Recruiting rankings
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 33,277, Level: 56
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 973
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    bpmcclain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,182
    Points
    33,277
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 6

    Recruiting rankings

    This is what Scout has for their recruiting rankings of ISU. This is very early and means nothing since there is plenty of time for more kids to committ to schools; this is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

    This being said, as of now they have ISU's recruiting class ranked 71st so far. This is ahead of some notable schools like UConn (75), Miami (83), and Colorado (88). I think this is about where you would expect ISU to be, though they still have plenty of time to move up the list a little. Here's the link if interested

    Scout.com: Football Recruiting



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 162,563, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rhoadhoused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    9,173
    Points
    162,563
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 747
    Given: 365

    Re: Recruiting rankings

    doesnt mean much especially since they are about 4 recruits behind on our class.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 79,065, Level: 87
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,085
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYVADER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cornfields
    Posts
    5,231
    Points
    79,065
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

    Re: Recruiting rankings

    we are always going to be ranked that low. we need good coaches to coach these 2 and 3 star prospects into 4 star talents. i THINK we have that in place right now. the key will be keeping the staff together for 5 years or more so we can get depth where or "coached up players" are upper classmen, giving the staff the opportunity to coach up the freshmen to replace outgoing seniors. we are not even close to being there yet, but i honestly feel we are going in the right direction for the first time in 10 years.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 162,563, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rhoadhoused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    9,173
    Points
    162,563
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 747
    Given: 365

    Re: Recruiting rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by ISU BET View Post
    we are always going to be ranked that low. we need good coaches to coach these 2 and 3 star prospects into 4 star talents. i THINK we have that in place right now. the key will be keeping the staff together for 5 years or more so we can get depth where or "coached up players" are upper classmen, giving the staff the opportunity to coach up the freshmen to replace outgoing seniors. we are not even close to being there yet, but i honestly feel we are going in the right direction for the first time in 10 years.
    Agreed. We need to get to the point where we have 20 seniors graduating, and we fill almost all of those spots with RS Jrs and Srs instead of FR and SO.



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 85,253, Level: 90
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,708
    Points
    85,253
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Recruiting rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by ISU BET View Post
    we are always going to be ranked that low. we need good coaches to coach these 2 and 3 star prospects into 4 star talents. i THINK we have that in place right now. the key will be keeping the staff together for 5 years or more so we can get depth where or "coached up players" are upper classmen, giving the staff the opportunity to coach up the freshmen to replace outgoing seniors. we are not even close to being there yet, but i honestly feel we are going in the right direction for the first time in 10 years.
    We can have better classes and we will need them. IMO- ideally we sign a full class of 3 star guys. That would generally put us in the 35-50 range. That will give us the needed talent to coach up. That is how schools like TCU, iowa, Kansas(when they got good), Missouri, Utah, etc all built their programs into successful programs.

    No matter what, you need talent to win consitently and as Rhoads has said they need to recruit over what is already in place. That means you try to recruit over guys like Shontrelle Johnson.


    "Not at the table Carlos."

  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 79,065, Level: 87
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,085
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYVADER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cornfields
    Posts
    5,231
    Points
    79,065
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

    Re: Recruiting rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by tazclone View Post
    We can have better classes and we will need them. IMO- ideally we sign a full class of 3 star guys. That would generally put us in the 35-50 range. That will give us the needed talent to coach up. That is how schools like TCU, iowa, Kansas(when they got good), Missouri, Utah, etc all built their programs into successful programs.

    No matter what, you need talent to win consitently and as Rhoads has said they need to recruit over what is already in place. That means you try to recruit over guys like Shontrelle Johnson.
    oh no doubt about it, i agree 100%. but too many on here see kids with 2 and 3 star rankings and automatically assume that's it-they won't be developed, or whatever. that's not the case-a good coach takes 2 and 3 star guys and develops them into all big 12 caliber guys.

    some of them are ranked low for reasons other then skill-injury, grades, etc. we need to hit on guys like that, too.



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 33,277, Level: 56
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 973
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    bpmcclain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,182
    Points
    33,277
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 6

    Re: Recruiting rankings

    I agree that we need to get more 3 star guys, but we also need to keep finding guys like Franklin and KO who were under the radar and turned out to be great finds



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 98,595, Level: 97
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 455
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acgclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    7,174
    Points
    98,595
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 544
    Given: 114

    Re: Recruiting rankings

    CPR will have to find gems and develop them, but you can't rely only on that strategy to get us over the .500 caliber. To get our program on the same level as Iowa, Mizzou, Okie St, etc we will need to upgrade our recruiting.

    People act like Iowa only recruits 2-stars and develops them into NFL players. Yes, it has happened, but they get plenty of 3/4 stars mixed in that also develop into NFL players and good college contributors. Also, it's not as if every other coach/team doesn't try to find hidden talent and/or develop players.

    We need to continue to develop to be sure, but we also need to recruit better players. We'll never be more than a .500 average team if we can only rely on "superior coaching and development" and not better talent.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 348,268, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,591
    Points
    348,268
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 736
    Given: 92

    Re: Recruiting rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by acgclone View Post
    CPR will have to find gems and develop them, but you can't rely only on that strategy to get us over the .500 caliber. To get our program on the same level as Iowa, Mizzou, Okie St, etc we will need to upgrade our recruiting.

    People act like Iowa only recruits 2-stars and develops them into NFL players. Yes, it has happened, but they get plenty of 3/4 stars mixed in that also develop into NFL players and good college contributors. Also, it's not as if every other coach/team doesn't try to find hidden talent and/or develop players.

    We need to continue to develop to be sure, but we also need to recruit better players. We'll never be more than a .500 average team if we can only rely on "superior coaching and development" and not better talent.
    How do you think Iowa got started. Go take a look at Kirks first few classes. Not spectacular.


    It's all snark from here on out

  10. #10
    Starter
    Points: 18,289, Level: 41
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Ace000087's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    749
    Points
    18,289
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Recruiting rankings

    ISU has traditionally not recruited well according to any of the star ranking systems over the last 10 years. Living off the diamonds in the rough is fine, but it would be nice to have a few big breaks and get a few athletes ISU "shouldn't" get.


    1337 Internet. Serious Business.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Mediacom 22
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Drake
  • December 20, 2014
  • 04:00 PM