Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 0

Geno Auriemma/The Streak

I just do not get this guy. Here are some quotes from him from the ESPN article:

UConn coach Geno Auriemma says fans dislike women tying men's streak - ESPN

"I just know there wouldn't be this many people in the room if we were chasing a woman's record," the Connecticut coach said Sunday near the end of his postgame news conference. "The reason everybody is having a heart attack the last four or five days is a bunch of women are threatening to break a men's record, and everybody is all up in arms about it."

"All the women are happy as hell and they can't wait to come in here and ask questions. All the guys that loved women's basketball are all excited, and all the miserable bastards that follow men's basketball and don't want us to break the record are all here because they're ******," Auriemma said. "That's just the way it is."

"Because we're breaking a men's record, we've got a lot of people paying attention," Auriemma said. "If we were breaking a women's record, everybody would go, 'Aren't those girls nice, let's give them two paragraphs in USA Today, you know, give them one line on the bottom of ESPN and then let's send them back where they belong, in the kitchen.' "
    Does this guy have a martyr complex or what? Is he just PO'd that for the most part people just don't care about WBB? The only thing that annoys me about this whole thing is how people keep comparing this team to UCLA - it's two different eras, in two different sports. Frankly I think the guy is kind of a jerk, he always acts like he's getting persecuted in every interview I'd heard from him.

Also, I'm kind of annoyed at ESPN. They are the ones really pushing the "UConn vs. ULCA" thing.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 13

Re: Geno Auriemma/The Streak

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I just do not get this guy. Here are some quotes from him from the ESPN article:

Does this guy have a martyr complex or what? Is he just PO'd that for the most part people just don't care about WBB? The only thing that annoys me about this whole thing is how people keep comparing this team to UCLA - it's two different eras, in two different sports. Frankly I think the guy is kind of a jerk, he always acts like he's getting persecuted in every interview I'd heard from him.

Also, I'm kind of annoyed at ESPN. They are the ones really pushing the "UConn vs. ULCA" thing.
    Completely agree. My skin crawled when I heard this interview on SC this morning. Why can't his team's record stand on its own? Why does he even have to bring a MBB record into it? They are not the same league. It is a stupid and inept comparison. I don't get it. Do we really want to start measuring the success of women's sports against men's?

I also think ESPN is equally to blame, but they are just hyping this up to try and get people to tune into EPSN2 for game 89.

Last edited by RayShimley; 12-20-2010 at 11:44 AM.

Rookie
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

What an idiot.

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 481
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You all better watch out or you will be considered sexists by Mr. Aureimma. Did anyone else see his interview at half time of that game? By saying these things I feel as if he's wanting people to be prejudiced about it, and that's not at all the case. It doesn't matter that it's a male or female record. It's just one of the greatest records in all of sports and he's accomplishing it by getting some of the greatest players every single year.

Hilton Coliseum was specifically built to hold in sound with a solid concrete structure, steel doors, and a crowd that sits just a few feet from the court. With a fan base that frequently ranks among the nations largest crowds, players from opposing teams, as well as Iowa State, have said that the floor has shaken due to the loudness of the crowd

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 605
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 59

IHCC has the record at 89.

Go Cyclones!!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 45

I think Geno is spot on. Good for him. He's standing up for his sport, and his team.

Recruit
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 249
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

sounds like he is ****** that he was not given the chance to coach a MBB program. I bet just about anyone with some Bball knowledge could coach the talent he has to a nice winning streak. What a little *****.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ty4cy90 View Post
    You all better watch out or you will be considered sexists by Mr. Aureimma. Did anyone else see his interview at half time of that game? By saying these things I feel as if he's wanting people to be prejudiced about it, and that's not at all the case. It doesn't matter that it's a male or female record. It's just one of the greatest records in all of sports and he's accomplishing it by getting some of the greatest players every single year.
    Exactly. He obviously has a complex because WBB does not get the media coverage of MBB; but why does he care? The women on his team are getting an outstanding opportunity at both a college education and the fulfillment that goes along with competing in athletics at the highest level. This is solely about Geno's ego, and nothing else.

Addict
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 1,047
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 350

Does this guy have a martyr complex or what? Is he just PO'd that for the most part people just don't care about WBB?
    Geno still annoys me, but I almost don't hate him as much as I used to. He still comes off like a a-hole, but occasionally he makes sense. He could act a little less defensive his team gets plenty of love (OK, ALL the love) from ESPN et al. But at least I think a lot of his "martyr" act is partly in defense of his players (the other part is inferiority complex. I think some media types think he could never succeed this well as a men's coach)

The only thing that annoys me about this whole thing is how people keep comparing this team to UCLA - it's two different eras, in two different sports.
    I actually think the comparison is apt, because of this: As far as its development and popularity (and overall parity/competitiveness), WCBB is roughly 30 years behind MBB, which mirrors 1980 pretty well. Up until that time MBB had a niche following and only a few dominant teams just five years before, UCLA was still The Program. There was UCLA, and then a few other prominent schools, then Nobody Else, as far as general interest. That's kind of where WBB is right now.

Bass Lake Beacon: The best in local news satire

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,104
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I can't stand Geno and his ego. The guy is a world-class ***** if you ask me.

- Im not a spin my wheels type of guy." - Coach Paul Rhoads

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    I think Geno is spot on. Good for him. He's standing up for his sport, and his team.
    What is he standing up for? Is someone threatening to cut WBB scholarships? How has he or his sport been wronged? Does he also feel this way about every other NCAA sport that doesn't get equal media attention to MBB?

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

He misses the point. If this was the UConn men's team breaking a record set back in the day by the UCLA women's team I think it would get all the same media attention. The reason people care is because it's a ridiculously long streak.

If he wants to take an incredible accomplishment that should be a celebration of what all the players involved have accomplished and turn it into a whiny little 'no one respects us' rant it's his call. IMO the best way to build respect for your sport is to not throw a tantrum about something when the media does show up to cover your accomplishments.

Earth to Geno you want more respect for your sport. You just had the chance to get some well deserved publicity and you chose to take the opportunity to ***** about not getting any respect.

"Blamo"! The new CF approved swear word.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 152

Both the media and Geno are acting a fool here - including some fans.

I think the message Geno is trying to send is accurate/fair. His method however, sucks.

Rookie
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

His message should be that ESPN is hyping something that should not be hyped.
    We do not celebrate D3 teams beating D1 records. Completely different game.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 45

Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    What is he standing up for? Is someone threatening to cut WBB scholarships? How has he or his sport been wronged? Does he also feel this way about every other NCAA sport that doesn't get equal media attention to MBB?
    You're missing his point. Why was the post-game presser packed? What's with all the reporters all of a sudden? He was mocking all of the media attention, and that most wouldn't care if they were just breaking a women's record.
    He was standing up for the sport, and pointing out the sexism at play here.