Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 0

MBB recruit Kenton Walker - poll added

I was looking at Kenton Walker's bio, and it looks like he plays for Pump and Run in California. Didn't Otzelberger coach that team at one time, or wasn't he involved with it? Does he have a previous relationship with Walker, and is that why we are right in the running for him? I like how he looks as a player, I hope we sign this kid.

CF Founder
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 291
    Given: 139
    TJ has a great releationship with Walker and his entire family. From what I have been hearing, I really think we'll get Kenton soon. There are no issues yet to be resolved and I think it's only a matter of time before we get him to verbal.

My personal opinion regarding Walker is that he is a very, very good player that would fit in perfectly with the style of ball we're likely to run. To me, Walker makes more sense and would provide more than Leuer would even though people are really high on Leuer right now. The best thing in my opinion is that Kenton really wants to play at Iowa State and for TJ and he will put 120% of his effort into becoming the best he can be.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    The best thing in my opinion is that Kenton really wants to play at Iowa State and for TJ and he will put 120% of his effort into becoming the best he can be.
    Thats all we can ask from him I guess.

EDIT: Coach otzelberger continues to amaze me with all the ties taht he has to recruits. I'm so glad we have him on our side.

Last edited by clone33; 08-10-2006 at 08:22 AM.
    God Bless America

Rookie
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 290
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I was looking at Kenton Walker's bio, and it looks like he plays for Pump and Run in California. Didn't Otzelberger coach that team at one time, or wasn't he involved with it? Does he have a previous relationship with Walker, and is that why we are right in the running for him? I like how he looks as a player, I hope we sign this kid.
    You are correct. Last summer, Otzelberger coached the Pump and Run AAU team from California.

Psyched about the Clones!!!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    My personal opinion regarding Walker is that he is a very, very good player that would fit in perfectly with the style of ball we're likely to run. To me, Walker makes more sense and would provide more than Leuer would even though people are really high on Leuer right now. The best thing in my opinion is that Kenton really wants to play at Iowa State and for TJ and he will put 120% of his effort into becoming the best he can be.

I am totally with you there. Kenton looks like a good rebounder, who has continually played against solid competition in California and with his AAU team. We had a bunch of tall guys who could shoot from deep with guard skills last year, and we went 16-14 with our leading rebounder being a SF. Give me a guy who can bang down low and play hard for a great developer like McDermott every time.

I've heard these quotes from a High School coach in Minnesota as well:

"I live and coach about 20 miles from Orono and would tell Hawkeye fans to wait and see on this guy. He averaged 20 points a game, but his team was 14-12 and was never guarded by a division 1 level player all season! Several games he played he was held to 10-12 points by a player less than 6-4. He could end up being a gem but was no standout last year. I will post more when I see him this winter, I will come across him several times in scouting games of common oponents."

Then in response to him blowing up in AAU:

"I would answer your AAU info this way. AAU teams don't play and don't play against defenses, particularly at the level we are talking about. AAU tourneys of this size are all about scoring, and any defense is usually a one on one block attempt. High school basketball during the regular season teaches a defensive system that will be geared to stop this kid from scoring. When that happens, big kids who are softer drift outside and shoot the ball which is exactly what the opposing team wants. Can this kid than hit the shot? He can now, but in college he won't be able to drift out and hit the shot because of the defensive speed, and if this kid can't create his own shot, like I haven't seen him do, then what will he bring to an Iowa roster?"

These things are very worrisome to me. I wish the best to that kid, I do, but I think with Kenton Walker you know exactly what you'll be getting. Leuer looks like a flavor of the month prospect who will actually take a few years to become a contributor.

Edit: Obviously I got this from a Hawk board, because they think they are getting him, and was looking for information on him. We'll see what happens with him.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 384
    Given: 351
    Jeremy, if Walker wants to play at ISU so bad why hasn't he committed? Does he actually have an ISU offer? I like his game mor than Leur.

Rookie
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 290
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    Jeremy, if Walker wants to play at ISU so bad why hasn't he committed? Does he actually have an ISU offer? I like his game mor than Leur.
    He definitely has an pending offer. Choosing a school is a big decision for these players. They are pulled in a lot of different directions and influenced by a lot of different factors. Don't worry, I'm sure Coach Otz is on top of this one. Just give it a little time.

Psyched about the Clones!!!

CF Founder
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedClone View Post
    He definitely has an pending offer. Choosing a school is a big decision for these players. They are pulled in a lot of different directions and influenced by a lot of different factors. Don't worry, I'm sure Coach Otz is on top of this one. Just give it a little time.
    That's really a great point. The last thing you would want is somebody to commit too early. You don't want players to feel like they made a bad decision or you will be stuck with players that either transfer out or don't play to their potential. When such a big decision is to be made, I'm glad it takes some time. I agree that waiting isn't easy but sometimes it's the best thing in the end.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Addict
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,510
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29

Also...

I think players enjoy the recruitment process. They are the center of attention. They get to do visits and and be treated like a star. Why not ride that out for a while even though you may have your mind made up?

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I am totally with you there. Kenton looks like a good rebounder, who has continually played against solid competition in California and with his AAU team. We had a bunch of tall guys who could shoot from deep with guard skills last year, and we went 16-14 with our leading rebounder being a SF. Give me a guy who can bang down low and play hard for a great developer like McDermott every time.

These things are very worrisome to me. I wish the best to that kid, I do, but I think with Kenton Walker you know exactly what you'll be getting. Leuer looks like a flavor of the month prospect who will actually take a few years to become a contributor.
    Great stuff as always, Bryce. Very informative. Count me in on Walker over Leuer. Really hoping to see some commits in the very near future. Stinnet, McFarland, and Walker would be great IMO.

URBCLONE

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    TJ has a great releationship with Walker and his entire family. From what I have been hearing, I really think we'll get Kenton soon. There are no issues yet to be resolved and I think it's only a matter of time before we get him to verbal.

I agree Jeremey, he looks like a guy that would fit Gmac's style. I really hope he commits but if he does... we'll have a lot of "bigs" in '07; Hubalek, Marsden, Thompson, Johnson, Brackins, and Walker. 6 guys to play 2 positions - somebody is gonna sit :-)

CF Founder
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    The good thing is that of our bigs, they all bring something to the table. Thompson to me is a good matchup in practices especially but can play 10-20mins a game. Marsden is improving a lot and has the desire to be good and play quality minutes. Johnson and Brackins can hit mid to long range shots fairly accurately but are also great inside. Walker is a great bruiser and strength player with a nice shot. Hubalek is the unknown because it remains to be seen just how much he wants to improve his game. Leuer to me doesn't bring as much into that group as Brackins or Walker. I think Leuer could be good but I'd take Walker anyday.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 259
    Jon Leuer sounds like a Loren Meyer small school or that Holman Remson product situation. They turned out well. If he can shoot, he can be taught to do the other things under good coaching.

I would hope a second person would be accepting an 07 offer soon. Oh yeah, we did get Alex Thompson. Make it a third person.

That could become the BIG Story.

Last edited by Wesley; 08-11-2006 at 10:29 AM.
    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 384
    Given: 351

Recruits

"Great stuff as always, Bryce. Very informative. Count me in on Walker over Leuer. Really hoping to see some commits in the very near future. Stinnet, McFarland, and Walker would be great IMO."

I want a PG in the group of remaining commits. I don't like Stinnett as a PG.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    I want a PG in the group of remaining commits. I don't like Stinnett as a PG.
    We are still very much in the running for Diante garrett. I think that he should be priority numero uno right now. Not that Walker and Stinnett wouldnt be good pickups i the mean-time.

God Bless America