Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 85

Twister Sister Summary - Iowa hands ISU another butt whooping

It was a nightmare to start this game. For starters, Pop was sick and missed the shoot around. She is definitely not herself and we definitely missed her presence at full speed. It seemed like an all too familiar story when the ladies play in Iowa City. It seemed that Iowa could do no wrong for the first 15 minutes as they shot lights out (over 50%) and ISU couldn't solve the Iowa defense.

Early in the game it was back and forth. The first five minutes showed each team creeping to a one point lead and then the other make a matching move. Suddenly or perhaps I should say slowly, Iowa began to pull away and the Sister's offense was on hold. No one could do anything for ISU except to foul. To make matters worse, it wasn't Iowa's outside game that was killing us. They were scoring in the paint and ISU was fouling them. When Iowa wasn't hitting they were pulling down offensive boards a la West Virginia. Do you think Bluder watched that tape closely? It was looking like a blowout when Iowa reached out to a 22-8 lead and ISU didn't score for nearly 9 minutes.

It almost seemed like a light switch was flipped in the last 5 minutes of the first half. Mansfield came alive and started a comeback for the Twister Sisters. Add to that the surprise play of Zimm. She showed up unlike anytime this year. She was grabbing boards and she hit a quick 5 points to shave the Iowa lead to 22-13. Mansfield scored the next six before Bolt got in on the fun to can a two and all of a sudden the blowout was off. It was Iowa 24-21 and the Sisters were rocking.

The rest of the half was ugly for both sides with turnovers, fouls and missed shots. The greatest blessing for ISU was that Iowa couldn't hit their free throws. They even got some offensive boards and couldn't hit the follow ups until Wahlin got another bucket in the paint to put Iowa up 26-21 at the half. Believe me folks, I felt much better at this point that at any time during this first half. It wasn't pretty. We weren't rebounding like we should and our inside defense wasn't anything to brag about. BUT our determination and resiliency showed and we were in the game. Mansfield finished the first half with 10 points and only 1 assist. After that it was Zimm with those 5 points and Bolte with 4.

The second half started just how we wanted it to. Bolte stole the inbounds pass from Iowa and while Mansfield missed, Slash grabbed the board and Prins was fouled. Two free throws later and it was 26-23. Add to that Mansfield blocked (yes folks blocked) the next Iowa shot and ISU was headed to the offensive end. What I saw at this point was a team that was hustling more than Iowa and being aggressive on the boards. Unfortunately, Prins picked up her third foul, Iowa scored and we were one big person down.

Again it seemed like ISU just went into a funk. We couldn't hit and we turned the ball over. Iowa hit a three that gave them some breathing room at 32-25, but both teams were struggling from the field. The scary part…as it was in the first half… ISU was fouling or at least getting called for it much more than Iowa was. Loz picked up her third foul and went to the bench. No sooner than Cole came in she turned the ball over leading to a fast break layup by Iowa. All of a sudden it was a 10 point lead. Shades of the first half!!.

The rest of this half was just ugliness on both sides. Iowa edged out to a 17 point lead mainly due to a rash of 3 straight turnovers, missed free throws, and lots of missed shots. 12 minutes into the half and ISU had only scored 7 points. Some of this had to be credited to Iowa's defense, but ISU couldn't hit the broad side of the barn when they had the chance. I was wondering if the Sisters had one more run in them. Harris hit a three to help get it to 13 with less that seven left. Unfortunately it didn't get any better as the ladies went on to keep missing, missing, missing. Iowa responded with a brief surge and put the lead up to 18 with some free throws and big three. We weren't getting boards - Iowa was. Ugly people. We simply were not in the game in the second half. Loz was our star for the game with 16 points followed by Bolte with 8. That should say something. What I hoped was a strength - our inside game - again wasn't there. Prins - 2 points, Zimm - 5 points, Pop - 0 points, Big C - 4 points. That, my friends is a recipe for disaster in any Iowa State game. Add to that a grand total of 11 rebounds among the four.

Final Score - Iowa 62-40

Interesting stat of the game - Iowa got off 17 more shots than we did and scored 11 more baskets.

Big stat of the game - Iowa had SIXTEEN offensive rebounds. Adds up to lots of second chance points.

Positive state for ISU - we hit 10 of 12 free throws.

I hate to say "I told you so," but Iowa is everything I feared they would be. They have a balance that our ladies don't have. They had three players in double figures and we had one. Folks this second half was just a good old fashioned butt whooping. If it weren't for what I saw in the Virgin Islands I'd start to wonder if we were a legit top 25 team. The cohesiveness just isn't there right now. I don't want to take anything away from Iowa as they appear to be a very good team. Our ladies have a lot of work to do when faced with the upcoming Big-12 schedule. If our bigs can't get their game going and going soon its going to be a very long season. We'll get our 17-18 wins, but there is potential for so much more. We also have to find another scorer to play off of Bolt and Loz. No one seems to want to grab that baton quite yet.

The upside of all of this is it gives Coach Fennelly a lot to work on during the remainder of the non-conference schedule. Confidence will be step one. Getting the aforementioned cohesiveness will be step two. Step three will be the inside game. These ladies have got to find their game versus being stuck in the sophomore slump.

See you Sunday at Hilton folks.

Pro
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,054
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 0

Re: Twister Sister Summary - Iowa hands ISU another butt whooping

Not the first time we've been blown out in Carver. Not too worried about it, Iowa had a great night from the way it sounds

ABC - Always Be Closing

Recruit
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Need a #2 point also.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 320
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Thanks acoustimac. I always appreciate reading your posts. Let me start by saying that when I was in the ISU Cyclone Football "Varsity" Marching Band in 1995 we had a little chant that went something like this:

OH WE HATE THE HAWKEYES, OH YAH, UH-HUH!!!!!

The Hawks bring out the worst in the Cyclones. Anyway, that only made me feel marginally better. The game was awful.

I'm confused because I thought we played MUCH better against #9 ranked Final Four contender West Virginia than we did against Iowa. I agree with you that if it weren't for the tropical tourney wins against quality opponents I would not believe in this team like I do. We could drop out of the Top 25 from a blowout loss like this.

I realize the 2008 loss was just as bad, but that team had five seniors on it and went to the Elite 8 on a mission. After that loss I think BF switched Alison Lacey to the point guard and Heather Ezell to the shooting guard and the rest of the season was magic. THIS team, however, has only one very frustrated senior that gets completely taken out of the game by opposing defense while the other 4 players (all fresh/soph) stand around looking like deer in headlights.

Today we were completely exposed for the fact that Schroll, Poppens, and Cole cannot, do not, and will not shoot the ball. When any of those three had the ball in their hands the defense sagged way off and blocked all passing lanes. We will probably see that all season long unless somebody decides to step up and make them pay for it. (Remember Denae Stuckey's crucial 3-pointer in the corner against Green Bay last year that turned the momentum toward the Sweet 16?)

Poppens threw up bricks every time. Hallie disappeared, there were times I didn't even realize Hallie was on the court in uniform she was so meek and far away from the ball. Prins, I love her, but she got beat bad in the post by smaller less gifted players.

I don't want to rag on the team any more. I feel bad already. They are 18-21 year old student athletes trying their best to balance school during finals week and sports under an intense environment. I love them all and they are all Cyclones.

My biggest fear is that tonight we watched a "changing of the guard" in State of Iowa WBB, knowing the top tier recruiting class Bluder has coming in next year.
    I sure hope that is not the case and that once again for the umpteenth time Coach Fen proves all the naysayers wrong and pulls out another remarkable season.

Go Cyclones! BEAT BAYLOR AGAIN and we'll be asking "Who are the Hawkeyes?" !!!!!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 277
    Given: 239

Maybe we need to play five guards.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 453
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 85

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Maybe we need to play five guards.
    I think at times we were close...we just don't have five guards that are ready to play all at the same time. Loz - yes. Schroll - doesn't score consistently but hustles her butt off, Cole -- can't score and is a turnover machine, Harris - potential but hasn't found her shot yet, Dick is now gone and that leaves Arganbright who isn't ready or even close to it yet.

So yes we have five guards, but it wouldn't be pretty having all five out there at the same time.

Addict
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,134
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 169

Tonight was the first time I'd seen either team play. The Hawks looked great, and the Clones definitely looked off, way below my expectations. However, it sounds like you guys did lose an awful lot from last year. The Hawks are a battle-tested team, and have multiple players who can beat you. Printy only had what, like 5 or 6 points, but 10+ assists? Morgan Johnson is playing with MUCH more confidence compared to this time last year, and it shows. Kach went out and had kind of a slow start, but eventually got to doing what she does best.

You guys just seemed to run into a buzzsaw tonight, but I think by mid-January things will start to really click for you. Iowa just had way more experience on the floor tonight, so they're already hitting on all cylinders.

Rookie
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Row55 View Post
    Need a #2 point also.
    Agreed, Chassidy would be a better 2 guard than point. Wish Whit had stuck around!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 320
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Just listened to BF's post grame presser. Brutal. He said Loz and Bolte gave every ounce of energy they had but he could not say the same about one single other player and that he will "obviously be making some major changes." He was very very critical of the ineffectiveness of the 4 talented post players and said he'll consider going to a 4-guard lineup instead. He said they'll have to change the way they practice. Loz said she was unprepared for the "intensity" of the game.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 277
    Given: 239

Sounds like practice will be much rougher to get these players ready to play at a higher pace, Need to get more mileage out of the team. These are not intramurals as Dan would say.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Walk On
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Loz outplayed a very salty guard in Wahlin. I was very impressed with her game. Bolte also played very hard. Kach was draped on her with no calls a few times. Iowa, I believe, only had 2 fouls in the first half. Sisters had a great idea when they would clear the lane when guards found Printy guarding them. She's terrible defensively. Shots just wouldn't fall. Got behind and had to change gameplan.

Anna Prins in one dimensional and soft. She looked like she didn't want to play. Hopefully her attitude improves. I would take Morgan Johnson any day and game before her.

Biggest difference is Iowa wanted to win the game and played hard. Kelly Krei is not flashy but she is exactly what the Sisters are missing. She plays every second like it's her last on the court. Some one who is tough will do what it takes to win. She'll bang with the bigs. Shoot the three. Whatever a coach needs, she'll do. Bolte and Loz showed this tonight, but they are not enough.

I wasn't guaranteeing a win tonight but I was very disappointed with the effort some players showed.

Go Cyclones!

Recruit
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

On the other hand, a year ago it was a stunned Iowa team walking off the court on the receiving end of a blowout, and Iowa's season turned out OK.

I think Poppens will be fine once she's back to 100%. Christofferson had a freshman night on the road & we know she's better than that. To me Mansfield looks better each time out and as was noted before, outplayed Wahlin. Zimmerman had a nice stretch in the first half, need to see more of that from her.

And Fennelly always has his teams playing their best ball later in the season. More W's are on the way, I'd say.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 25

As bad as that game was, it didn't surprised me. I will be surprised if BF does not have this team playing much better in 3 weeks, he is just a great coach.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I can't think of her name write now, but is the girl from Ames High (Guard) still on the Iowa team? I thought she played some last year.

"Hug It Out."

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 19

We'll squeek in the tournament with this team. We have a very weak non-conf schedule (should win the rest) and with the traditional strength of the B12, I think 6-7 wins in conf still gets you in.

That said, Bill needs better athletes. Always has.