Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 881
    Given: 620

Comments on Gene around the horn

Googlelized after Big 12 Media Days - people in Texas are writing about Gene recently being in Texas quite a bit. The two headed coin is a big hit. Lots of respect for ex-Texan.

Kansas City:
    Iowa State has faith in new coach

By HOWARD RICHMAN

The Kansas City Star

Iowa State coach Gene Chizik has big recruiting plans. He intends to have four coaches recruit in Texas, where he was an assistant.
    SAN ANTONIO | The commemorative coin shows a man’s face on one side, the Iowa State logo on the other.
    But nowhere does it read, “In Gene We Trust.” The image on the minted coin being distributed is new Iowa State football coach Gene Chizik, who hopes that piece of copper that goes for $15 turns to gold.
    “The value of the coin will be in proportion with how many we win or lose,” Chizik said Tuesday. “Hopefully, we can make the coin’s value go up at some point.”
    Bringing stability to the program would be a good way to start.
    You had to hang on tight in recent years on this dizzying journey Iowa State has taken. In 2003 the Cyclones lost their last 10 games, including 0-8 in the Big 12, but just a season later only needed a 24-yard field goal against Missouri to advance to their first Big 12 championship game.
    Didn’t happen. MU won in overtime.
    Iowa State, which didn’t play in a bowl game during 1979-99, looked as if it had navigated the corner in 2005. The Cyclones upended a top-10 team in Iowa and hammered Texas A&M in College Station by 28.
    Good times? Not so fast. The Cyclones dropped six of their last seven in 2006, finished 4-8 overall, and they dumped coach Dan McCarney — the same guy who guided Iowa State to bowl games five times in the last seven seasons.
    “Dan was one of the best things that ever happened to Iowa State, but this is a difficult business,” Missouri coach Gary Pinkel said.
    Now it’s Chizik’s turn with a program that was voted by the Big 12 media to finish in the North cellar. One of his first orders of business after leaving his post as assistant head coach of the Texas Longhorns was 5:30 a.m. workouts.
    “To tell you the truth, I didn’t even know that time existed,” Cyclones senior linebacker Alvin Bowen said.
    Chizik, though, had enough time for his new players, and that convinced senior wide receiver Todd Blythe that the Cyclones’ hire was priceless.
    “He made a huge point after he got here to recruit us, guys that already were here, to get to know us on and off the field,” said Blythe, who should be a prime target for senior quarterback Bret Meyer. “He talked to us about grades, school, girlfriends … he wanted to know everything about you. I really appreciated that, that he was that interested in me, especially when he knew he was going to be with me only eight or nine months.”
    Chizik isn’t making outrageous promises. But he did guarantee Iowa State will have a major presence in the state of Texas. The Cyclones have 17 Texans on their roster, but that might be low in future years. Chizik says he plans on having four coaches recruit in Texas.
    “We’re selling them hope, we’re selling a vision, selling young men that one, two, three, four years from now, who knows how long it takes, they can say they were on the ground floor of something special, that they are the reason it got turned,” Chizik said.
    As for that coin, well, maybe it took Chizik’s son Cally to put it in perspective.
    “My son said, ‘How did they put your face on a coin and you haven’t won any games yet?’ ” Chizik said. “He’s 6, by the way.”
    Waco:
    A Chizik for your thoughts?

By Jerry Hill | Tuesday, July 24, 2007, 02:15 PM
    Coins are usually reserved for dead presidents. Gene Chizik’s never been president and — jokes about Ames, Iowa, aside — he’s not dead yet.
    But Community State Bank out of Des Moines has issued a limited edition collector’s coin that features an embossed image of Iowa State’s rookie head coach on one side and the Cyclone logo on the other, with an antiqued gold finish and red inlaid accents. Estimated value of the coin and its velour jeweler’s box is $15.
    “My son said, ‘How did they put your face on a coin, and you haven’t won any games yet?’ ’’ said Chizik, the former defensive coordinator at Texas and Auburn. “He’s 6, by the way, and I thought he worked for the newspaper at one point.
    “You know, it’s bizarre to me. I think eventually the value of the coin will be in proportion with how many we win or lose.”
    Austin:
    Chizik makes a swing through Texas
    By Suzanne Halliburton | Tuesday, July 24, 2007, 12:08 PM
    SAN ANTONIO — Former Longhorn defensive coordinator Gene Chizik greeted the Big 12 Conference media Tuesday for the first time as head coach of Iowa State.
    With no wins or losses on his personal record, Chizik is a popular man in Iowa. He’s so popular that a bank in Des Moines issued a commemorative coin with Chizik’s likeness. There are two versions of the coin available to the public, including one with red inlaid accents.

The coin went on sale earlier this month at a cost of $15 per coin.
    It will be used for the first time on August 30th when the Cyclones open the season against Kent State. It’ll also be used at every home coin toss this season, including the Cyclones game against Texas, Oct. 13.
    Chizik says he still talks frequently with Mack Brown, his old boss, on the how-tos of coordinating an entire program. He also has assigned four coaches to recruit Texas.

Des Moines:
    ISU's Chizik: Preseason predictions don't matter

ANDREW LOGUE
    REGISTER STAFF WRITER
    July 24, 2007

San Antonio, Texas Gene Chizik is moving past preseason predictions.

Iowa State’s new football coach was asked during today’s Big 12 Conference meetings what he thought about the Cyclones being picked to finish last in the North Division.

“I’ve heard it all,” Chizik said. “We’ve got a job to do, and we know it’s a tall order.

“If they had picked us No. 1 in the nation, it wouldn’t matter. We’ve got to go out and do the same thing.”

Reporters asked Chizik how quickly he can turn the Cyclones around, his conversations with former Iowa State coach Dan McCarney and what his son thought about a newly minted Gene Chizik coin.

Meanwhile, linebacker Alvin Bowen discussed the 5:30 a.m. workouts the Cyclones endured during the offseason.

“To tell you the truth, I didn’t know that time existed,” Bowen said with a grin. “That was a brisk walk (to the football facilities).”

Chizik said there were no injuries or academic casualties on the Cyclone roster, and he’s prepared for the start of practice on Aug. 1.

Norman:
    In Ames, they'll flip Chizik
    John Shinn's Big 12 Football Notepad
    By John Shinn
    The Norman Transcript
    Usually you have to be a former president or a founding father to get your likeness on a coin. But all Gene Chizik had to do is accept the head coaching job at Iowa State.

A Des Moines, Iowa, bank is selling the Chizik commemorative coin and it will be used for the coin flip at Iowa State’s first home game.

“My son said, ‘How did they put your face on a coin and you haven’t won any games yet?’ Chizik said. “He’s 6 by the way. And I thought he worked for the newspaper at one point.”

Chizik was a hot commodity in college football circles. He’d been the defensive coordinator at Texas the previous two season after a successful run as Auburn’s defensive coordinator.

His hiring has breathed some optimism into Ames. He said his goal is to make the coin a wise investment.

“But I don’t know what they’re going for right now. Probably not very much,” he said. “But it’s an exciting time for everybody, to be honest with you. And, again, it’s just the new beginning. I think there’s a lot of excitement there and hopefully we can make the coin’s value go up at some point.”

No late nights

The status of Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick is big news to college football players. Missouri tight end Martin Rucker said it’s all he’s heard about over the last week.

“It’s everywhere,” he said. “It’s on ESPN every day and it’s in all the newspapers. It’s serious stuff.”

The NFL is cracking down on bad behavior and Rucker believes whatever happens at the pro level will eventually trickle down to the college level

He said Missouri coach Gary Pinkel has already banned players from being in bars or clubs after 9 p.m.

That also means there wasn’t much time spent on the San Antonio Riverwalk Monday or Tuesday night.

“Coach Pinkel has us on a tight leash,” Rucker said.

He heard you

Texas A&M defensive tackle Red Bryant gave Oklahoma fans something to cheer or blush about when he was asked which conference stadium was the toughest to play in.

“Oklahoma,” he said. “Their fans are talking to you the whole game.”

The fans sit right on top of benches at Owen Field and Bryant said one can’t help but hear what’s being yelled.

“They’re just right there and you have to be prepared because you’re going to take a tongue lashing,” he said.

The Sooners host the Aggies Nov. 3 at Owen Field.

More in the cupboard

Texas Tech doesn’t bring one starting receiver back from last year’s team. That begs the question of who quarterback Graham Harrell will throw to.

Coach Mike Leach isn’t worried about his receivers.

“It’s like Mark Twain said, ‘The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated,’” he said.

Austin, TE:
    BIG 12 FOOTBALL
    To coin a phrase, Iowa State's gaga over Chizik
    Cyclones fans placing a lot of hope in former Horns assistant

By Suzanne Halliburton
    AMERICAN STATESMAN STAFF
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007

SAN ANTONIO — It's not often that a college coach is honored with his own coin, especially when that coach is only 45 years old, in his first head coaching gig and has yet to even win a single game.
    But a Des Moines bank recently produced two coins with the likeness of Gene Chizik, who left his job as co-defensive coordinator at Texas for Iowa State eight months ago to take over the struggling Cyclones program.

Mary Chind
    Gene Chizik A coin with the coach's likeness will cost you $15.
    For $15, a fan can buy the Chizik coin in antique gold or with red accents. One will also be used for the coin flip at each Saturday home game, including Oct. 13, when the Cyclones host the Longhorns.
    "My son said, 'How did they put your face on a coin and you haven't won any games yet?' " Chizik recalled Tuesday, when he met with the Big 12 Conference media. "He's 6, by the way. I thought he worked for a newspaper at that point."
    Media aside, it's safe to conclude that Cyclones fans and players are in the midst of a Chizik crush.
    "He was a huge get for us," gushed Iowa State receiver Todd Blythe.
    Chizik acknowledged that he'll have to win a lot of games before it turns into a full-blown love affair. Still, he was noticeably more relaxed Tuesday than he ever seemed during his two years as a coordinator under Longhorns coach Mack Brown.
    In Austin, Chizik met with the media twice a week and maybe put in an occasional appearance to speak to a fan group.
    But as the new face of Iowa State football, he has been barnstorming his state during a series of Cyclones Tailgates. The tailgates are equal parts interactive fan fest and pep rally. And they're free, with Chizik encouraging all fans to bring the kids. In past years, coaches would meet with fans who belonged to official booster clubs and who paid cash to hear them talk.
    Chizik has led the fests in Cedar Rapids, Davenport and Sioux City while swinging by Council Bluffs, which is on the border with neighboring Nebraska. The tailgates attract between 1,000 and 1,500 fans. The biggest one will be next month in Des Moines.
    Then it's on to football season, with Iowa State opening at home against Kent State on Aug. 30.
    Ticket sales are at an all-time high. So far, 33,000 season tickets have been purchased for Jack Trice Stadium, which holds 55,000. The previous record was 30,000 set in 2006, when Iowa State was coming off a seven-win season.
    A 4-8 record, including a 1-7 slate in Big 12 play, prompted athletic director Jamie Pollard to fire popular coach Dan McCarney and hire Chizik, who had a glittering résumé as a defensive coordinator at Texas and Auburn.
    Iowa State isn't expected to fare much better this season than the Cyclones did a year ago. Preseason polls rank them last in the North Division.
    The team returns 10 starters, including Blythe, an all-conference pick in 2005, and quarterback Bret Meyer, who leads all returning quarterbacks nationally with 7,979 career yards.
    After studying his roster, Chizik was forced to sift through the junior colleges for a quick infusion of experience. He signed 11 juco players, but won't know for a month whether they'll make the two-deep roster.
    Chizik also tinkered with Iowa State's offseason conditioning program, with all players checking into the weight room at 5:30 a.m., two to three hours earlier than in past years.
    He's hoping that he can quickly turn around a program that slipped badly in 2006 after enjoying a stretch of five bowl appearances in six seasons. He hasn't been associated with a losing team since 1999, when he was the secondary coach for 4-7 Central Florida.
    And with a significant turnaround, he's hoping his commemorative coin will grow in value.
    "I don't know what they're going for right now, probably not very much," Chizik said. "But it's an exciting time for everybody to be honest with you."
    ink our receivers are alive and kicking despite popular belief, too.”

San Antoinio:
    Chizik aims to earn his Iowa State coin

Web Posted: 07/25/2007 04:08 PM CDT

Jeff McDonaldExpress-News staff writer
    The Gene Chizik era at Iowa State is already off to a golden start. Quite literally.
    A local bank in Ames is offering a commemorative coin, engraved in antique gold and bearing the likeness of the Cyclones' new head coach.
    Two months to go before Chizik's first game on the Iowa State sideline, and already he's getting the George Washington treatment. That's not to say the new coach is completely without his critics.
    "My son said, 'How did they put your face on a coin and you haven't won any games yet?'" Chizik said.
    Recounting the tale at Big 12 media days Tuesday, Chizik — the former Texas defensive coordinator gearing up for his first head coaching job — couldn't help but chuckle.
    "He's 6, by the way," Chizik said. "I thought he was working for a newspaper."
    Officially, the new Gene Chizik coin is not exactly legal tender, meaning you can't use it to make change. Cyclones fans are just hoping that the man whose face graces that coin can indeed change the team's sagging football fortunes.
    The Cyclones, after a series of close-but-no-cigar runs at a Big 12 North title, limped to 4-8 last year — a pratfall that ultimately cost Dan McCarney his job.
    Enter Chizik, who in two seasons as a co-defensive coordinator at Texas rose to prominence as one of the nation's hottest assistant coaches.
    "I knew a lot of schools would go after him," receiver Todd Blythe said. "He was a big get for us."
    Chizik certainly has his work cut out for him in Ames, where the Cyclones are again the consensus pick to finish at the bottom of the Big 12 North.
    Chizik, for his part, has no use for such dire predictions.
    He's too wrapped up in his newest hobby: Coin speculation.
    "I think the value of the coin will be in proportion with how many we win or lose," Chizik said. "Hopefully, we can make it go up at some point."
    Notebook
    Ghosts of Manhattan: Though he's been on the job at Iowa State for seven months now, Gene Chizik still hasn't forgotten his lowest moment as Texas' co-defensive coordinator.
    That would be last Nov. 11, when Kansas State ambushed the Longhorns for 323 yards passing in a 45-42 Wildcats victory to end UT's national championship hopes.
    "Games like that will haunt you for the rest of your life," Chizik said.
    Psychic connection: The cupboard might be close to bare, but the Cyclones still have quarterback Bret Meyer and receiver Todd Blythe, the top pass-catch duo in school history.
    "There's always an unspoken aura between a good quarterback and a good receiver," Chizik said. "Over the last three years, Bret and Todd have had that."
    Habla Chizik: The arrival of eight new assistant coaches, including offensive coordinator Robert McFarland, has meant learning a new language.
    "The verbiage is new, some of the formations are new," Meyer said. "For three years, they said 'trips' meant this, and now it's that. That's been the most difficult thing."
    Quotepad
    "The underdog role is something we'll relish. We can thrive in that role, because people don't expect much out of you. We can't go anywhere but up."

Kansas.com:

Will Chizik win at ISU? It's a coin toss

BY RICK PLUMLEE AND JEFFREY MARTIN

The Wichita Eagle

SAN ANTONIO - Gene Chizik has never coached a football game as a head coach, yet Iowa State's new boss already has his likeness on a commemorative coin.
    Sound a bit odd?
    That's what Cally Chizik, the coach's 6-year-old son, thought when he heard his dad was going to be on a coin marketed by Community State Bank in Ankeny, Iowa.
    "My son said, 'How did they put your face on a coin and you haven't won a game yet?"' Chizik said Tuesday during Big 12 media days. "I thought he worked for the newspaper at one point."
    But he admitted the whole idea is "bizarre to me now. It's strange."
    The bank, which has 10 branches around Iowa, began selling the coin July 14 for $15 each. A picture of Cy, the cardinal mascot, is on the coin's flip side.
    "I think the value of the coin will be in proportion with how many we win or lose," said Chizik, who replaced fired Dan McCarney after spending the past two seasons as Texas' defensive coordinator. "It's just a new beginning. I think there's a lot of excitement and, hopefully, we can make the coin's value go up at some point."
    The idea for the coin came from Cyclone Sports Properties, a division of Learfield Communications, the national company that has marketing contracts with ISU and 34 other major universities.
    Cyclone Sports general manager Ryan Grant said one of his assistants was brainstorming ideas on ways that the Ankeny bank could become more involved with ISU athletics when he hit on the commemorative coin.
    When Grant asked Chizik if he would go along with the idea, the new coach said, 'Yeah, why not?"'
    Obviously, Grant didn't clear the plan with Cally.
    Early work -- Chizik didn't waste any time putting his stamp on ISU football. He called for 5:30 a.m. conditioning workouts this past winter.
    "That's a part of the morning I never knew existed," senior linebacker Alvin Bowen said. "No one likes to wake up that early in the morning. It's a time I'll always remember."
    Alarms were set for 4:45 a.m.
    "I'm not sure anyone agreed with the idea of having those early workouts in the winter in Ames, Iowa," senior wide receive Todd Blythe said. "But it was something our team needed. It brought our team together... puking out, no breakfast.
    "It was a recruiting time for us to get to know the new coaches and for them to get to know us. We've been with these guys for six months, but it seems like we've been with them for a lot longer."
    While the workouts were in an indoor facility, players and coaches still had to make their way through some deep snow and icy winds to reach their destination. Chizik has spent his entire coaching career in the South -- Texas, Auburn, Central Florida -- and the same goes for most of his assistants.
    "I think it was a big shock for the coaches," Blythe said. "All they brought were spring jackets."

Last edited by Wesley; 08-01-2007 at 06:21 PM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Facebook Knows All
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 677
    Given: 396

Re: Comments on Gene around the horn

Does anyone know something about Chizik and a gold coin?? Wow...writers love the coin. There is about every single coin cliche in the book in those articles.

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 9

I like how each one opens up with the coin story. You'd think we built a 50 foot statue of Chizik to get that sort of attention.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Giving it a go
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    Does anyone know something about Chizik and a gold coin?? Wow...writers love the coin. There is about every single coin cliche in the book in those articles.
    Didn't see "Three coins in a fountain, each one seeking happiness"

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

Addict
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 624
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 8

Anyone find it interesting that pretty much every paper refers to Dan McCarney as "fired"?

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by mwitt View Post
    Anyone find it interesting that pretty much every paper refers to Dan McCarney as "fired"?
    Yeah, technically he resigned, but I think his departure may be the equivalent of telling a child that instead of their grandma dying, that "she just went to sleep for a very, very long time".

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Love the articles, but when did Chizik start coaching the basketball team?

Last edited by superfan; 08-01-2007 at 07:15 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 881
    Given: 620

Great coins almighty. Buy now before they go up in value.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 624
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by AirWalke View Post
    Yeah, technically he resigned, but I think his departure may be the equivalent of telling a child that instead of their grandma dying, that "she just went to sleep for a very, very long time".
    Yeah, but aren't journalists supposed to use the technical term?

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,064
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

one would think, but journalists nowadays go for what is the most dramatic...sometimes clinging on a thread for a story.