Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 96

Christy Johnson-Lynch to Minnesota?

Minnesota coaching legend Mike Hebert retired Friday, and the two names being brought up to to succeed him are Ohio State's Geoff Carlston and ISU's CJL.
    Minny is simply a plumb national VB job - tremendous tradition, great VB arena, very large fan base, strong state for recruiting.
    I hope this past year hasn't discouraged Christy on the future potential here.

Prospect
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Christy Johnson-Lynch to Minnesota?

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Minnesota coaching legend Mike Hebert retired Friday, and the two names being brought up to to succeed him are Ohio State's Geoff Carlston and ISU's CJL.
    Minny is simply a plumb national VB job - tremendous tradition, great VB arena, very large fan base, strong state for recruiting.
    ISU is graduating two all-Americans. They were down this year due to the graduation a year ago of the setter, but the setter is back. Losing Ashley Mass at libero will be a tough one to deal with next year. I see big thing in 2012 and a little more rebuilding in 2011. With CJL around, 2012 could be a final four year.

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

I've got to think Christy will have more fulfillment in her professional career by creating her own tradition here. She's well on the way. She's had a great run until this year, and without the injury, we might still be playing. She's got too much in the program to leave right now, I would think. Good recruiting classes, good redshirts. Seems like we can recruit from these surrounding states pretty well, especially bordering Nebraska. There's another new family member, and hopefully, they like Ames. I don't know, would hate to lose her though.

With Nebby leaving the conference, why would you want to move to a conference where it would seemingly be harder to win conference titles (NU, PSU)? Stay in Ames, you get to compete with Texas, that may be it. Plus, I think the Big XII will get back to 12 schools in the future.

You were right on your Cal prediction. Seems like playing at home matters, huh (see UT, PSU)? Should be able to get some tickets from NU fans in KC. But, they like volleyball enough to show up anyway. I'm torn. I don't want to see UT do well, because they recruit against us, and I can do without PSU winning again. Hate the Big 11. Might pull for the PAC-10.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 232
    Given: 295

What does her husband do. Is she the breadwinner in the family? Is she even married.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

All-Star
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 567
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 13

Her husband is one of the assistant volleyball coaches at ISU. This is his 6th year and his second as a volunteer coach.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

She is compensated well here and I think that she would really only leave for Nebraska (her alma mater) or Wisconsin (her husband's). It's nice to know that we had a "down" year that still involved making the NCAAs. There is a lot of potential still untapped in this program and by all accounts she is pretty happy here.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Sobchakcyclone View Post
    I've got to think Christy will have more fulfillment in her professional career by creating her own tradition here. She's well on the way. She's had a great run until this year, and without the injury, we might still be playing. She's got too much in the program to leave right now, I would think. Good recruiting classes, good redshirts. Seems like we can recruit from these surrounding states pretty well, especially bordering Nebraska. There's another new family member, and hopefully, they like Ames. I don't know, would hate to lose her though.

You were right on your Cal prediction. Seems like playing at home matters, huh (see UT, PSU)? Should be able to get some tickets from NU fans in KC. But, they like volleyball enough to show up anyway. I'm torn. I don't want to see UT do well, because they recruit against us, and I can do without PSU winning again. Hate the Big 11. Might pull for the PAC-10.
    Oh, I'm sure the Minn job is Carslton's if he wants it - Minn alum and native, used to be on the staff, his wife is from there. etc.
    I also think the Cal/USC semi is really the national title match. Both tremendous teams.

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,987
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Screw Minnesota. ISU is her home now.

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

Oh, I'm sure the Minn job is Carslton's if he wants it - Minn alum and native, used to be on the staff, his wife is from there. etc.
    I also think the Cal/USC semi is really the national title match. Both tremendous teams.
    They have so many resources at tOSU. It'll be interesting, can't put a price on going home.

I was surprised at how young USC is, they play 3 freshmen sometimes.

I do hope UT beats PSU.

Last edited by Sobchakcyclone; 12-16-2010 at 09:48 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 174
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

Apparently still open - this item appeared in the Lincoln JournalStar this AM.

-- More than a month after coach Mike Hebert announced his retirement, NCAA Sweet 16 qualifier Minnesota is still without a replacement. Reports have linked U.S. National Team coach Hugh McCutcheon to the position, but his tenure likely couldn't begin until after the 2012 Olympics.
    I have no other information, but, they could go with an interim for a year - could lose a year of recruiting.

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BenEClone View Post
    Apparently still open - this item appeared in the Lincoln JournalStar this AM.

-- More than a month after coach Mike Hebert announced his retirement, NCAA Sweet 16 qualifier Minnesota is still without a replacement. Reports have linked U.S. National Team coach Hugh McCutcheon to the position, but his tenure likely couldn't begin until after the 2012 Olympics.
    I have no other information, but, they could go with an interim for a year - could lose a year of recruiting.
    Word on the street is that Minnesota interviewed Christy, and offered her the job. She said no thanks. A while later, they came back to her and sweetened the deal. She turned it down again.

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 481
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Word on the street is that Minnesota interviewed Christy, and offered her the job. She said no thanks. A while later, they came back to her and sweetened the deal. She turned it down again.
    Sick. Way to go Christy. That is so refreshing if true.

Hilton Coliseum was specifically built to hold in sound with a solid concrete structure, steel doors, and a crowd that sits just a few feet from the court. With a fan base that frequently ranks among the nations largest crowds, players from opposing teams, as well as Iowa State, have said that the floor has shaken due to the loudness of the crowd

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 474
    Given: 423

cool stuff if true.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ty4cy90 View Post
    Sick. Way to go Christy. That is so refreshing if true.
    My source was a friend who is a big Minnesota VB booster. Also, here's a post on volleytalk.com passing along the same thing:

Re: And the next Minnesota coach is ...
    « Reply #569 on Jan 24, 2011, 7:15am » The delay has been all about Hugh. Things I do know as fact are they initially talked to Hugh late fall. They went to Christy Johnson twice who said no thanks. I know of one other female candidate that was contacted. They went back to Hugh who struggled with decision.
    Hugh has been beyond close to taking job. I don't know if is still considering or turned it down.

Prospect
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 485
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Christy and Joe just completed building a new home in Ames last summer. They also just had a new baby in mid January. I can't see her leaving Iowa State for a while unless NEB comes calling.

My source was a friend who is a big Minnesota VB booster. Also, here's a post on volleytalk.com passing along the same thing:

Re: And the next Minnesota coach is ...
    « Reply #569 on Jan 24, 2011, 7:15am » The delay has been all about Hugh. Things I do know as fact are they initially talked to Hugh late fall. They went to Christy Johnson twice who said no thanks. I know of one other female candidate that was contacted. They went back to Hugh who struggled with decision.

Hugh has been beyond close to taking job. I don't know if is still considering or turned it down.

If Iowa plays Iraq I wear a turbin to the game!