Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

How important is a true point guard?

I was listening to the radio here in KC and they had a sports writer on who was talking about an interview he did with Bill Self right after he got the KU job. Evidently, Self said that he preferred to have a lineup of 3 combo guards over a lineup that had a pure point guard.

This makes me feel better about next year since we'll be deep at guard but inexperienced at the point.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 113

Re: How important is a true point guard?

As long as one of them can defend a really good pure PG I agree that it may not be a big deal. Our goal is not to have a PG set up the offense. Our goal is to have options(players) to set up the attack before the defense is set. The more capable decision makers/ball handlers the better.

Mac needed a pure PG. Fred doesn't...I think.

Last edited by Cydkar; 12-20-2010 at 10:27 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 30

Guard play is a premium thing to have in the college game, not necessarily a true pg, but good solid guards who can guard and handle the ball.

Go Cyclones!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 577
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Three guards that can handle full court presses and defend half court basketball is huge.

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 606
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by OPButtrey View Post
    I was listening to the radio here in KC and they had a sports writer on who was talking about an interview he did with Bill Self right after he got the KU job. Evidently, Self said that he preferred to have a lineup of 3 combo guards over a lineup that had a pure point guard.

This makes me feel better about next year since we'll be deep at guard but inexperienced at the point.
    You should probably ask Roy (Cry Baby) Williams this question.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

In this offense? I would say not all that important. Look at our games this year. Frequently DG hasn't been the primary ballhandler at points and DG has taken FOURTY more shots then the next closest player on our team. Not exactly a distributor only.

Rookie
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

What is a true point guard? Is it a player who that is limited to managing a team?

You need to have at least one player that can do the responsibilities of a pg. If you can get two or three players that can do that and more, thus not having a designated pg, great.

Recruit
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by OPButtrey View Post

When you have the pick of the litter -like Bill Self- you can do what you want.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 977
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 10

I think the key is you need someone to initiate the action in our offense, not necessarily control the action the whole time. IMO, neither Scotty nor Babb are combo guards, Scotty is a pure 2, and Babb is a 2/3. Allen is a great player, but like others have said we would like to have more than one guy be able to handle the ball (in the starting lineup), so how McGee handles the transition will be huge for us.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 921
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 11

Some of the better NBA teams have run their offense through a point forward. In college, the hardest position to fill is a true SF who can pass, handle the ball, rebound, shoot, and defend outside as well as inside on occasion. The lack of this type of player is why so many coaches have moved to the 3 guard system.

Playing 3 guards usually includes at least 2 of them who can handle the ball well enough to break a press and run a break. The key is that at least one guy has to be able to initiate the offense and set teammates up in the half court - whether it be a PG, combo guard, or point forward.

Eric Musselman's Basketball Notebook: The benefits of a point-forward

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Some of the better NBA teams have run their offense through a point forward. In college, the hardest position to fill is a true SF who can pass, handle the ball, rebound, shoot, and defend outside as well as inside on occasion. The lack of this type of player is why so many coaches have moved to the 3 guard system.

Playing 3 guards usually includes at least 2 of them who can handle the ball well enough to break a press and run a break. The key is that at least one guy has to be able to initiate the offense and set teammates up in the half court - whether it be a PG, combo guard, or point forward.

Eric Musselman's Basketball Notebook: The benefits of a point-forward
    Yeah, because if they can do the above, they are now considered guards. SF is becoming is an antiquated position in college basketball. It is a guards game. SF now means tweener.

True centers are also very hard to find- teams get by without them.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 57

Effective PG play is very important. I'd say its definitely the most important position on the basketball court. The last time ISU had a truly great PG we won two-consecutive Big 12 championships and never lost a home game over the course of that PGs career.

However, you don't necessarily have to have a "true PG" to receive effective PG play. If you have two or three combo guards who do an effective job of running the offense than your PG play will be good, whether or not any are "true PGs".

Addict
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 728
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    As long as one of them can defend a really good pure PG I agree that it may not be a big deal. Our goal is not to have a PG set up the offense. Our goal is to have options(players) to set up the attack before the defense is set. The more capable decision makers/ball handlers the better.

Mac needed a pure PG. Fred doesn't...I think.
    Mac needed a lot of things. He'd have probably turned John Wall into Cully Payne.

Starter
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I think the key to guard play is flexibility. You need to do several things very well and anybody who is one dimensional hurts you. And for those of you who think that Scotty is one dimensional should look again because he is much more than just a shooter; he has a very good all around game. Now, Lucca was one dimensional ...

The other thing that helps when playing without a PG is experience. Next year Chris Allen will be a Red Shirt Senior. As will Scotty; 5th year in college. Babb will be a Red Shirt Junior. And McGee will be a Junior. They all have good size, are experienced, and can shoot the ball.

All the other guards have limitations. Odunsi is a combo, does not shoot it great and is a freshman. Sledge is a PG but is a freshman and lacks size. I actually like Bubu a lot and think "if we play with a true PG" he would be the leading candidate. But he doesn't have great size and not a lot of experience (his decision making isn't the best). I think he can overcome the size issue and the decision making will improve with experience. Not sold on his ability to shoot from outside but it may not be needed that much (DG has been successful while not having a great outside shot).

Frankly, I see Bubu playing point next year if we actually play with a PG. But with Allen, Babb, SC, and McGee I don't know that we even need a PG on the floor. One other thing is that Ejim could move to the SF and we only would have 2 guards playing; one could be a combo PG (Allen, McGee) with the other being a more traditional SG (SC, Babb). Ejim would play the 3 and White the 4. We could play with another 4 or have Railey play the 5.

You know what? We have lots of options next year and considering where we've been the last few years they all look pretty damn good to me ...

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rickybaby View Post
    I think the key to guard play is flexibility. You need to do several things very well and anybody who is one dimensional hurts you. And for those of you who think that Scotty is one dimensional should look again because he is much more than just a shooter; he has a very good all around game. Now, Lucca was one dimensional ...

The other thing that helps when playing without a PG is experience. Next year Chris Allen will be a Red Shirt Senior. As will Scotty; 5th year in college. Babb will be a Red Shirt Junior. And McGee will be a Junior. They all have good size, are experienced, and can shoot the ball.

All the other guards have limitations. Odunsi is a combo, does not shoot it great and is a freshman. Sledge is a PG but is a freshman and lacks size. I actually like Bubu a lot and think "if we play with a true PG" he would be the leading candidate. But he doesn't have great size and not a lot of experience (his decision making isn't the best). I think he can overcome the size issue and the decision making will improve with experience. Not sold on his ability to shoot from outside but it may not be needed that much (DG has been successful while not having a great outside shot).

Frankly, I see Bubu playing point next year if we actually play with a PG. But with Allen, Babb, SC, and McGee I don't know that we even need a PG on the floor. One other thing is that Ejim could move to the SF and we only would have 2 guards playing; one could be a combo PG (Allen, McGee) with the other being a more traditional SG (SC, Babb). Ejim would play the 3 and White the 4. We could play with another 4 or have Railey play the 5.

You know what? We have lots of options next year and considering where we've been the last few years they all look pretty damn good to me ...
    Odunsi is shooting the three roughly like DG this year (26/72) at 36%. I think he will surprise us next year.