Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

A realistic look at our 11-2 record

While I like what I have seen so far let's break down exactly who we have played so far:

Northern Arizona (7-4) may be one of the better teams we have beat so far, they lost by 4 to Creighton, by 8 to USC, and by 5 to Arizona
    Alabama State (2-9) Only wins are against Kennesaw State and Oakland
    Drake (4-6) lost to the Dartmouth team we just blew out
    Creighton (7-4) may be the best team we have played so far
    Kennesaw State (2-8)
    Montana State (6-6)
    UNI (7-3) probably 2nd best team we have played and the lost to Iowa who we beat which isn't saying much
    Cal (6-4) another game we probably should have won
    Southeast Missouri State (3-10) their 3 wins all have come in their past 3 games
    Iowa (7-5)
    Texas Southern (2-7)
    Dartmouth (4-7)
    Chicago State (3-11)

If anything we have a case to make that this team should be 13-0 right now based on the weak competition we've played. Unless UNI catches fire in the MVC I don't see them going to the NCAA tourney this year. I think we'll win a game or 2 in conference play we weren't supposed to but based on our results so far we can blow out bad teams and play close ones against mediocre at best teams (UNI, Iowa, Cal.) We really haven't run into a team with a "banger" in the post yet which I think we are going to have problems with when we see them on a regular basis in conference play and I'm not sure our wing players have really gone up against many of the caliber of players they'll see in the conference either with the exception of maybe the Cal game and those guys held DG and Ejim in check fairly well.

I am pleased with Diante's improved jumper and being able to actually finish a layup this year. I think Ejim is going to be a good player here, especially once we can move him to the 3 where I think he's better suited, and I think Godfrey and Railey are pretty raw right now but both have some talent that once they start playing up to it consistently are going to be nice players for us too. Scotty's hot start makes you wonder what last year's team may have done had he not been sick most of the season. I'm still a little frustrated with JVB, we really need him to play more like a big man and not a 6-11 shooting guard. We are going to need all the depth we can in the post com Big 12 play because I can see us having foul troubles often with our post players. We have 2 true freshman that will likely commit some freshmen mistakes and a senior who doesn't play like a big man sometimes along with another true freshman playing out of position at the 4 in Ejim. McKnight may be forced into action more than we'd like some games and he really could have used a year to redshirt and put on some muscle. It's too bad Dendy and Hamilton didn't wait to see how things played out, we probably will really miss them here in a month.

Go Cubs Go!

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 37

Re: A realistic look at our 11-2 record

Nice analysis.

One comment - Dendy did not have a choice in the matter of returning for this season

Addict
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,455
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 279
    Given: 46

We definitely could use big Ham this year. His experience would have come in especially handy starting now. Had he stayed, we might be looking at a legit run at the tourney, IMO.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 79

No doubt we are not necessarily a great basketball team right now. As stated in other threads, the non-con schedule is a good confidence booster for a team without much depth or experience both in terms of playing experience and head coaching experience. I expect the first part of the conference season to be pretty ugly. However, I think once our guys have played some Big 12 basketball, things will pick up and we should get a victory or two that isn't expected at Hilton. Playing against the best damn scout team in the land doesn't hurt either. What I'm looking for out of this season is improvement, and hopefully I won't be disappointed.

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

He did before he went awall...Twice really. He decided to transfer then decided maybe he should stay....Moving on the schedule is what it is, I've seen enough out of the players, chemistry to say we will be in a lot of close games and be blown out by good teams with good big men.

Legend
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 687
    Given: 558

Quote Originally Posted by CYdTracked View Post
    While I like what I have seen so far let's break down exactly who we have played so far:

Northern Arizona (7-4) may be one of the better teams we have beat so far, they lost by 4 to Creighton, by 8 to USC, and by 5 to Arizona
    Alabama State (2-9) Only wins are against Kennesaw State and Oakland
    Drake (4-6) lost to the Dartmouth team we just blew out
    Creighton (7-4) may be the best team we have played so far
    Kennesaw State (2-8)
    Montana State (6-6)
    UNI (7-3) probably 2nd best team we have played and the lost to Iowa who we beat which isn't saying much
    Cal (6-4) another game we probably should have won
    Southeast Missouri State (3-10) their 3 wins all have come in their past 3 games
    Iowa (7-5)
    Texas Southern (2-7)
    Dartmouth (4-7)
    Chicago State (3-11)

If anything we have a case to make that this team should be 13-0 right now based on the weak competition we've played. Unless UNI catches fire in the MVC I don't see them going to the NCAA tourney this year. I think we'll win a game or 2 in conference play we weren't supposed to but based on our results so far we can blow out bad teams and play close ones against mediocre at best teams (UNI, Iowa, Cal.) We really haven't run into a team with a "banger" in the post yet which I think we are going to have problems with when we see them on a regular basis in conference play and I'm not sure our wing players have really gone up against many of the caliber of players they'll see in the conference either with the exception of maybe the Cal game and those guys held DG and Ejim in check fairly well.

I am pleased with Diante's improved jumper and being able to actually finish a layup this year. I think Ejim is going to be a good player here, especially once we can move him to the 3 where I think he's better suited, and I think Godfrey and Railey are pretty raw right now but both have some talent that once they start playing up to it consistently are going to be nice players for us too. Scotty's hot start makes you wonder what last year's team may have done had he not been sick most of the season. I'm still a little frustrated with JVB, we really need him to play more like a big man and not a 6-11 shooting guard. We are going to need all the depth we can in the post com Big 12 play because I can see us having foul troubles often with our post players. We have 2 true freshman that will likely commit some freshmen mistakes and a senior who doesn't play like a big man sometimes along with another true freshman playing out of position at the 4 in Ejim. McKnight may be forced into action more than we'd like some games and he really could have used a year to redshirt and put on some muscle. It's too bad Dendy and Hamilton didn't wait to see how things played out, we probably will really miss them here in a month.
    Dendy I could care less about. If we were ever any good you can't have a 40% free throw shooter out there in crunch time of big games.

It really hurt losing Hamilton. If we have him UNI, Creighton and Iowa are all comfortable wins. We just don't have size and rebounding inside although Godfrey shows the potential. It was a great pickup (season saving) to get an average height guard who somehow sniffs out 9 rebounds a game, but it can't replace an inside big and the defending that needs to be done.

Hope Hamilton is enjoying sitting on the bench watching his team get pounded by Nichols State and Coastal Carolina (home losses) while being closer to Utah living in Louisiana.

LSU RPI: 181
    LSU Sagarin: 147

ISU RPI: 118
    Sagarin: 67

Addict
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

I'll agree with Dendy being somewhat of a headcase at times. I think the kid had talent, he knew it, but didn't think he had to put in the extra effort to become a better play and fullfil that talent. Also heard from someone that Dendy wanted to play the 3 and Hoiberg told him if he wanted to stay he'd be playing the 4 and 5. I'm not sure how he sees himself as a 3, I can't remember him hitting a jumper more than 10 feet away if that. Chemistry-wise it may not be a bad thing he is no longer here with some of the attitude and work ethic issues I have heard about. Ham may have not been well-suited for the fast paced game but on defense and when we are forced to run a half court set on offense his size would have really helped this year.

I'm looking at this season as putting the foundation into place for the future of this program. Anything as far as surprising wins or any kind of postseason play is just icing on the cake. I think expectations, work ethics, and what kind of style ISU is going to play is going to be established with the current players and put on display for recruits. I'm eager to see this team next year with a year of expirience under the belts of the kids new this year and the scout team that supposedly is just pounding our starters in scrimmages right now.

Go Cubs Go!

Walk On
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 456
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

This team's success is predicated on forcing the opposing team to miss shots, rebounding and getting down the floor to get open looks with good spacing. In the half court we try to replicate this by using ball screens, and/or dribble drive and kick for open looks. That is our bread and butter and we have done really well when we were able to do this. However when our #1 option is taken away, we need to figure out a #2 and #3 option to continue to score, and then come back to #1 when we can. We haven't done as well yet when good teams get in our face and/or they are making shots. If we can adjust to this, we have a chance to be good. Just don't know if we have the personnel to have that many options this year to make adjustments to.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 1

Hamilton would probably be averaging about 12 and 10 for an undefeated team had he stayed this year. Wish he would have stayed.

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,146
    Given: 599

I don't really care about players who are no longer here, but I think your assessment is fine. We've beaten who we should beat, and had some tough games against decent, but not great teams. I'll take it given the scenarios going into the season.

Hopefully they've gelled and gained some confidence from this, and can somehow step it up even further for a tough schedule ahead. Any base for optimism for the future of the program that they can set this year puts us that much further ahead for getting back to where ISU basketball belongs.

Walk On
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I would like to have Dendy and Ham on this team as well, but which scout team player or players, do we give up for those 2 to be on scholarship? I am happy to stick with what we have this year and hopefully make big strides next year.

Pro
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 11

I don't understand why people keep expecting Vanderbeken to play like a big man. He's tall, but being physical in the post isn't his game. It will never be his game. Hoiberg has commented on this before. We need JVB to grab some boards and blocked shots, but expecting him to turn his game completely around is ridiculous. The guy can shoot. That is what he should be doing. Other than defensive discipline, I think JVB is playing fine. He's going to get abused a few times this season, but expecting him to turn into Kelvin Cato is unrealistic. His skills are more guard-oriented. Just because he's 6'11" doesn't mean we shouldn't cater to his skill set.

I don't bring my own opinions, just attack others.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,512
    Given: 1,294

Quote Originally Posted by jahfg View Post
    I don't understand why people keep expecting Vanderbeken to play like a big man. He's tall, but being physical in the post isn't his game. It will never be his game. Hoiberg has commented on this before. We need JVB to grab some boards and blocked shots, but expecting him to turn his game completely around is ridiculous. The guy can shoot. That is what he should be doing. Other than defensive discipline, I think JVB is playing fine. He's going to get abused a few times this season, but expecting him to turn into Kelvin Cato is unrealistic. His skills are more guard-oriented. Just because he's 6'11" doesn't mean we shouldn't cater to his skill set.
    One could say that it's effective coaching to utilize him doing what he can do.

I know that he will get abused some down low. At the same time, he'll drag some other big guy out towards the perimeter, and that creates driving lanes for the other guys. It kind of comes out in the wash.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Pro
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,401
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think we're 9-0 against teams we absolutely should beat, and 2-2 against teams before the season that I'd have considered 'toss-ups', those being Creighton, Northern Iowa, Iowa, and Cal. I'm honestly surprised, looking back, that we've handled the bad teams as easily as we have. I fully expected, or was hesitant, that we'd lose to one or more of those cupcake games and be somewhere around 9-4 or 8-5 at this point in the schedule.

If I was offered 11-2 before the season, I'd have taken it in a heartbeat.

Rookie
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

We are 84.6%.
    Should be 100%.
    With Big Ham, we would be an NCAA tournament team.