Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Offense wins Championships!

I saw this article on ESPN.com and found it very interesting considering ISU's strengths on offense this year. This could be our national championship year after all! ;)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/previe...van&id=2543608

Go State!!!

Rookie
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 44
    we have 1 Jr running back. last year we had a 1 transfer for running back that showed fair results everyone else was either injured or fumble fingered. he had some negative yards at first but then he almost took one for a touchdown against OSU. he didnt touch the football on the field again. never got anywhere on ground after that except with koch.

heard rumor hicks slimmed down some but that means squat if he runs into the linemen this year like he did last year.

quarterback and receiver core definately impressive. its down to running back and line.

defense will be interesting to see what they can do. defense has not dissapointed much in past few years except when they been on the field to long.

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 9
    I think a slimmed down Hicks would mean that he'd be more agile, which is the only aspect he's lacked since I first saw him. Hopefully that'll mean more breakaway speed too.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by MrApathy View Post

defense will be interesting to see what they can do. defense has not dissapointed much in past few years except when they been on the field to long.
    Bingo! How is an inexperienced Iowa State defense going to handle the likes of Texas Tech and Texas? The name escapes, but the transfer ISU has from Michigan State, do you honestly think he's seen anything like what Texas Tech is going to throw at him? Offenses can score all the points they want to, but unless you've got a decent defense, last thing you want to do is get into a track meet with the pass happy offenses of the Big 12.

All-Star
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,157
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6
    Considering he's got to practice against the best QB of the big 12 and the 2nd best (maybe first at the end of season) WR's of the big 12. I think yeah... he'll be ready for any of the other big 12 teams.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 592
    Given: 362
    Quote Originally Posted by dbronco7sc View Post
    Considering he's got to practice against the best QB of the big 12 and the 2nd best (maybe first at the end of season) WR's of the big 12. I think yeah... he'll be ready for any of the other big 12 teams.
    I think you hit it very well. If anything is going to help this young defense, it's constantly facing a very good offense. They have that luxury.

I'm not saying it's going to turn them into a bunch of veterans that will take the nation by storm...but it sure helps having to stop the likes of Meyer, Bythe, Flynn, etc - on a daily basis.

While I don't expect our defense to perform as well as they did last fall - I think with all the athletic ability we've got...they'll do better than many expect.

All-Star
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 918
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Stevie Hicks is not a back that needs to be more agile. He's not that kind of runner, in every game I've seen he's been far more successful when simply hitting the hole hard and running through it. He gets into way too much trouble when he tries to dance around and be "agile." In my opinion the last thing we need is Stevie to start dancing around like he's some sort of Reggie Bush. This is a touchy subject for me, as I really like Stevie, but he truly pisses me off when he tries to dance around in the backfield which eventually leads to a loss of yards........HIT THE HOLE STEVIE, then show your breakaway speed and agility getting around the linebackers and secondary.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 592
    Given: 362
    Quote Originally Posted by mizouse87 View Post
    Stevie Hicks is not a back that needs to be more agile. He's not that kind of runner, in every game I've seen he's been far more successful when simply hitting the hole hard and running through it. He gets into way too much trouble when he tries to dance around and be "agile." In my opinion the last thing we need is Stevie to start dancing around like he's some sort of Reggie Bush. This is a touchy subject for me, as I really like Stevie, but he truly pisses me off when he tries to dance around in the backfield which eventually leads to a loss of yards........HIT THE HOLE STEVIE, then show your breakaway speed and agility getting around the linebackers and secondary.
    You must have missed his 25 or so yard TD run vs. K-State last year. In the fourth quarter...Stevie goes off the center's left side...just as he gets past the line..."dance" right..."dance" left..."dance" back right...open field straight ahead...touchdown. At least 2 K-State defenders made an attempt to tackle him...both grasping air. THAT was our Stevie Hicks.

I too would like to see him hit the hole harder from taking the ball to the line...but I also know he does have the ability to elude would-be tacklers.

All-Star
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 918
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    ISUfan22......I totally agree with you....what I'd like to see is for him to hit the hole and get past the line and then use his agility to get past the backers/secondary. It's when he starts dancing around in the backfield he gets into trouble. Those holes are only open for a short period of time and when he wastes time dancing in the backfield they close.

So if he can hit that hole quick and hard and then use his skills to elude the other defenders he honestly could be one of the best backs in the Big Twelve.

On that note, this offense this year could be truly special, especially if Stevie is able to perform like we know he can. If we get a balanced attack I don't think there will be a defense that won't have troubles stopping us.

Rookie
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 44
    Quote Originally Posted by mizouse87 View Post
    I agree Stevie needs to forget everything except that damned End Zone and run straight for it. train on the tracks. well maybe he should get around are offensive line first he has ran into their backside more than a few times and gone for zero gainers heading for the sideline. well to be fair Stevie gets 2.5 to 5 yard gains at times

I remember that Kansas State touch down theyre defense was toast I would rather remember Stevie Hicks earning a touch down against other teams hell I would settle just for steady 10 yard gains and first downs.

now were short Jason Scales

God Bless Enis the Menice and CL16

Last edited by MrApathy; 08-11-2006 at 01:55 AM.