Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 117,969, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,490
    Points
    117,969
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 59

    Craftsman snowblower repair help

    Anyone know of any good snowblower repair help forums that I can check out? I've been Googling quite a bit today trying to find a good, easy to navigate forum to look through for help.

    Here's the problem I'm having. I have a Craftsman 88957 two-stage 179cc snowblower. Its only two years old but right now it won't run with the choke off. I have to keep the choke on so it will run, but its power is reduced significantly. It had a tough time with the snow yesterday, and that was light stuff at only about 4" or so.

    Every time I try to slowly take the choke off, it will start popping and sputtering, and when its halfway off it will just die completely. If I sit there and keep pumping the primer with the choke off it will stay running. So its leaning out, but from what I read, there is no adjustment on the carb.

    I pulled the fuel bowl off and its clean. I cleaned out the tiny holes in the shaft that the bowl bolts to, but there was nothing in there to clean out, really. The spark plug is fine, and tightly connected to the wire/boot. I want to pull the carb off completely, but I can't even figure out how to get that done without having to take the entire thing apart, and even if I do get it off of there I won't know what to look for.

    I'm not very good with small engines/carbs. I love working on car engines, but have never had much luck with small engines. Anyone have any suggestions?



  2. #2
    Walk On
    Points: 7,446, Level: 25
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eldridge, IA
    Posts
    136
    Points
    7,446
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: Craftsman snowblower repair help

    It is possible that there is a inline fuel filter that is plugged preventing enough fuel to fill the bowl. Here is a link to look around for the parts schematics.

    http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...t/index.action

    Good Luck



  3. #3
    Prospect
    Points: 6,287, Level: 23
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 263
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    58
    Points
    6,287
    Level
    23
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 19

    Re: Craftsman snowblower repair help

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    Anyone know of any good snowblower repair help forums that I can check out? I've been Googling quite a bit today trying to find a good, easy to navigate forum to look through for help.

    Here's the problem I'm having. I have a Craftsman 88957 two-stage 179cc snowblower. Its only two years old but right now it won't run with the choke off. I have to keep the choke on so it will run, but its power is reduced significantly. It had a tough time with the snow yesterday, and that was light stuff at only about 4" or so.

    Every time I try to slowly take the choke off, it will start popping and sputtering, and when its halfway off it will just die completely. If I sit there and keep pumping the primer with the choke off it will stay running. So its leaning out, but from what I read, there is no adjustment on the carb.

    I pulled the fuel bowl off and its clean. I cleaned out the tiny holes in the shaft that the bowl bolts to, but there was nothing in there to clean out, really. The spark plug is fine, and tightly connected to the wire/boot. I want to pull the carb off completely, but I can't even figure out how to get that done without having to take the entire thing apart, and even if I do get it off of there I won't know what to look for.

    I'm not very good with small engines/carbs. I love working on car engines, but have never had much luck with small engines. Anyone have any suggestions?


    Have you tried cleaning the air filter? Not a mechanic, but this has been a problem with my small engines when they are hard to start.



  4. #4
    Prospect
    Points: 4,274, Level: 19
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 376
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7
    Points
    4,274
    Level
    19
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Craftsman snowblower repair help

    Couple of Things?

    Did you leave Gas in it over the Summer? - was it Ethanol Based?

    Is it a Two Stroke or 4 Stroke?

    Sounds like the Primary Jet is Plugged So it is not getting enough Fuel

    Take the Air Cleaner off and Spray the inside with Carb and Choke Cleaner



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 131,886, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Psyclone Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    4200'50"N 93
    Posts
    3,814
    Points
    131,886
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 12

    Re: Craftsman snowblower repair help

    If you need to call someone or take it in...
    Call Beaver mower. Excellent with over the phone help, or any small engine repair. Especially snowblowers!
    LINK



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 64,993, Level: 79
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,457
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonesrule91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Waukee
    Posts
    4,925
    Points
    64,993
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 64

    Re: Craftsman snowblower repair help

    Quote Originally Posted by 68clone View Post
    Have you tried cleaning the air filter? Not a mechanic, but this has been a problem with my small engines when they are hard to start.
    Snowblowers don't have air filters because they would suck in snow, get wet and then keep the engine from getting any air.

    You have a dirty carburator and/or the pilot jet is plugged like was posted earlier. YOu should be able to take two bolts off to get the carb off and check to see if there is a screw holding the bowl on or if it is just a nut. If it has a screw then you can adjust it.....if it has a nut then there is not adjustment to it. I have had all sorts of carburators apart and can either walk you through it or I live it Waukee and can even come over and show you how it's done. Usually pretty simple.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 117,969, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,490
    Points
    117,969
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 59

    Re: Craftsman snowblower repair help

    I ran it dry on gas after winter last year so there wouldn't be any fuel in it. In hindsight, I probably would have been better off leaving a small amount of fuel in it with some stabilizer mixed in. I never put ethanol blended fuel in it, only regular unleaded.

    I've been doing some more research, and as you guys have said, it appears that the issue is likely with the primary jet being plugged up. When I had the fuel bowl off earlier, I didn't go deep enough, I'm thinking. From what I've read so far, it looks like I can take the float off fairly easily and the jet should be right behind it. I'll open it back up tomorrow and dig a bit deeper with it.

    Thanks for the help, guys!



  8. #8
    Recruit
    Points: 7,343, Level: 25
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    CycloneCJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Plymouth, MN
    Posts
    124
    Points
    7,343
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 55

    Re: Craftsman snowblower repair help

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    I ran it dry on gas after winter last year so there wouldn't be any fuel in it. In hindsight, I probably would have been better off leaving a small amount of fuel in it with some stabilizer mixed in. I never put ethanol blended fuel in it, only regular unleaded.

    I've been doing some more research, and as you guys have said, it appears that the issue is likely with the primary jet being plugged up. When I had the fuel bowl off earlier, I didn't go deep enough, I'm thinking. From what I've read so far, it looks like I can take the float off fairly easily and the jet should be right behind it. I'll open it back up tomorrow and dig a bit deeper with it.

    Thanks for the help, guys!
    Can you post your results? I also have a Craftsman and am only able to run it at about 1/2 choke or it starts surging badly. It still seems to throw snow pretty well but I think I should be able to run with the choke fully off.

    Sounds like we've been down a similar path. I pulled off the fuel bowl and cleaned everything I could reach as well but it didn't seem to help. I'd love to hear your results. Thanks.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 117,969, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,490
    Points
    117,969
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 59

    Re: Craftsman snowblower repair help

    Here are the results: This morning I pulled the fuel bowl off and was able to locate the main jet, which is inside the threaded shaft that the fuel bowl bolts to. It comes out using a straight edged screwdriver. It has a tiny hole in it that allows the fuel through, I cleaned that out with a wire out of a breadbag tie. Then I blasted the jet shaft with compressed air, as well as the fuel inlet hole (where the float allows fuel into the bowl at). Put everything back together and now it runs great, and in fact it won't run at all warmed up with the choke on (like it should be).

    I would also say that you shouldn't be discouraged if you don't actually see something plugging up the jet or fuel inlet. I didn't. Whatever I did must have dislodged whatever was plugging it up. If you have basic tools this is an easy fix, don't pay the shops big money until you actually have to start rebuilding carbs and such.



  10. #10
    Recruit
    Points: 7,343, Level: 25
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    CycloneCJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Plymouth, MN
    Posts
    124
    Points
    7,343
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 55

    Re: Craftsman snowblower repair help

    Thanks for posting your results! Did you have to be super exact (count number of turns, etc.) when you pulled the main jet? Or is it idiot proofed? :)



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 92,112, Level: 94
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 1,038
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VTXCyRyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,186
    Points
    92,112
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 49

    Re: Craftsman snowblower repair help

    Taking the main jet or pilot out is pretty idiot proof. Thread it back in until it seats. Your thinking of air/fuel jet screws were they need to be set a certain number of turns.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports 1
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM