Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 119,010, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    simply1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,228
    Points
    119,010
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

    West Des Moines - No Speed Cameras

    No speed cameras for West Des Moines, councilmen say | Des Moines Register Staff Blogs

    Don’t expect speed cameras in West Des Moines.

    City councilmen Charles Schneider and Russ Trimble said they have no interest in speed cameras — or red-light cameras, for that matter — to help police enforce traffic laws in West Des Moines.

    “We were opposed to it,” Schneider said.

    The Des Moines city council voted this summer to hire a company to install cameras on Interstate Highway 235 and at some stoplight intersections. The company is Gatso USA, the same firm that operates enforcement cameras in Cedar Rapids, which has issued more than $1 million in civil fines since March, mostly for speeding on Interstate Highway 380 through the center of town.

    West Des Moines Police Chief Jack O’Donnell presented cameras as an option at a recent public safety subcommittee meeting. Schneider gave three reasons Monday for his opposition to the idea.

    “It’s a due process issue,” said Schneider, a lawyer. “The person who is issued the citation isn’t necessarily the person driving the car at the time.”

    He also believes data showing traffic cameras improve public safety is “pretty sketchy,” and too many residents perceive the cameras primarily as revenue generators.

    Finally, “I think it’s just too much government interference right now,” Schneider said.


    I don't do signatures. Blondes, brunettes, and red heads are a different story.

  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 40,215, Level: 61
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CyLoboClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    2,423
    Points
    40,215
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 2

    Re: West Des Moines - No Speed Cameras

    they are crap. but think about this- in Germany, they have video cam traps on the a****ahn that record how close you tailgate, and if you get nabbed, depending how fast and how close you are, they fine you a % of your net worth. So a fine isnt capped at, say, $200- how does $10,000 taste?



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 20,710, Level: 43
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    Points
    20,710
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: West Des Moines - No Speed Cameras

    Clive red light tickets are now $100 bucks each...no wonder clive is putting up more


    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill

  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 66,195, Level: 79
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 255
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SE WI
    Posts
    4,870
    Points
    66,195
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: West Des Moines - No Speed Cameras

    You can't say u-t-o-b? Is there a technical reason like s-c-r-i-p-t? Or is it something vulgar I'm not familiar with?



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 119,010, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    simply1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,228
    Points
    119,010
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

    Re: West Des Moines - No Speed Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    You can't say u-t-o-b? Is there a technical reason like s-c-r-i-p-t? Or is it something vulgar I'm not familiar with?
    lol, weirdness there.


    I don't do signatures. Blondes, brunettes, and red heads are a different story.

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 717,821, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    45,689
    Points
    717,821
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 467
    Given: 245

    Re: West Des Moines - No Speed Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
    No speed cameras for West Des Moines, councilmen say | Des Moines Register Staff Blogs

    Don’t expect speed cameras in West Des Moines.

    City councilmen Charles Schneider and Russ Trimble said they have no interest in speed cameras — or red-light cameras, for that matter — to help police enforce traffic laws in West Des Moines.

    “We were opposed to it,” Schneider said.

    The Des Moines city council voted this summer to hire a company to install cameras on Interstate Highway 235 and at some stoplight intersections. The company is Gatso USA, the same firm that operates enforcement cameras in Cedar Rapids, which has issued more than $1 million in civil fines since March, mostly for speeding on Interstate Highway 380 through the center of town.

    West Des Moines Police Chief Jack O’Donnell presented cameras as an option at a recent public safety subcommittee meeting. Schneider gave three reasons Monday for his opposition to the idea.

    “It’s a due process issue,” said Schneider, a lawyer. “The person who is issued the citation isn’t necessarily the person driving the car at the time.”

    He also believes data showing traffic cameras improve public safety is “pretty sketchy,” and too many residents perceive the cameras primarily as revenue generators.

    Finally, “I think it’s just too much government interference right now,” Schneider said.
    I agree with that 100%



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 401,236, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    20,843
    Points
    401,236
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 41

    Re: West Des Moines - No Speed Cameras




  8. #8
    Recruit
    Points: 3,384, Level: 16
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    112
    Points
    3,384
    Level
    16
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: West Des Moines - No Speed Cameras

    If they use this.

    Swedish Speed-Camera Pays Drivers to Slow Down | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

    I bet almost everyone would like it.....



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 40,215, Level: 61
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CyLoboClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    2,423
    Points
    40,215
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 2

    Re: West Des Moines - No Speed Cameras

    ^^^^^haha, except for city coffers!



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 214,085, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,959
    Points
    214,085
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 49

    Re: West Des Moines - No Speed Cameras

    The great part is they keep trying to sell us on public safety as the reasons instead of a money generator. I might even be o.k. with it if they just came out and said we need more money and this helps us generate that. It has nothing and I mean nothing to do with public safety. I think they are ******* everyone off by claiming that.


    Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 214,085, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,959
    Points
    214,085
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 49

    Re: West Des Moines - No Speed Cameras

    Here is an article by some guy that reviewed all of the studys including one from Iowa State University. He basically breaks it down to it stops some accidents but causes others.

    Do Red Light Cameras Reduce Accidents?


    Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 80,727, Level: 88
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,223
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,616
    Points
    80,727
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 0

    Re: West Des Moines - No Speed Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
    No speed cameras for West Des Moines, councilmen say | Des Moines Register Staff Blogs

    Don’t expect speed cameras in West Des Moines.

    City councilmen Charles Schneider and Russ Trimble said they have no interest in speed cameras — or red-light cameras, for that matter — to help police enforce traffic laws in West Des Moines.

    “We were opposed to it,” Schneider said.

    The Des Moines city council voted this summer to hire a company to install cameras on Interstate Highway 235 and at some stoplight intersections. The company is Gatso USA, the same firm that operates enforcement cameras in Cedar Rapids, which has issued more than $1 million in civil fines since March, mostly for speeding on Interstate Highway 380 through the center of town.

    West Des Moines Police Chief Jack O’Donnell presented cameras as an option at a recent public safety subcommittee meeting. Schneider gave three reasons Monday for his opposition to the idea.

    “It’s a due process issue,” said Schneider, a lawyer. “The person who is issued the citation isn’t necessarily the person driving the car at the time.”

    He also believes data showing traffic cameras improve public safety is “pretty sketchy,” and too many residents perceive the cameras primarily as revenue generators.

    Finally, “I think it’s just too much government interference right now,” Schneider said.
    Wow. Note to self, invest in Gatso USA. I don't know what their cut is on that, but I'm sure that they are not hurting. Considering how fast people drive on I235, this should be another money making opportunity. Oops, I mean way to help increase safety on the roads.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 64,809, Level: 78
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    3,939
    Points
    64,809
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 101

    Re: West Des Moines - No Speed Cameras

    I guess the government officials in WDM don't care much about the safety of its citizens because that is ALL we hear about the red light/speed cameras from Cedar Rapids officials. Not once has a local official stated that the revenue stream is a reason why they exist in CR...it is all about safety! Yeah right!



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 42,292, Level: 63
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 658
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    JY07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,137
    Points
    42,292
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 5

    Re: West Des Moines - No Speed Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfanatic View Post
    I guess the government officials in WDM don't care much about the safety of its citizens because that is ALL we hear about the red light/speed cameras from Cedar Rapids officials. Not once has a local official stated that the revenue stream is a reason why they exist in CR...it is all about safety! Yeah right!
    If it's all about safety, they should have no problem donating those fees to a local charity; someone there should bring that up



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM