Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 21

Question Hiring away of McCarney Vs Rhoads

I came to the Ia State scene late in McCarney's tenure, in fact I will be the 1st to admit that I was one that wanted him to go so we could hire a "better" coach.

Well, finally, we are at least back to Dan's level.

Ok what I want to know is did other schools show as much interest in McCarney as they are in Rhoads? I don't remember them showing as much but I didn't pay this much attention to sports then either. It seems like they didn't since he went S Fl to be an assistant.

Oh and I want to take this opportunity to say Rhoads should be jealous of Dan because he will have an easier time finding recruits in N Tx. Good for you Dan re-earning your spot.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 3

Re: Hiring away of McCarney Vs Rhoads

Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    I came to the Ia State scene late in McCarney's tenure, in fact I will be the 1st to admit that I was one that wanted him to go so we could hire a "better" coach.

Ok what I want to know is did other schools show as much interest in McCarney as they are in Rhoads? I don't remember them showing as much but I didn't pay this much attention to sports then either. It seems like they didn't since he went S Fl to be an assistant.

Oh and I want to take this opportunity to say Rhoads should be jealous of Dan because he will have an easier time finding recruits in N Tx. Good for you Dan re-earning your spot.

I guess I'm having some problems with the question. Which schools are after Rhoads? I know he was on the Pitt radar for at least a day, but you said schools, as in, more than 1.

I don't remember McCarney ever being on the radar of another school.

All-Star
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneYoda View Post
    I don't remember McCarney ever being on the radar of another school.
    He was rumored to have interviewed for the TCU job when Patterson got it. At the time, that seemed like a lateral move, at best...

Pro
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by dunar View Post
    He was rumored to have interviewed for the TCU job when Patterson got it. At the time, that seemed like a lateral move, at best...
    Sounds eerily familiar....

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 165
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 23

McCarney was a relatively hot name after the 2000(?) season, whichever season we won 9 games, including the Insight Bowl. Seems like his name was mentioned for a few jobs, including Notre Dame. That made me pretty nervous at the time.

I am a patient boy. I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait...
    http://www.mapcon.com/US-EN/CMMS-Software

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by flynnhicks03 View Post
    McCarney was a relatively hot name after the 2000(?) season, whichever season we won 9 games, including the Insight Bowl. Seems like his name was mentioned for a few jobs, including Notre Dame. That made me pretty nervous at the time.

He had the world at his fingertips for a brief moment...and blew it.

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 3

I still don't know what other schools are after CPR. Can anybody name one outside of Pitt flirting with the idea for a day? Thanks.

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

Who else wanted CPR this year? He was DC at Pitt for 6-7 years, so naturally his name was going to come up as a possible replacement. But who else?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 621
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneYoda View Post
    I still don't know what other schools are after CPR. Can anybody name one outside of Pitt flirting with the idea for a day? Thanks.
    Funny thing is we don't even know if Rhoads was contacted about the Pitt job. All we have are blogs that made him a candidate because he was a DC at Pitt at one time. At the time Pitt would have been holding interviews, Rhoads was hosting recruits and making visits.

In the end, it doesn't matter. Rhoads will not make a lateral move for similar money. Rhoads will not make a lateral move because he wants to stay close to his dad and ailing mom. Rhoads will not make a lateral move because he doesn't want to move his family again. Big name schools are not going tocome calling until he has consistent success. By success, I mean bowl games.

In short, Rhoads is here for at least two years.

Last edited by tazclone; 12-17-2010 at 07:55 AM.
    "Not at the table Carlos."

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 149

I'm not aware that anyone has shown confirmed interest in hiring Rhoads away.

As someone else mentioned, McCarney was one of the top candidates at TCU a few years back. In fact, I can't remember if it was our AD at the time or the university president who said something in the paper like,"When I woke up that morning I was sure we'd lost our football coach."

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The main difference between Rhoads and Mac is that Rhoads would have taken us to two Big 12 Championship games and Mac (because of his conservative coaching style) couldn't. Rhoads is a much more dynamic gameday coach, in my opinion. You don't always know what's coming or what he's going to do. I love the fake extra point against NU and the onside kicks and the fake punts. Potential suitors probably like that as well. Mac helped build up our program, but we're better off today with Rhoads as our head coach.

Legend
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 575
    Given: 1,179

The thing with Mac is that, while he has some success here, it took several years for him to rebuild the program first. If he had had a season like 2000 in his first 3 or 4 seasons at ISU he would have been a much hotter name. I think a lot of schools discount the good years he had because of his overall poor record (just like some negative nancys on this board).

Mac did pretty good things with less than stellar talent. He also underachieved once his talent improved and did not win the big games he needed to.

So far, CPR has led the team in a big turnaround in a short time (5-19 to 7-6 in one year). His teams have also won some big games that McCarney coached teams probably would have lost at the end (NU/Texas). CPR is young and passionate and has received raving reviews from recruits, players, and the media for his passion. These are qualities that will get schools looking at him in a few years with contiinued success. Most of these are qualities that Dmac did not have. His success came after early struggles and he had a reputation for being overly conservative and inding ways to lose.

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,498
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 46

Quote Originally Posted by tazclone View Post
    Funny thing is we don't even know if Rhoads was contacted about the Pitt job. All we have are blogs that made him a candidate because he was a DC at Pitt at one time. At the time Pitt would have been holding interviews, Rhoads was hosting recruits and making visits.

In the end, it doesn't matter. Rhoads will not make a lateral move for similar money. Rhoads will not make a lateral move because he wants to stay close to his dad and ailing mom. Rhoads will not make a lateral move because he doesn't want to move his family again. Big name schools are not going tocome calling until he has consistent success. By success, I mean bowl games.

In short, Rhoads is here for at least two years.
    Wow, you must have some sort of psychic abilities to be able to predict that.

Starter
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JJ4ISU View Post
    The main difference between Rhoads and Mac is that Rhoads would have taken us to two Big 12 Championship games and Mac (because of his conservative coaching style) couldn't. Rhoads is a much more dynamic gameday coach, in my opinion. You don't always know what's coming or what he's going to do. I love the fake extra point against NU and the onside kicks and the fake punts. Potential suitors probably like that as well. Mac helped build up our program, but we're better off today with Rhoads as our head coach.
    "No doubt about it"

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 74

I think Mac was in talk for the Mich State job at one time also. This program is in better shape now that it was when Mac left. Mac and staff were having problems getting athletes to Ames late in his tenure. They had a few classes that turned out to be total busts and Mac was having a hard to keeping control of his team.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne