Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Ron Paul

Ron Paul tries to project an image that he is different. He has made a name for himself as a critic of overspending. But when you examine the record he is just another politician.

After reporters started asking questions about spending, the Congressman disclosed his requests this year for about $400 million worth of federal funding for no fewer than 65 earmarks. They include such urgent national wartime priorities as an $8 million request for the marketing of wild American shrimp and $2.3 million to fund shrimp-fishing research.

And Mr. Paul is considered to be one of Congress's fiscal conservatives.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,708
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 18

Re: Ron Paul

Sad isn't it, if he is considered conservative!

I think there needs to be all new blood in Washington DC, this is the only way we will see any change. No more special interest money allowed.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

If anyone thought that having the Democrats in power of the House of Representatives would change things, think again. Notwithstanding all the lip service the Democrats have given to reforming the earmark process they have been quietly moving in the opposite direction.

What remains is a sham of a reform. A prohibition on allowing Members to trade earmarks for votes? Gone. A restriction on allowing Members and their staff from promoting earmarks from which they or their families would receive a direct financial benefit? All but gone. The original reform required earmarks to be listed on the Internet and searchable 48 hours before consideration of legislation; the new bill says this is only required if it is "technically feasible." Here's betting Congress finds other urgent uses for its tech staff during Appropriations season.

Another favorite switcheroo: Under the previous Senate reform, the Senate parliamentarian would have determined whether a bill complied with earmark disclosure rules. Under Mr. Reid's new version, the current Majority Leader, that is Mr. Reid himself, will decide if a bill is in compliance. When was the last time a Majority Party Leader declared one of his own bills out of order?

Meanwhile, Democrats are proving that it's spending as usual on Capitol Hill. Earmarks are political currency that the leadership will still be able to trade for votes, and Members will use for incumbent protection. Their ethics reform will even allow Members to accept all the free lunches they want from lobbyists -- so long as those meals are classified as "campaign" events. Look for many more such midday fund-raisers.

If the Members are wondering why their approval ratings have gone subterranean, this is it.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,070
    Given: 571

I agree. We need a combination of campaign finance reform, and a line item veto. Right now, the for sale sign is out in the yard for all to see, and they still don't care. I haven't found a candidate that I really like yet. My candidate has to be one who:

1. Cuts spending across the board
    2. Supports real campaign finance reform
    3. Believes in original intent for the Constitution
    4. Supports the fair tax.

This goes for presidential and congressional candidates.

Addict
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 616
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 37

What we need is real people in office. What I mean is no more millionaire's with silver spoons in their mouths in office. Let people that make $50K / year and are dependent on such things as S.S. and it's their kids that are fighting in the war. I don't see the Bush twins in Iraq. I am pretty sure these record spending years will come to an end soon.

These types of individuals are used to working on a budget every day of their lives.....When the last time president Bush had to balance his check book???

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Ron Paul's libertarian philosophy dictates lower spending, and I think if the majority of congress was Ron Paul clones we would spend very little. However, he can't personally put a dent in spending, so he needs to play the earmark game at least a little or his district would get screwed.

That is why sweeping earmark reform will be necessary, because anyone that doesn't do it right now can't go to their constituents and say they are doing everything they can to improve THEIR lives. Its a classic collective action / game theory type problem. Unfortunately, as mentioned, both parties suck in this regard.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    What we need is real people in office. What I mean is no more millionaire's with silver spoons in their mouths in office. Let people that make $50K / year and are dependent on such things as S.S. and it's their kids that are fighting in the war. I don't see the Bush twins in Iraq. I am pretty sure these record spending years will come to an end soon.

These types of individuals are used to working on a budget every day of their lives.....When the last time president Bush had to balance his check book???
    While I get your point about someone making $50K a year more used to living on a tight budget, why do you want to exclude someone just because they have been successful financially at what they do? Problem solving is great, but if you look at the really successful leaders, I think you will find they were the ones that could envision and seize opportunities. Give me someone with a good brain, a bit of humility (OK, I am asking for a lot!) and integrity and I could support them even if we disagree on some important issues.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    I don't want those that are dependant on SS to be my elected officials. If you are planning on that being there, you are not fiscally responsible enough for me. But I would like to see normal people as senators, and I would like to see nor more than 2 term senators. After that the system has corrupted you too much and now you are the silver spoon politician.

That is why I am hearby announcing my bid for 2010 senate!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 27

Back to topic. Originally I really liked Ron Paul, he seemed like a breath of fresh air, but the more I listen to him, I think he is just another politician, but he just talks a little different. His past actions seem to show the same pattern of doing what is best for them only as the rest of the scum in washington.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15

Ron Paul is probably our best bet for some sort of fiscal conservativeness in the government. He might not be a perfect person... but I've yet to see that person run for president. Besides.. at least the money isn't a few billion being simply thrown at Halliburton. And with some of the Republican candidates.. you know for sure that'd continue.

Brianhos:
    I agree, it doesn't seem like he's quite as different as when I first was looking into him as a good candidate... but I tell you what, almost all the rest of the Republican candidates scare me. I've followed the Democrats a bit, and a couple seem alright... but I'm really not looking to make the government even more powerful, so I'm kinda stuck..

Last edited by Skyh13; 08-06-2007 at 07:57 AM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,070
    Given: 571

Didn't I just hear that Halliburton relocated to Dubai or something? Not that foreign companies can't buy candidates, since they do.

Legend
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 198
    Given: 300

Ron Paul has never voted for a tax increase. How many politicians can say that?

* He has never voted to raise taxes.
    * He has never voted for an unbalanced budget.
    * He has never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership.
    * He has never voted to raise congressional pay.
    * He has never taken a government-paid junket.
    * He has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.
    * He does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.
    * He returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S. treasury every year.
    * He voted against the Patriot Act.
    * He voted against the Iraq war.
    * He wants to remove Marijuana from the list of controlled substances

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

As far as the earmarks her is what he said.

""I don't think they should take our money in the first place. But if they take it, I think we should ask for it back."

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Also, he requests the earmarks and then votes against the budget.

Facebook Knows All
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 74

Quote Originally Posted by Skyh13 View Post
    Ron Paul is probably our best bet for some sort of fiscal conservativeness in the government. He might not be a perfect person... but I've yet to see that person run for president. Besides.. at least the money isn't a few billion being simply thrown at Halliburton. And with some of the Republican candidates.. you know for sure that'd continue.
    Actually Fred Thompson, Guiliani, and Romney are all fiscal conservatives and have records to back them up.