Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,212
    Given: 133

Question about gray-shirting

I was just watching the OTL piece on over-signing recruits and the treatment they receive when trying to be pushed out of the program. Was really interesting and you see the lack of compassion that some of these coaches have towards players, whether they're new recruits or have been there for four years.

Anyway, they were talking about grayshirts and how they can wait until right before the season starts to do this. So if they wait and ask a kid to grayshirt at the last possible instance, how does that work with tuition and such? Wouldn't it have already been paid for by then? If not, would they be granted some sort of emergency enrollment for financial aid? Because I remember I had to apply in May for my aid in the fall. Or is the kid just flat out screwed?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 696
    Given: 69

Re: Question about gray-shirting

Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    I was just watching the OTL piece on over-signing recruits and the treatment they receive when trying to be pushed out of the program. Was really interesting and you see the lack of compassion that some of these coaches have towards players, whether they're new recruits or have been there for four years.

Anyway, they were talking about grayshirts and how they can wait until right before the season starts to do this. So if they wait and ask a kid to grayshirt at the last possible instance, how does that work with tuition and such? Wouldn't it have already been paid for by then? If not, would they be granted some sort of emergency enrollment for financial aid? Because I remember I had to apply in May for my aid in the fall. Or is the kid just flat out screwed?
    Ask Mike Marry, a LB recruited by the Cyclones who went to Ole Miss. Here is an old thread that discusses it. Ole Miss signed a ton of players. And then forced many into grayshirt status.

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/...ayshirt-3.html

Addict
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,212
    Given: 133

Yeah, I remember that vividly. Do you have Mike Marry's phone number so I can ask him?

For those who saw it, it was a really interesting piece. Talked about a four year player at Miami that started getting calls from DII schools to play for him. The coaches gave out his number to other schools and didn't even tell him that they were pulling his four year schollie for a freshman kid coming in that dropped USC late after the suspensions happened.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 696
    Given: 69

Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    Yeah, I remember that vividly. Do you have Mike Marry's phone number so I can ask him?

For those who saw it, it was a really interesting piece. Talked about a four year player at Miami that started getting calls from DII schools to play for him. The coaches gave out his number to other schools and didn't even tell him that they were pulling his four year schollie for a freshman kid coming in that dropped USC late after the suspensions happened.
    Yeah. Right.

Anyway, the way I understand it is that Mike Marry was kind of PO'd about the whole deal. But decided he really wanted to go to Ole Miss and took the grayshirt.

The SEC passed a rule because of the stockpiling that took place at schools like Ole Miss.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ing/index.html