Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Keys to Game

Defensively

Know who you are guarding - We need to do a better job of knowing who to run out to at the 3 point line and who not to. Against SEMO our guards ran out to Brister when he caught an open 3 pointer and he drove right around us. Brister coming into that game was 0 for 2 on three point shots and hadn't even attempted one in 6 games. There is no reason to run out on a player like him. If he wants to shoot a 3, GREAT. Better than letting him get into the lane where it opens everything up.

Don't run out on Bryce Cartwright or Marble. Cartwright is shooting 29% from 3 and Marble is at 25%. They will hurt us if they gets into the lane and it gives them options. Let them fire away from deep.

Run out on Zach McCabe. He is a pretty good shooter but more importantly he isn't going to kill us with the dribble. Make him put the ball on the floor where we can get him to make a mistake.

Make adjustments on Matt Gatens. Right now he is struggling bad with his shot. He is only hitting 17% of his 3's. We don't want to give him open looks but at the same time we don't want him getting to the lane and drawing fouls. He is an 88% career FT shooter. Don't give them easy points at the line.

You have to play May straight up. Most complete player on Iowa's team who can do damage from both inside and out. I think you mix putting Anderson and Ejim on him. Ejim has the size but Anderson has the quickness as well and is tough. May is shooting the ball great from downtown so you have to guard against that. I say you let him beat you from deep to start the game and make adjustments if he is shooting well.

Know where Cole and Basabe are. I don't think these guys can kill us in a half court set. Where they can kill us is by getting offensive rebounds and put backs. Get a body on them and limit the second chance points.

Offensively

Don't dribble the air out of the ball

Have good spacing on the floor

Toughness! Iowa has more strength than us and will use that on defense. Don't let them get to us. Be strong with the ball

Play our tempo. I think we can play a faster tempo much better than Iowa can. If Fran wants to play uptempo, Great! We will win that way. If they play like they did against UNI in more of a grind it out style, we will struggle. Don't let them do to us what UNI did. We dictate tempo and we will win.

Those are my thoughts...

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Keys to Game

My Key to The Game:

Just win.

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 541
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 70

Make shots.

Go Cyclones!!

Just Win Baby
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clones21 View Post
    My Key to The Game:

Just win.
    Quote Originally Posted by jay moe View Post
    Make shots.
    Thanks guys. Trying to go a little deeper than the obvious, "score more points than Iowa!"

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 73

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    Thanks guys. Trying to go a little deeper than the obvious, "score more points than Iowa!"
    Well crap, you just took the air out of my standard "Score More Points" approach.

I would agree with keeping it up-tempo. This team is born to run, and if we can do that, we can win the game. Just look at the UNI game where they dictated the pace of the game. That's not our style of play.

I'd also add that we need offensive rebounding. The more second-chance shots we can get, the better it will be for us.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CtownCyclone View Post
    Well crap, you just took the air out of my standard "Score More Points" approach.

I would agree with keeping it up-tempo. This team is born to run, and if we can do that, we can win the game. Just look at the UNI game where they dictated the pace of the game. That's not our style of play.

I'd also add that we need offensive rebounding. The more second-chance shots we can get, the better it will be for us.
    Yeah we have to dictate tempo. It's a must for a win tonight. Iowa has more size and strength than we do. We have more quickness at the guard position. If Iowa tries to get into a track meet with us, like Fran says he does, we will win. Iowa doesn't have the players to play uptempo yet. If they slow it down like UNI, than it will really come down to who is hotter from the field.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103
    Given: 19

Make shots, don't foul, Iowa shoots poorly.

Pro
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 615
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 15

Get JVB involved but don't let him get into foul trouble early. His stats in the two losses:

UNI: 4 fouls, 29 minutes, 3 pts, 6 rebounds - (4th foul happened with 9 minutes left in game)
    Cal: 4 fouls, 16 minutes, 7 pts, 1 rebound - (4th foul happened with 12 minutes left in game)

Who knows what the outcome would have been in either loss if JVB wasn't benched when he got into foul trouble? We'll need a big game from him tonight to see an ISU "W"

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing us establish a presence rebounding tonight. I doubt it's going to happen with both teams running an up-tempo offense, I just want to see Godfrey or Railey have a "Jared Homan" moment and just throw everyone out of the paint on the rebound.

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,159
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25

[QUOTE=Clones85';2044529]Thanks guys. Trying to go a little deeper than the obvious, "score more points than Iowa!"

I don't think it's that complicated. If we shoot a decent percentage from the perimeter and hold our own on the defensive boards, I think we'll win. I'm afraid that's going to be the key for pretty much all of our games, and this game is no different.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 781
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 11

[quote=cyclonestate;2044652]
    Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post

I don't think it's that complicated. If we shoot a decent percentage from the perimeter and hold our own on the defensive boards, I think we'll win. I'm afraid that's going to be the key for pretty much all of our games, and this game is no different.
    Agreed. If good shooting gets us a nice lead, they will be forced to play to our tempo...good rebounding will also help us keep the tempo we want.

The one thing I'm curious to see is if they try to play uptempo against us....their coach is on record as saying he wants his program to be an uptempo program as well.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonestate View Post

Sure it is. It's not as easy as saying if we shoot well we win. Well how do we get good looks to help us shoot well? We aren't going to shoot well if all our shots are contested. You have to have good spacing and move the ball to get open looks. The more open looks we get the better we will shoot. But you can't just walk into another teams arena and HOPE that you are going to shoot well. You have to have a gameplan.

You also can't just say, we need to get stops! Well of course, but HOW are we going to get stops? Who do we focus in on? What are we going to allow them to do and not allow them to do?

There are certain things you have to key on each team. My original post is what I think we need to focus on to be successful tonight

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 541
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 70

JVB and Ejim have to stay out of foul trouble, we must outrebound Iowa, and we must shoot above 50% to win. Looking forward to the game, something I haven't been able to say in the past few seasons.

Go Cyclones!!

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

JVB and Ejim have to stay out of foul trouble, we must outrebound Iowa, and we must shoot above 50% to win. Looking forward to the game, something I haven't been able to say in the past few seasons.
    Agree on the 1st comment

We need to stay close in rebounding. Don't think we have to win, just can't get killed on the offensive boards. UNI outrebounded us by 10, that is to much.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 781
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 11

Yeah last year was awwwwwful. One of the worst games in this series I'd seen in a long time.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 409
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39

its going to be hard for us to dictate tempo considering our weak rebounding and lack of depth. not much we can do about it.