Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

Why Pinkel is NOT an elite coach...

You have to give Pinkel credit for another strong season, but I've wondered why no other programs make a run for him. He's rarely mentioned for any other opening. Last night shows you why. He has taken Mizzou to a level, but can't get them over the top. It's either that, or he's a rear end that no other school wants. Other opinions?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Re: Why Pinkel is NOT an elite coach...

While there may be truth to that, he wasn't the one who threw two Pick Sixes last night either. It's awfully hard to win games when your offense give up 14 points.

What ever happened to truth, justice and the American Way?

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 132
    Given: 26

Pinkle is a terrible head coach, ya he may be able to get some players to Mizzou but he fails miserable in big time situations. He is a less sexy Ron Zook. Both can recruit beat up on the little guy but when it comes to big games they are out matched.

Addict
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,249
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 108

Losing the Insight Bowl is not exactly tragic.

One of the local sport's talk shows (maybe the noon show on 1700?) had on a KC sport's guy a couple days ago. He basically said that MO looked at this bowl game as a vacation...a perk....a reward....rather than a big goal they needed to accomplish. In their opinion, regular season games carried much more weight and importance to win, than the Insight Bowl. Main focus in December was recruiting.

Did they want to win the bowl game? Yes....but they weren't busting heads to assure it either.

Definately put a different perspective on it for me.

CCG

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
    Did they want to win the bowl game? Yes....but they weren't busting heads to assure it either.
    Aptly describes their last three bowl games.

2008 - 9-4, lost B12 title game, defeated 9-3 Northwestern in OT
    2009 - 8-4, complained about being jumped in selection, lost to 9-4 Navy
    2010 - 10-2, lost to 7-5 Iowa

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 778
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

To me, Missouri and Pinkel is similar to Okie State and Gundy. They're both solid established programs but they both can never win the big game. They'll never be elite because of that but they'll consistently be in the 8-4 to 10-2 neighborhood

ABC - Always Be Closing

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 328
    Given: 43

In his defense, Gabbart gave that game away twice. EVeryone else played well enough to win except him. You aren't going to win bowl games against a decent team giving them 14 points. They would have beaten us in regulation giving us 14 points. I can't place all of that on him. Gabbart made some bad decisions. I don't think Pinkel is an elite coach but he is certaingly a very good coach. I wouldn't even compare him to Ron Zook.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,088
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 188

Pinkel was on the way out before the Chase Daniel years saved his butt, and even those years they never got that big win that kind of catapulted Mizzou to elite status even in the big 12. This year was a good bounce back year but they still couldn't get over the hump, when the conference was ripe for the picking. Honestly though I think Pinkel is happy at Mizzou and would only leave for the Washington job, other than that I don't see him leaving Mizzou voluntarily.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyBroncos View Post
    To me, Missouri and Pinkel is similar to Okie State and Gundy. They're both solid established programs but they both can never win the big game. They'll never be elite because of that but they'll consistently be in the 8-4 to 10-2 neighborhood
    I agree but don't you think the seperation between them and elitism is that little nudge in recruiting when you look at an Oklahoma or a Texas or any NC or BCS bowl team. I mean sure, you have some teams who don't historically recruit well every year show up in BCS bowls but the ones that are consistently there are the ones who are in the Top 10 classes every year. It could come down to getting that extra one guy each year and that could be 4 starters.

Or so I have read.

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 132
    Given: 26

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    In his defense, Gabbart gave that game away twice. EVeryone else played well enough to win except him. You aren't going to win bowl games against a decent team giving them 14 points. They would have beaten us in regulation giving us 14 points. I can't place all of that on him. Gabbart made some bad decisions. I don't think Pinkel is an elite coach but he is certaingly a very good coach. I wouldn't even compare him to Ron Zook.
    This is funny because they are one in the same. Lots of talent but yet **** it away in crunch time year after year. I am confused on how you dont think they are similar. I will give Zook a pass on the Rose Bowl in 07 because that team from USC was loaded and they could have probably beat any other team in the country. Otherwise they are similiar. And your statement on how the Qb throw 2 interceptions is worhtless that happens every game blah blah blah the coach obviously cant control that.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,088
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 188

Quote Originally Posted by CYCRAZY View Post
    This is funny because they are one in the same. Lots of talent but yet **** it away in crunch time year after year. I am confused on how you dont think they are similar. I will give Zook a pass on the Rose Bowl in 07 because that team from USC was loaded and they could have probably beat any other team in the country. Otherwise they are similiar. And your statement on how the Qb throw 2 interceptions is worhtless that happens every game blah blah blah the coach obviously cant control that.
    I disagree, Pinkel has sustained a successful program and has atleast been consistently in the upper half of the conference, Zooker has had a much less fruitful run at Illinois...with better recruits. Pinkel has atleast built a solid program at Mizzou and has them in a place they haven't been in recent memory. All Zook has proven is that he can recruit.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYCRAZY View Post
    In every game there are two pick sixes thrown? I don't know how Pinkel could fix Gabbart not throwing the ball away out of bounds. I honestly just have no clue how to fix that. Besides that, how many times has Pinkel been in contention for the Big 12 North and how many times has he had a pretty stellar year? Now, how many times has Zook? Zook has had one good year at Illinois and yes they were in a BCS bowl, but they shouldn't have been. That was not a BCS caliber team. Juice Williams was a hell of a talent that Zook never did anything with. Zook was at Florida, got great talent and did about the same as Pinkel is doing now with less talent. I don't think they are on the same level at all.

Or so I have read.

Starter
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 181
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCy View Post
    While there may be truth to that, he wasn't the one who threw two Pick Sixes last night either. It's awfully hard to win games when your offense give up 14 points.
    Unless I was watching a completely different game than you, I only recall one interception returned for a TD last night....

Pro
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 225
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 62

I'd take Pinkel long before Zook. Pinkel runs a clean program and the guy is squeaky clean. Mizzou is a fairly solid 2nd tier program, and there's nothing wrong with that. You could probably make a better comparison between Pinkel and Ferentz.

Mizzou doesn't have the BCS bowls on the resume the klast decade, but they have been a lot more consistent the last 4 years.

Maybe Mizzou should do more with recruits in St louis and KC but they have pretty much averaged 9-10 the last 4 years. If mizzou keeps knocking on the door, perhaps in the next 4 years they can get over the hump and become a true elite program.

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Starter
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 606
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    In his defense, Gabbart gave that game away twice. EVeryone else played well enough to win except him.
    The defense that made Marcus Coker look like the second coming of Barry Sanders played well enough to win?! Gabbart isn't the only one who shoulders blame for the loss.

Dean Wormer was wrong. Fat, drunk and stupid was a great way to go through college (all five years of it).