Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 6

Scout

I dont know if anyone else around here looks at scout.com, but I noticed that we have a few extra 3 star recruits than we did a few weeks ago. Funny thing is though they were guys who had already committed to us a while ago; RB Rob Standard and TE Ernst Brun. Anyone know why these guys have all of sudden become 3 star recruits? Maybe this is a dumb question and happens all the time with scout but I'm just curious as to why this is?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 420
    Given: 301

Re: Scout

The universe has a limited number of stars. When the Sooners and others sveltes grab as many stars as they can, the rest of the schools are then allotted their share. We happened to pick up some of those spare stars that Bob Stoops did not claim. Usually we get a few spare stars at the end of recruiting season just to be nice to us.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Legend
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 132
    Given: 524

Well, their scouting report on Brun wasn't all that great--but considering the one they did on Oni Omoule, I'm more than a bit surprised he didn't get three stars as well.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 328
    Given: 43

I go to RIvals for that stuff. They seem to get more guys evaluated quicker.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 790
    Given: 1,629

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    I go to RIvals for that stuff. They seem to get more guys evaluated quicker.
    Yeah, sometimes Scout doesn't even have all of the known verbal commits updated or even have them with a profile.

Both Scout and Rivals reevealuate players or take their time evaluating a player so stars will fluctuate. We've had plenty of guys go from 0 to 2 or 3 stars.

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 230
    Given: 284

For the record I just found out the Jevohn Miller has been nominated for the Reggie Cleveland hall of fame. I was unaware of this until today.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Speechless
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 520
    Given: 269

They either just ranked them for the first time, or they re-evaluated them and re-ranked them.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

ANyone who is evaluated get's a rating of some sort in case some don't know. 1 star rankings are not good at all IMO. I think if Jevohn was fully evauated, he would be a three. probably a low 3 but a 3 nontheless. You can talk about them not mattering if you want but in honestly they are correct far more often than they are wrong.

Or so I have read.

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

i think scout ratings are better than the rivals ratings. i am somewhat disapointed,that rivls is slower than scout in reporting new commits.greg ohlsen is doing a good job at scout.

doc

Recruit
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 480
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

ESPN.com's recruiting section has much more detailed evaluations on recruits than either Rivals or Scout. ESPN also doesn't let who has offered a recruit bias their ratings as much. I like that ESPN provides a more nuanced number rating for each recruit alongside the traditional star ratings that are such a big part of recruits getting overhyped.

If you're looking for news on who a recruit is considering, though, Rivals is the best source.

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 602
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by hippiehawk View Post
    ESPN.com's recruiting section has much more detailed evaluations on recruits than either Rivals or Scout. ESPN also doesn't let who has offered a recruit bias their ratings as much. I like that ESPN provides a more nuanced number rating for each recruit alongside the traditional star ratings that are such a big part of recruits getting overhyped.

If you're looking for news on who a recruit is considering, though, Rivals is the best source.
    My problem with ESPN is their final ranking. You can read glowing reports on a recruit, and then they will get a low 70 ranking. Go check out Justin Blackmon's evaluation. I wanted to see how bad ESPN whiffed on him. They ranked him a low 3 star(74), but the review was glowing. The problem with ESPN is that Tom Luginbill is the final vetter of all the reviews, and he seems to eventually assign the rating. One of my friends evaluates prospects on the side, and he said the guy is not easy to work with.

Addict
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 776
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 209

Rivals is far and away the best recruiting service. Scout and ESPN are vastly inferior.

Recruit
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 480
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brett108 View Post
    My problem with ESPN is their final ranking. You can read glowing reports on a recruit, and then they will get a low 70 ranking. Go check out Justin Blackmon's evaluation. I wanted to see how bad ESPN whiffed on him. They ranked him a low 3 star(74), but the review was glowing. The problem with ESPN is that Tom Luginbill is the final vetter of all the reviews, and he seems to eventually assign the rating. One of my friends evaluates prospects on the side, and he said the guy is not easy to work with.
    Very interesting post. Still, in-depth evaluations with mismatched ratings are better than virtually no evaluations at all (Rivals) or a very brief list of a recruit's strengths and weaknesses (Scout).

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

rivals and scout maybe suck. why do they keep showing the same ole picture of sam richardson.can't someone there change their there recruiting pictures. lil sam is there every day of the season on their little sports capsules at the lower right hand corner of scout. old ohly does beat itty bitty clark many times on recruiting news. THE CYCLONE FANATIC BEATS BOTH RIVALS AND SCOUT!!!!!!!!!

doc

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brett108 View Post
    ESPN messes up a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by hippiehawk View Post

ESPN does give you quite the rundown but their ratings are not consistent withe the evals giving their evals very little credibility IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by xboxfever View Post
    Rivals is far and away the best recruiting service. Scout and ESPN are vastly inferior.
    Yes.

There was a piece of research done, I think at mgoblog.com and they basically took rankings for a period of time awhile back so that those players would have graduated and then through some metric graded out each service in terms of hindsight accuracy. I believe Rivals was the best followed by scout. ESPN was last but I do use their stuff to find certain things to look for in a video. All to often I find something they said to look to be untrue. I just don't know they hold a lot of water their. I do wish Scout would be less cumbersome and more user friendly. I think they may have the best coverage and personnel there but the site just kind of sucks. I use the offers only for who has certainly on Rivals. If they say there's and offer, there's a 99% chance they do. If it says they don't have one from a school, that means nothing to me.

Or so I have read.