Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 9

Weekend in New York (Very Long)

So, I was meaning to get this out while I was in the Airport but unfortunately there were some technical difficulties that prevented that Sunday night… Anyhow, had an awesome little trip to New York the past weekend… Found out Thursday night around 9:30 pm Thursday night that my little brother was going to be making his major league debut Saturday night in Shea against the New York Mets… So we scrambled to get plane tickets out as well as hotel accommodations for about 26 friends and family… After shopping Des Moines $995-each, Kansas City $700-each, Omaha $600-each, and Minneapolis $750-each we found tickets out of Cedar Rapids of all places for $325 each… Ended up staying at the Best Western just off Broadway on W 48th St, right in the middle of the action… Got in around 3 pm to Newark, took the train into Manhattan and just kind of bummed around there for the rest of the day before getting ready to go out…

Saturday night went to visit my brother at the Hilton, the game was just getting over (he didn’t go) and he had no idea what was going on, no idea how he was getting to the ball park, where to go, what to do during the day or anything… He was also visibly nervous… Doesn’t help that he isn’t a fan of big cities… He said he walked downstairs to try and find something to eat but got fed up with the crowds and decided to opt for a $25 hamburger and $7 coke from room service…

After visiting with him and giving him some last minute big brother advice we decided to go do some bar hopping… Stopped at a few pretty cool bars before ending up at pretty cool little Irish bar right by our hotel… They had an Irish band and a great late night appetizer menu… Some other family joined as they got into town and we called it a night around 3…

Saturday morning it didn’t take long for the family to get a little straining on the patience so my fiancé and I decided to join a cousin and a couple of his friends on a walk through town… We headed down Broadway, checked out Macy’s, Empire State Building, the Flat Iron Building, SoHo, China Town, and Little Italy… Found a great little restraint in Little Italy with the best Veal Parmesean I have ever had… There was also some great free entertainment in the form of some older Italian men that looked straight out of central casting for the Sopranos. We are talking loud, hair slicked back, pants hiked up, pinky rings, you name it… Not to mention they either knew or pretended to know everyone… Anyhoo, after a late lunch my cousin and friends headed down to the financial district and we headed back to the hotel to get ready for the game… On the way back we tried to find some Washington Nationals gear for people to wear to the game, unfortunately it was nowhere to be found… In fact you couldn’t get ANY team gear except the Yankees with a tad bit of Mets, Jets, and Giants gear... No college gear and certainly no other pro teams…

So that leads us to game time… We hopped on the 7 train a bit early to get there in time to see Joel warm up and just take it all in… During pre game they had some ‘Pro’ steroid users, I mean slow pitch softball players having a home run derby. That was amazing, they were launching the balls 450+ feet with ease, hitting a few into the new Stadium… I do have to say that New Yorkers definitely get a bad rap, I didn’t encounter any rude people and the fans on the train and at the stadium were awesome… A few of us were in the family section right behind home plate, from my seats I could see Alyssa Milano, Kevin James, and John Travolta… The rest were back behind the third base dugout with some season ticket holders… The caught some flack early but by the third inning had a lot of Mets fans cheering for little bro… The game started great, the first inning went fast so Joel got right out there, started with a ball to Reyes and ended up striking him out on a 95mph fastball up and in… He walked Gotay then got Wright and Delgado out to end the inning… I think everyone in the stadium could see the huge sigh of relief he gave right after getting Delgado to ground out… The real excitement started in the third inning when he came up to bat and laced a triple into left center, you could see the players and even umpires laughing as he slid into third with his first Major league hit… Joel cruised through 4 1/3 without giving up a hit before Wright connected on a single… All continued well into the 6th when Gotay started a 2 out rally with a single, Wright doubled, then with a base open Delgado hit an opposite field homerun on a pitch about 6 inches off the outside corner… Joel struck out Alou on three pitches after that to end the inning… Afterwards he was asked why he didn’t pitch around Delgado with the base open and Alou on deck (who he had made look bad all night). He said he was so focused on each individual hitter he didn’t even notice who was on deck or the situation (maybe the veteran catcher or coaches should have pointed that out earlier)… Anyhow, the game was awesome, he didn’t get a win but did record a quality Start… there are some great highlights here The Official Site of The Washington Nationals: Team: Player Information : Multimedia

After the game we waited in the tunnel, got to see players like Dimitri Young, Ronnie Belliard, and Chad Cordero… Joel opted not to take the bus and took the 7 into town with us… We partied up in the Suite, cheering every time the ESPN scroll had his name and with all the highlights… Sportscenter had a less than flattering highlight package but Baseball Tonight was great…

All in all it was an amazing trip… I wish I would have had more time to see the sights… I don’t even know if a week would have been enough time… I will add some pics on here later, maybe tomorrow… Can’t wait to see his next start, Saturday against Pujols and the Cardinals… Unfortunately I won’t get to see it in person…

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 83

Re: Weekend in New York (Very Long)

Too many words. I will wait for the movie.

Just kidding, sounds like you had a good time. I would like to go there at some point.

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

You had me at Alyssa Milano!!

But why did it take so long ot get to this??

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 548
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Count me as jealous. I'm a huge Mets fan, and I don't see how I'm going to get to Shea before it's a parking lot.

Legend
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by psycln11 View Post
    You had me at Alyssa Milano!!

But why did it take so long ot get to this??
    I was going to post Sunday night but the site was down... Had alot of catching up to do at work since I missed Friday with such short notice as well as some other things at home...

Addict
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Great story! Congrats to your brother for making it to the big leagues. :)

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Starter
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Sweet, I can now say I played high school baseball against a Major Leaguer. I don't think I ever got to face him, but I remember him mowing my team down my junior year when I didn't play much.

Best wishes to Joel and I hope he gets to stay up in the bigs for a while.

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 44

We hopped on the 7 train
    did you see john rocker on the train

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    I was going to post Sunday night but the site was down... Had alot of catching up to do at work since I missed Friday with such short notice as well as some other things at home...
    I meant in your original post!! I had to read a novella before even hearing mention of Alyssa!!

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

Rookie
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Great story just wish my beloved Mets had won the game. Btw Whitey as a life long Mets fan i finally made the trip to Shea last year and its nothing to brag about. Wait til '09 when Citi Field is ready ill definately be there for that!

Cyclone State Now & Forever

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Congrats to your brother...it takes both a lot of talent and a lot of hard work to make it to the show!

We were in Cooperstown last weekend and were in NYC this week...had great seats from a relative that is the trainer for the Yankees and saw the 8 home run game on Tuesday night...everybody but A-Rod hit one!

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.