Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 64
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 25,450, Level: 48
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    HuddleUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    613
    Points
    25,450
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Gottlieb comments on Tinsley

    Doug Gottlieb on the radio here in KC today. He mentioned how good LE was at getting Tinsley open looks in their offense. Gottlieb said Tinsley couldn't shoot unless he was coming off screens or posting up his guy and rolling out for mid range jumpers. From what I remember, he was kind of streaky but he could shoot the three. Anyway, I recall him being a decent shooter... better than Gottlieb was saying. Gottlieb did say Tinsley had a sick handle and he was huge, making it impossible to turn him over.

    I ran into him and Kantrail Horton at Crown Center during the Big 12 tournament. I was surprised at how tall Tinsley was. I'm 6'1 and he was a good 2-3 inches taller than me with long arms. His wingspan had to be 6'5 or better. Horton was built like a truck. Still hard to believe Tinsley didn't have more success in the NBA.



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 36,764, Level: 59
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,086
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cycloneman003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    3,027
    Points
    36,764
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 6

    Re: Gottlieb comments on Tinsley

    tinsley had a very flat jump shot.. wasnt a consistent shooter at all, but didnt need to be. he was just unstoppable at getting to the rim.


    ALL IN

  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 100,726, Level: 98
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYdTracked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    9,223
    Points
    100,726
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 205
    Given: 634

    Re: Gottlieb comments on Tinsley

    Tinsley's NBA career mostly got derailed by his off-court stuff. He was a streaky shooter in college, I wouldn't call him that good of a shooter really. His game was mostly driving to the basket and playing tough defense while making some unbelievable passes sometimes.

    http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/pla...jamaal-tinsley

    I remember Larry saying he was going to have to wait till JT left so he could get his son to stop emulating Tinsley's no knee bending style of shooting free throws too.


    Go Cubs Go!

  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 353,927, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    20,595
    Points
    353,927
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,289
    Given: 171

    Re: Gottlieb comments on Tinsley

    Yeah, he was a mediocre shooter. I seem to remember him being pretty streaky but it didn't matter because he could get to the hole.


    It's all snark from here on out

  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 87,184, Level: 91
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 266
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,758
    Points
    87,184
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 429
    Given: 0

    Re: Gottlieb comments on Tinsley

    Tinsley had shooters around him. His driving and ball handling created shots for them. There was really no reason for him to shoot (although I don't remember him being very good at it either).



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 78,671, Level: 87
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,479
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    6,790
    Points
    78,671
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 766
    Given: 154

    Re: Gottlieb comments on Tinsley

    Quote Originally Posted by HuddleUp View Post
    Doug Gottlieb on the radio here in KC today. He mentioned how good LE was at getting Tinsley open looks in their offense. Gottlieb said Tinsley couldn't shoot unless he was coming off screens or posting up his guy and rolling out for mid range jumpers. From what I remember, he was kind of streaky but he could shoot the three. Anyway, I recall him being a decent shooter... better than Gottlieb was saying. Gottlieb did say Tinsley had a sick handle and he was huge, making it impossible to turn him over.

    I ran into him and Kantrail Horton at Crown Center during the Big 12 tournament. I was surprised at how tall Tinsley was. I'm 6'1 and he was a good 2-3 inches taller than me with long arms. His wingspan had to be 6'5 or better. Horton was built like a truck. Still hard to believe Tinsley didn't have more success in the NBA.
    Depends on how you define success. He was pretty financially successful, even getting paid just to stay away from the team for one year. I never got the feeling Tinsley really cared that much about improving his game. He was one of the best point guards to ever come through the B12 though.



  7. #7
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Gottlieb comments on Tinsley

    Who cares. Lets stop the fizer/tinsley talk. They were good. But not as good as white and allen



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 41,041, Level: 62
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 609
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Cyhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    3,106
    Points
    41,041
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 141
    Given: 11

    Re: Gottlieb comments on Tinsley

    Tinsley wasnt a great shooter by any stretch. Decent shooter at best.
    But he was a wizard at ball-handling and passing. I dont watch every college game, but I never ever see anyone in college doing the things he did with the ball.
    A lot of the reason Fizer had monster numbers was because he had Jamaal Tinsley running the Point.


    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man"

  9. #9
    Chile Mac is Back!
    Points: 348,226, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    LindenCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    26,763
    Points
    348,226
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,279
    Given: 6,118

    Re: Gottlieb comments on Tinsley

    Quote Originally Posted by CyJack13 View Post
    Depends on how you define success. He was pretty financially successful, even getting paid just to stay away from the team for one year. I never got the feeling Tinsley really cared that much about improving his game. He was one of the best point guards to ever come through the B12 though.
    I think he had a solid NBA career. One of the best NBA careers to come out of ISU at least. Injuries and off court really kept it from being more.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 123,445, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    8,388
    Points
    123,445
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    Given: 399

    Re: Gottlieb comments on Tinsley

    Quote Originally Posted by CYdTracked View Post
    Tinsley's NBA career mostly got derailed by his off-court stuff.
    That's a delicate way to put it...



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 42,476, Level: 63
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 474
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclonefreak5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,237
    Points
    42,476
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 21

    Re: Gottlieb comments on Tinsley

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyhart View Post
    Tinsley wasnt a great shooter by any stretch. Decent shooter at best.
    But he was a wizard at ball-handling and passing. I dont watch every college game, but I never ever see anyone in college doing the things he did with the ball.
    A lot of the reason Fizer had monster numbers was because he had Jamaal Tinsley running the Point.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 45,759, Level: 66
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,191
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    RandomFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,035
    Points
    45,759
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 7

    Re: Gottlieb comments on Tinsley

    JT really improved his 3pt shooting from his Jr. to Sr. year. He went from 24% to 38% (which is certainly respectable). Otherwise he was an unimpressive shooter. Despite that fact, he is still the best PG we've ever had.



  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 176,808, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    The_Architect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Focus Town
    Posts
    12,304
    Points
    176,808
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 737
    Given: 3,124

    Re: Gottlieb comments on Tinsley

    Quote Originally Posted by isubballisback View Post
    Who cares. Lets stop the fizer/tinsley talk. They were good. But not as good as white and allen
    Wow.


    Kansas wears Adidas.

  14. #14
    Starter
    Points: 25,450, Level: 48
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    HuddleUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    613
    Points
    25,450
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Gottlieb comments on Tinsley

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyhart View Post
    Tinsley wasnt a great shooter by any stretch. Decent shooter at best.
    But he was a wizard at ball-handling and passing. I dont watch every college game, but I never ever see anyone in college doing the things he did with the ball.
    A lot of the reason Fizer had monster numbers was because he had Jamaal Tinsley running the Point.
    Rondo's game reminds me of Tinsley. Now Rondo is an all star so different levels of course. Same acrobatic passing and get to the rim ability. Incredible defenders. Makes you wonder what Tinsley could have done on this Celtic's team. Oh well... slow day at the office.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 279,302, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cydkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    17,562
    Points
    279,302
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,729
    Given: 1,503

    Re: Gottlieb comments on Tinsley

    JT made 5 threes against OU at Hilton. That being said, he wasn't a shooter by any stretch. The ball was a yo-yo in his hands.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.TV
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • September 5, 2015
  • 07:00 PM