Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 19

Thumbs down The apparent Unimportance of Message Boards...

Anyone else sick of the "media" saying how unimportant message boards are and that they are a bunch of crazies, and that they never read them.

This is the most over used term by coaches and media moguls now and I hate it and its a bold faced lie.

Arguements

1. Them- They are just a bunch of faceless say anythings because they dont post their name.
    ME- want my name PM me Ill tell you who I am and why I think that and more.

2. Them- Just a bunch of random crazies spouting junk.
    Me- Medias second most used term is 'where there smoke theres fire'. Welcome to the FIRE PIT BABY.

3. Them- I dont pay attention to the message boards or they hold no value.
    Me- Somehow everyone seems to know whats on these boards even though they shouldnt.

Im sick of them being 'holier than thou' attitude. Dont these guys know we are their main listeners and their main fans and they shouldn't shoot themselves in the foot (well some apparently dont on certain talk shows I dont listen to anymore). Or are they afraid that traditional media doesnt look the same anymore and they dont know how to deal with it?

DOES THIS BUG ANYONE ELSE?

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 864
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 11

Re: The apparent Unimportance of Message Boards...

Remember a few years back when certain media outlets had Brian Kelly as ISU's new coach? It was a message board that got that particular story correct.

So they should not be discounted just because, unless it's a talkeye board.

"The bass, the rock,
    The mic, the treble,
    I like my coffee black,
    Just like my metal."

Pro
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 19

I do understand that rumors fly. Who, at the time, would have thought that we would have landed Chizik? Social media, though is in important in the world to discount it is a joke. Im only a part of 2 message board (1 sports, 1 car) and I understand how important it is! We may get a lot wrong (has Terrel, Perault, or Patrick been right all the time and never went with a rumor?) but we get a lot right.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 948
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 45

Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    Anyone else sick of the "media" saying how unimportant message boards are and that they are a bunch of crazies, and that they never read them.

This is the most over used term by coaches and media moguls now and I hate it and its a bold faced lie.

Arguements

1. Them- They are just a bunch of faceless say anythings because they dont post their name.
    ME- want my name PM me Ill tell you who I am and why I think that and more.

2. Them- Just a bunch of random crazies spouting junk.
    Me- Medias second most used term is 'where there smoke theres fire'. Welcome to the FIRE PIT BABY.

3. Them- I dont pay attention to the message boards or they hold no value.
    Me- Somehow everyone seems to know whats on these boards even though they shouldnt.

Im sick of them being 'holier than thou' attitude. Dont these guys know we are their main listeners and their main fans and they shouldn't shoot themselves in the foot (well some apparently dont on certain talk shows I dont listen to anymore). Or are they afraid that traditional media doesnt look the same anymore and they dont know how to deal with it?

DOES THIS BUG ANYONE ELSE?
    What are you talking about? I've noticed the complete opposite. Its one of the prime references for their "research" for stories.

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

I agree there are some real whackos on message boards, but there's also a lot of good information that a lot of times is way out in front of the media.

And I GUARANTEE you people like Matt and Miller, Marty Terell, the morning guys (gotta be honest, haven't listened to a minute of their show and don't plan to), and Keith and Andy scan these message boards for show content.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,318
    Given: 125

They're right to a point, anyone can post anything on a message board, especially ones that aren't as well moderated as CF. But if you know what to look for you can get good information, probably much quicker than from the "media".

Legend
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 245

If they don't read message boards then why would a Head coach, Athletic director, and many other execs at a certain Iowa University call a press conference to squash rumors on a message board about the player on his team???
    So they are flat out lying when they act like message boards are nothing.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 467
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

You have to take message boards for what they are which usually is about 80% crap, rumors, and people that hide behind a name that don't always have the facts. There is some useful stuff but unless its coming from a reputable source which here is usually just CW and maybe a handful of people you take it for what it is which is message board fodder.

Go Cubs Go!

Pro
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,519
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 46

I think if the schools were smart they would hire an individual to watch and post on messageboards. The Coke-eye rumors could have easily been avoided if someone officially attatched to the EIU would have come out and stated the facts that no, 20 people were not kicked off the team. No parents would have been called by the media, no need for a press conference to address the situation.

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,655
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

The people who hate message boards are the people who have lost almost all the control they previously had on the flow of information. Simple selfish motives.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,278
    Given: 1,114

They're right to a point, like 3TrueFans said above, and they also have their own market to protect.

So, while they troll here for information, it's in their interests to decry the boards as a source of information, because they still have a need to be paid.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 140

Sure the boards are full of lots of misleading junk. But have you turned on ESPN or a radio? Everye show/segment is the equilvalent of a message board. You don't get facts anymore, just opinions spewed.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,278
    Given: 1,114

Quote Originally Posted by heitclone View Post
    Sure the boards are full of lots of misleading junk. But have you turned on ESPN or a radio? Everye show/segment is the equilvalent of a message board. You don't get facts anymore, just opinions spewed.
    Right, you don't. Just have to pick your spin and sift for facts from there.

I'm not sure the media has ever been different. Bias of one sort of another has always been there.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 27

When a message board "opinion" has to be held to the same scrutiny as a media host's "opinion", then I think that message boards will be able to be as viable a source of information as real media.

A lot of the time in this mileu, everything gets thrown against the wall to see what sticks...folks in here are never held to the same standards as journalists, radio hosts, etc...folks in here also have the added benefit of hiding behind an avatar and a screen name, whereas journalists/radio hosts/etc are wide out in the open for everyone to see....which is why part of me believes that a lot of you wouldn't have the stones to say face-to-face to some of your favorite targets in the local media the things that you spout off in the friendly confines of CycloneFanatic.com.

Does that mean this board serves no purpose? No, quite the contrary, it builds comradery, provides an outlet for fans to vent/celebrate/discuss events in Cyclone Nation, and on a personal level, gives me (and I'm sure others) a great way to procrastinate instead of doing menial office tasks until we are good and ready.

Wading through all of the sludge to get a nugget of truth is far more difficult than calling up a source and getting the job done quickly and easily...also, it's far more verifiable than an anonymous internet post.

Last edited by Tarbox; 12-17-2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: I forgot.
    Scientific > Heady

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 140

Quote Originally Posted by Tarbox View Post
    When a message board "opinion" has to be held to the same scrutiny as a media host's "opinion", then I think that message boards will be able to be as viable a source of information as real media.

A lot of the time in this mileu, everything gets thrown against the wall to see what sticks...folks in here are never held to the same standards as journalists, radio hosts, etc...folks in here also have the added benefit of hiding behind an avatar and a screen name, whereas journalists/radio hosts/etc are wide out in the open for everyone to see....which is why part of me believes that a lot of you wouldn't have the stones to say face-to-face to some of your favorite targets in the local media.

Does that mean this board serves no purpose? No, quite the contrary, it builds comradery, provides an outlet for fans to vent/celebrate/discuss events in Cyclone Nation, and on a personal level, gives me (and I'm sure others) a great way to procrastinate instead of doing menial office tasks until we are good and ready.

Wading through all of the sludge to get a nugget of truth is far more difficult than calling up a source and getting the job done quickly and easily...also, it's far more verifiable than an anonymous internet post.
    The thing is, that I dont think the media is scrutinized nearly enough. Theres nothing to keep most of these guys in check and they get an attitude of invincibility so to speak. Take a guy like Perrault. He's an east coast guy, who then spent time in Alabama. Neither of those places gives him any insight as to the climate and culture of sports in Iowa or Nebraska. And he knew very little about even nationally known programs here, yet he came in guns blazing telling people the way things were. I'm not singleing him out, just using him as an example. You never here those guys say "In my opinion" they just preach like their word is fact because they are on the radio/TV so they must be right. And they have no reason to care whether they are right or wrong because they are being heard and are in a postion thats is supposed to be a source of information. The even sadder part is that mindless sports fans take anything they hear on ESPN as the gospel. At least with message boards theres always going to be someone who calls your BS.