Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Offense Philosophy Question?

So just what exactly are we going to run for an offense? Honestly, I have no idea. And I think a lot of you don't have an idea either.

I keep hearing things like we are going to spred the field and throw the ball. However, I'm also hearing things like we need a running back to step up so we can give them the ball 30 times a game.

IMO, I really hope we open it up and utilize our talent at wide receiver. If we can get Blythe, Sumrall, Moses, Franklin or Hamilton on the field at once we would really have to make teams defend us. With the experience at O-line, I think quick passes and slants are perfect. think this is what we should of done last year.

Anyway, I just wanted some further info on the offense.. Anyones thoughts?

Drews79

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

Re: Offense Philosophy Question?

Quote Originally Posted by Drews79 View Post
    So just what exactly are we going to run for an offense? Honestly, I have no idea. And I think a lot of you don't have an idea either.

I keep hearing things like we are going to spred the field and throw the ball. However, I'm also hearing things like we need a running back to step up so we can give them the ball 30 times a game.

IMO, I really hope we open it up and utilize our talent at wide receiver. If we can get Blythe, Sumrall, Moses, Franklin or Hamilton on the field at once we would really have to make teams defend us. With the experience at O-line, I think quick passes and slants are perfect. think this is what we should of done last year.

Anyway, I just wanted some further info on the offense.. Anyones thoughts?
    My guess is,we will have a game plan, but it will come down to this, and I hate to use a term I heard from Old Raisin Face, when he was in control of the Dark Side.

This first year, we will "scratch where it itches". Until the new staff gets some idea of how we compete during game day. Our trouble the last few years was our inability to adapt a game plan, during the game. I know this sounds like common sense, but last year common sense seemed to go out the window. Lining up the db's 10 yards from the line, and getting burn't over the middle time after time after time and so on and so on.

Last edited by Cyberclone; 08-04-2007 at 11:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

We've been told we're going to run the spread, especially since thats what McFarland did at SFA. It's more or less what we have the personnel for unless our Olineman have shown that we can pound it with Bass/Scales/Harris/Bell.

As long as we trash those godawful slow developing draws.

I've also heard they want to include the TE a bit more, and I really thought that was a group that was underutilized last year, as Nickel and Barkema seemed to catch everything thrown their way. It's yet to be seen if any of the younger guys like Tinilin or Catlett can catch the ball like Bark, but it's a useful tool that we should be able to use a lot with a heavy focus on Blythe and Sumrall.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 25
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by CrossCyed View Post
    I've also heard they want to include the TE a bit more, and I really thought that was a group that was underutilized last year, as Nickel and Barkema seemed to catch everything thrown their way. It's yet to be seen if any of the younger guys like Tinilin or Catlett can catch the ball like Bark, but it's a useful tool that we should be able to use a lot with a heavy focus on Blythe and Sumrall.
    I'd heard they wanted to have the TEs block more to help stave off the pass rush in the spread offense.

So many mixed views on the type of offense/defense next year's team is going to run... sure is making it hard on other teams' scouts!

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Quote Originally Posted by AirWalke View Post
    I'd heard they wanted to have the TEs block more to help stave off the pass rush in the spread offense.

So many mixed views on the type of offense/defense next year's team is going to run... sure is making it hard on other teams' scouts!

I've also heard they don't want to suck. What have you been hearing?

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 972
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

Heres one thing i've been tossing around in my head - Is our head coach considered one of the top defensive minds in the game? If so, can that not do anything other then raise our offense, imagine the difference he faces a blitzing from every angle defense he sees this year???....i'm telling you right now, our offense will be our strength....i know thats a reach from last year, but, our offense was like looking at a "Fundamentals of Football" at blockbuster, now i think we have a bit of diversity and complextion to our offense thats needed unless your recruiting class looks like USC, ND or EIU.....

I'm so hyped on how this will evolve, but, not ignorant that this might be our season....to win the big 12 north of course.....

Let's line em up and see where we stand...if were not able to withstand it...so be it....it will come, i love the way this staff recruits and coaches and i think future stars will follow....

SO ready for Aug. 30th....

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 452
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

I looked at the stats for both ISU and SFA last year.

ISU ran the ball 51% of the time, SFA ran 56%. We had 12.2 yards per pass completion with 12 TDs and 12 Ints. SFA had 11.0 yds per pass comp. with 8 TDs and 5 Ints.

If McFarland uses the same style here I would guess:
    1. We will run the ball slightly more than last year
    2. We will use more of a shorter, conservative passing game.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 39

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberclone View Post
    My guess is,we will have a game plan, but it will come down to this, and I hate to use a term I heard from Old Raisin Face, when he was in control of the Dark Side.
    I had not seen him until the news last night. Wow, that man is in serious need of a good barber. All I could think about was Lloyd Christmas when I saw Bolt.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,326
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 127

Interesting thoughts CyCY. I wonder if he had a true deep threat reciever such as Blythe to utilize last year. Sometimes you have to adjust your plays to your players talent. When CHizik was at TX they were not afraid to throw it deep.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 606
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 91

I think you will see a lot of what TT does. Look deep, if it isn't there right away, look short. There will be a lot of 3-4 yard passes to backs, bubble screens, ect. The ball will be released out of the snap in 3-4 second out of the shotgun. The new coaches are really concerned about eliminating negative plays.

Addict
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 445
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 224
    Given: 61

throwing screens and short passes will elminate teams from blitzing Meyer (which hopefully will save his life). That will also open up opportunities to throw it down the field to Blythe if Meyer is not being blitzed 75% of the time.

Addict
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 221
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

One thing to keep in mind is though it will be spread formations, it will be a balanced offense. And with a scrambling QB, I really see a Florida style coming into play. I think we will see a lot more exciting football than those dives and draws all the time.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitect7 View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is though it will be spread formations, it will be a balanced offense. And with a scrambling QB, I really see a Florida style coming into play. I think we will see a lot more exciting football than those dives and draws all the time.
    I certainly hope so! With a little bit of luck, the Kansas game will be as interesting to watch as Kent State or Nebraska will be... (aka we won't be seeing the same plays run by us or against us)

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Here are a couple of links to interviews with McFarland on CycloneNation:

Scout.com: Robert McFarland Post-Spring Q&A

Scout.com: CN Transcript: Robert McFarland

A couple of selected quotes:

CN: We’ve heard a lot about the spread offense and people anticipating what kind of offense you’re going to run. Have you settled on an offense? And if so, just talk about what that’s going to be.

RM: Well, for us obviously we’re going to have to find different ways to move the football. And we’ve got an offensive line that’s young and inexperienced and there’s going to be some growing pains there. Obviously you can only do what the offensive line is going to allow you to do. So we’re hopefully going to put those guys in the best position to keep our quarterbacks healthy and give our skill players an opportunity to maybe make some play up front. So I think that is going be the key to what we will be able to do offensively, but for us we’re going to want to spread people out, we’re going to want to throw the football, but there’s going to be times where we’re going to step in there and run it at them as well. So we plan on being very versatile on offense and not just sit in the same formation all the time, and not sit there and run the same plays all the time. So we want to try to get very diverse on what we’re trying to do and get proficient at it as well.
    CN: So how will you utilize the tight end in this system?

MCFARLAND: Well, I think obviously for them, we’re going to involve them in the pass game, and they just give you a little more added run game as well, so you don’t always have just tackles on an edge, you do have a tight end in there that people have to line up to. And it just adds a little more run game for you that you normally wouldn’t have.
    CN: Coach, one of the concerns fans have expressed over the years is that they felt this offense at times could be predictable. How do you avoid the predictability and is that even going to be a concern once people see your offense take the field?

MCFARLAND: Well, I mean, obviously if you’re predictable you’d better be very good; you’d better be more talented and so hopefully we’ll have an opportunity to keep people off-balance, you know, with a good mix of run and pass, and hopefully we’ll have that ability to keep people off-balance. I think right now as young as we are, and as inexperienced as we are right now, that’s one of the things we have to be able to do. Are we good enough to go out there and line up in one or two formations and run four or five plays? Most probably not right now. But that’s something through time you hope to get to. But right now we have to be diverse on offense, and hopefully we’ll have that ability with getting the systems down and understanding what we’re doing.
    CN: Coach, we had a question about screens. Where do screens fit in this offense, and then what are your two or three favorite plays?

MCFARLAND: Well, I think like we were talking about being diverse, I think running the ball, throwing the ball, we have to be able to mix things up and I think screens are a vital part of that, so we’ll try to utilize some screens in what we do to tie in with our pass-protections and stuff like that, so hopefully we’ll utilize those when we see fit to do those. So hopefully that’ll be something we’ll be able to do.

Pro
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Just my two cents, but I think early on you are going to see some quick drops by Meyer and getting rid of the ball fast. And shotgun.

And spreading the field with multiple WR sets, in order to free up the box to run the ball a little better.

I think this is an offense that could expand as the year goes on, depending on how long it takes the offensive line to mesh. I asked Coach Chizik about this aspect, and he said that the offensive line meshing could be something that goes on all season long.