Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Rating Big 12 defense's

Since kNU had their media day today, Omaha sports talk radio said they would do a segment every day this week on all 12 teams. They started with the defense - rating worst to first.

12. Baylor
    11. Tech
    10. KU
    9. KSU
    8. ISU
    7. OSU
    6. MU
    5. CU
    4. kNU
    3. A&M
    2. Texas
    1. OU

The phone calls came fast from KU & KSU fans - asking how they could rate ISU better than them... They said that while their defense's were good, their offense could leave them on the field to long, creating fatigue and mistakes.

The announcer went on to say that ISU's two toughest games are at home. "And playing at home is worth something, even if you're playing OU and Texas." (Part of having swagger.)

Second, he said no one expects ISU to do anything and they will improve, because of the "Chizik factor."

What I liked about the breakdown was that while many see ISU as a last place team - a lot of people just aren't sure what to think - because it is a whole new game.

This really has the makings to be a fun season...

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,291
    Given: 633

Re: Rating Big 12 defense's

That's interesting to hear. I'm not sure what to think of ISU's overall rating. They certainly have some returning talent, but still a few question marks. Also, we could have the 8th ranked offense and 8th ranked defense, and 8+8 won't equal 8th overall. More likely lower, as some teams will have high on one side, low on the other, and their strong suit will help balance the weakness on the other side of the ball.

Rookie
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

The secondary more than any other unit on defense is what worries me. No one seems to be talking much about it but we were utterly ineffective in pass coverage last year. Taking away the 15 yard cushion is one thing but you'd better be damn physical to press a lot of these Big 12 receivers. It seems to me a majority of our d-backs right now are of the 180 lbs, 5' 10" mold. I think Chizik's recruiting will reflect the need for a bigger, stronger defensive backfield. The question is how will we do with guys that don't really fit the defensive scheme.

Addict
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,349
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 50

Quote Originally Posted by rd4isu View Post
    The secondary more than any other unit on defense is what worries me. No one seems to be talking much about it but we were utterly ineffective in pass coverage last year. Taking away the 15 yard cushion is one thing but you'd better be damn physical to press a lot of these Big 12 receivers. It seems to me a majority of our d-backs right now are of the 180 lbs, 5' 10" mold. I think Chizik's recruiting will reflect the need for a bigger, stronger defensive backfield. The question is how will we do with guys that don't really fit the defensive scheme.
    Its all about schemes. ISU had none last year except, let the opponent catch the ball and try to tackle them.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 517
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by rd4isu View Post
    I share the concern based on last year's performance, but see reasons for optimism. I'm more concerned about tackling than size. Even without factoring in Bell, the CB's on the current depth chart actually have more size than what is listed for Texas. Safety is where I hope to see an upgrade, but we'll see what coaching can do for now. I'm encouraged by reports that guys won't play if they can't tackle and that proper tackling form is being stressed in practice.

Isn't there also a change in coaching staff assignments? Mac usually had 2 guys assigned to LBs and one to the secondary. Cyclones.com isn't very specific, but I think that it is the other way around with Chizik.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    Its all about schemes. ISU had none last year except, let the opponent catch the ball and try to tackle them.
    That is why our linebacker were 3 of top 10 (Alvin at one, Tyrone around four, and Bank near 10) in the nation. They had numerous opportunities to tackle pass receivers. They were the only ones who knew how to tackle. They were able to shed their blocks.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 651
    Given: 592

I'm sick of seeing rankings, I just want to see our team perform!

@RandomGeoFacts

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I think our d will surprise a lot of people depending on if the jucos pan out. We should at least have more depth than in recent years.

The d-line needs to get a rush, with Parker, and the influx of Taylor, Lyle, and Kellman; hopefully that gets done. I think Weir steps up and starts opposite Rubin with guys like Tate, Braaksma, Frere, Black, and Bailey Johnson adding solid depth.

I think the LBs are good, but their ability may be inflated as their tackle numbers were inflated more by the lack of ability by everyone else. If Bibbs can play solid in the middle we'll be fine here.

I also think if Allen Bell is the real deal our corners will be tough. He is a big, fast guy ideal for press coverage. Out of Singleton, Williams, Sandvig, and Brown a couple should step up and be solid.

I'm puzzled at safety, Caleb Berg doesn't seem to be relinquishing his starting role, which worries me. James Smith also lost his job, which adds to it. With Bass, Scales, and Bell; maybe Jason Harris returns to d

Starter
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 600
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Iowa State will have the best defense in the Big 12!

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 8

I'm hoping for Kurtis Taylor to live up to his expectations and combine with Rashawn Parker to become legitimate pass rushers on the side. Parker had flashes of brilliance at the beginning of the year, but quickly slumped off the depth chart. If Taylor hadn't gotten injured before the start of last year, I believe he would've made a very big impact.

I'm glad that someone's finally giving props to ISU, for what it's worth. I know it's all talk until it happens on the field, but given everyone stays healthy, the defensive line should be great, the linebackers have the speed, safety looks pretty good, and the cornerbacks should be improved. I see no reason why the defensive unit this year can't be much better this year.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

I'm surprised too - that they ranked us #8 instead of #10-12.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 651
    Given: 592

Quote Originally Posted by AirWalke View Post
    I'm hoping for Kurtis Taylor to live up to his expectations and combine with Rashawn Parker to become legitimate pass rushers on the side. Parker had flashes of brilliance at the beginning of the year, but quickly slumped off the depth chart. If Taylor hadn't gotten injured before the start of last year, I believe he would've made a very big impact.

I'm glad that someone's finally giving props to ISU, for what it's worth. I know it's all talk until it happens on the field, but given everyone stays healthy, the defensive line should be great, the linebackers have the speed, safety looks pretty good, and the cornerbacks should be improved. I see no reason why the defensive unit this year can't be much better this year.
    He was in my 4th grade elem. class. If he can handle the big 12 like he handled opposing elementary QB's in flag football....CHAMPIONSHIP!

@RandomGeoFacts

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 49

Ratings really don't mean anything this time of year. We've traditionally had decent defensive teams, so perhaps that and the new coach factor is having some influence.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 710
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I was listening to the same exact station because I was shooting UNO football pictures yesterday. The guy was kind of an idiot. Really had no idea what he was talking about. He had no explanation for any of his rankings. Even said so with Missouri.

My thoughts. I would still rank ISU 7 or 8. Curtis Taylor and Rashaun Parker back is going to help immensley with our line. Not to mention Lyle and Weir in the mix.

Even though people are afraid to say so, I think we will be loaded and the DL and LB's. You heard it here first.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 728
    Given: 484

Quote Originally Posted by ISUonthemove View Post
    I was listening to the same exact station because I was shooting UNO football pictures yesterday. The guy was kind of an idiot. Really had no idea what he was talking about. He had no explanation for any of his rankings. Even said so with Missouri.

My thoughts. I would still rank ISU 7 or 8. Curtis Taylor and Rashaun Parker back is going to help immensley with our line. Not to mention Lyle and Weir in the mix.

Even though people are afraid to say so, I think we will be loaded and the DL and LB's. You heard it here first.
    I'm not concerned with the DL or LB, and wasn't so concerned about them last year. They did fine until they spent 3/4 of the game on the field the first 1/2 of the season and had no juice left after the Texas game. I thought they weren't half bad until the second half of the Texas game and after that. As far as the DBs, however, they were torched. I think a lot of that will be solved by not giving 15 yard cushions - if we're gonna be beat it'll be over the top, a lot harder to do for average QBs, even with inexperienced secondary. And you know not many receivers are going to be thrilled about going over the middle, especially with our linebacking corps. Actually, defense could be fun this year.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.