclone2 View Post
    I found out a few years back that the ketchup is from Heinz and the cereals come out of General Mills factories. I am confident that most of the rest of it is from similar situations, and you can kind of tell by the design of packaging how it is similar to its "name" brand.
    Pretty much all private label/store brand items are made by the "brand name" manufacturers (there might be an exception or 2, so I won't say all). Many times it's simply a packaging difference, but often times they are different formulations in order to sell the product at a cheaper price.

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,230
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 301
    Given: 451

We shop 80% at Aldi. They used to be more "iffy" on their products but in the last 10-15 years I am convince their product quality is generally on par with any store brand. Produce can be hit or miss. If they have it and it's nice I'll buy it. If they don't I buy something else or get it elsewhere.

If I had one complaint it is that they seem to get a lot of one time promotional items that I end up trying and liking, they you can't get them anymore.

Try the little Turkey sausages (not in the refrigerated section). They're about 1/2 inch in diameter and about an inch long. They are AWESOME!

No matter what, I could NEVER cheer for Dirt and Urine.