Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,159
    Given: 310

Release: Andrew Long to Penn State

Here's the official release from Iowa State ---

Long Intends to Wrestle at Penn State
    AMES, Iowa – Former Iowa State wrestler Andrew Long will transfer to Penn State to continue his collegiate wrestling career it was announced Wednesday. Long was the 125-pound runner-up for the Cyclones at the NCAA Championships in March. He finished the season with a 27-7 record.
    “We gave Andrew a series of steps he needed to accomplish to rejoin our team,” Iowa State head coach Kevin Jackson said. “During that process, Andrew decided that he could best address those issues in a place where he would be starting over. We will honor his decision and support his efforts to address his personal issues.”
    Long was dismissed from the Iowa State wrestling team in June after violations of team rules. He is currently enrolled as a student at Iowa State.
    “I want to thank coach Jackson for his support while I have been here,” Long said. “We were working on a process through which I would be able to join the team for the second semester. As I worked through this process I came to the conclusion that I needed a chance to start over somewhere else. ”

Addict
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,465
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 233
    Given: 40

Re: Release: Andrew Long to Penn State

i won't blame long for wanting to transfer. and i won't blame jackson for kicking him off the team

Addict
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 473
    Given: 403

This wrestling team has changed alot, much more than I anticipated. I don't follow wrestling very closely, but watched the replay last night of the Iowa State/Iowa meet. I couldn't believe all the low-ranked, underclassmen with losing records. Even Iowa seemed to be weak by their standards. From what I have seen, KJ seems like a great coach. Hopefully, this is just taking a year to give some experience to guys. It sure would be great to see us #1 again in the near future.

All-Star
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 744
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    This wrestling team has changed alot, much more than I anticipated. I don't follow wrestling very closely, but watched the replay last night of the Iowa State/Iowa meet. I couldn't believe all the low-ranked, underclassmen with losing records. Even Iowa seemed to be weak by their standards. From what I have seen, KJ seems like a great coach. Hopefully, this is just taking a year to give some experience to guys. It sure would be great to see us #1 again in the near future.
    Like I talked about in a post a few months ago regarding recruiting.. Wrestling is changing quite a bit from where it was the past 30 years or so. Iowa and Iowa St. were consistently at the top half (usually top 5) every year because a majority of the roster was stacked with good old Iowa kids. Iowa was known as the premier state for high school wrestling, so it was easy pickings for our coaches, but those days are gone, premier wrestling is out East (New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, etc.). Also, the really good wrestlers from Iowa tend to flock to UofI for wrestling more often then they come to ISU because that is definitely the superior college wrestling school in Iowa.

Another change that is apparent in wrestling is that kids flock to either A) dominate wrestling schools, or B) to places where the coaches are highly recognized, and as of late it has been more of option (B).

Iowa State is in a tough place, the state as a whole isn't producing the kids like they used to, and if they are, a majority are heading to UofI. Second, no offense to KJ because I think he's a class act and a great coach, but if you go around and ask a majority of high school students from the elite states who Kevin Jackson is, a good majority will say they have no idea? Ask the same kids who Cael Sanderson is and everyone will know that, the Brands boys as well. If you don't believe me on this, go look at PSU's wrestling roster, and look at the freshman there, if I'm not mistaken they've got the #1-5 top freshman out of high school there.

Yeah I was ****** when Cael left, but you can't blame the guy, better facilities, a lot more talent coming out of his backyard, and he's got to use his name to his advantage while kids still recognize who he is.

I mean look at Ok. St... John Smith had a stretch where Ok. St. was unstoppable, but John Smith at the time was who Cael Sanderson is now, a guy that all wrestlers dream of being.

I honestly don't know if ISU will ever be an elite program again, I honestly wish I could say were rebuilding and such, but I just don't see it. Sure we've got a couple of really good kids in the room, but a few kids don't win a National Championship for your team, you've got to have a stacked roster, and we just don't have that here.

Originally posted by dosry5
    Schfinkter is smarter than he looks....

Legend
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 540
    Given: 622

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    i won't blame long for wanting to transfer. and i won't blame jackson for kicking him off the team
    Yeah, agreed. I am sad that he couldn't get his life back on track here but I understand that a completely new set of surroundings might be what he needs.

We'll miss him in the lineup, and in the barfights.

Legend
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 540
    Given: 622

Quote Originally Posted by Schfinkter View Post
    I honestly don't know if ISU will ever be an elite program again, I honestly wish I could say were rebuilding and such, but I just don't see it. Sure we've got a couple of really good kids in the room, but a few kids don't win a National Championship for your team, you've got to have a stacked roster, and we just don't have that here.
    While I don't totally disagree, I think it is far too early to write off ISU wrestling. While KJ might lack name recognition among high school kids, he doesn't lack it in the Olympic wrestling community, which can help attract top talent to the Cyclone Wrestling club, which gives us more elite guys to push the kids on the university team year-round.

Plus we're still a top tier school in terms of attendance. If a kid wants to wrestle in front of a crowd, ISU is one of the few schools where he can do that.

I am worried about the holes in out line-up this year, but I think a lot of that had to do with graduating an extremely talented senior class and people leaving with Cael. Jackson hasn't given any reason for us to doubt about the state of ISU wrestling yet. He better be targeting some talented lightweights in his recruiting this year though!

All-Star
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 744
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    While I don't totally disagree, I think it is far too early to write off ISU wrestling. While KJ might lack name recognition among high school kids, he doesn't lack it in the Olympic wrestling community, which can help attract top talent to the Cyclone Wrestling club, which gives us more elite guys to push the kids on the university team year-round.

Plus we're still a top tier school in terms of attendance. If a kid wants to wrestle in front of a crowd, ISU is one of the few schools where he can do that.

I am worried about the holes in out line-up this year, but I think a lot of that had to do with graduating an extremely talented senior class and people leaving with Cael. Jackson hasn't given any reason for us to doubt about the state of ISU wrestling yet. He better be targeting some talented lightweights in his recruiting this year though!
    Trust me, I'm no where near writing them off yet, I'm just trying to figure out what our strategy is going to be. I mean Cornell gets the kids who want to wrestle and get an education. Penn State has been getting the kids because of Cael. Iowa is getting the kids because they're 3 time defending champs. What is ISU's move? And I know people make the whole Olympic talk, and I think that might work on some, but in all honesty, kids want to win a college national title first before they even think about the Olympics. If you win a national title in wrestling and decide you want to keep wrestling, hopefully trying to make the Olympics, then you finish college and head to the OTC in Colorado Springs to train there in freestyle or greco-roman. I think if in college you wrestled freestyle instead of folkstyle, then of course KJ is going to be the man, but thats not the case.

Originally posted by dosry5
    Schfinkter is smarter than he looks....

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 7

Only getting 3 All-Americans last year was bad, really bad. Especially with guys like Fanthrope, Mueller, and Reader on the team. Losing Gallick last year was a huge loss too. Now only Reader is back and he is a Senior. All of the talent Cael had stockpiled is gone and all of the excitement generated by Cael has completely left the program.

Its quite an amazing nose dive actually.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,479
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 12

My limited experience with wrestling seems to indicate that it is a coaches sport, and players just follow the coaches around with little loyalty to the school. That is probably not every wrestler, but it seems to be a lot. Wrestlers don't wrestle for a school, like football players play for Texas or Iowa State. They wrestle for their coach and only their coach.

***King of Diplomacy***

Addict
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Schfinkter View Post
    Trust me, I'm no where near writing them off yet, I'm just trying to figure out what our strategy is going to be. I mean Cornell gets the kids who want to wrestle and get an education. Penn State has been getting the kids because of Cael. Iowa is getting the kids because they're 3 time defending champs. What is ISU's move? And I know people make the whole Olympic talk, and I think that might work on some, but in all honesty, kids want to win a college national title first before they even think about the Olympics. If you win a national title in wrestling and decide you want to keep wrestling, hopefully trying to make the Olympics, then you finish college and head to the OTC in Colorado Springs to train there in freestyle or greco-roman. I think if in college you wrestled freestyle instead of folkstyle, then of course KJ is going to be the man, but thats not the case.
    Kids go to ISU probably because ISU has produced the Top 2 wrestlers of all time.

Prospect
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 279
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I wish Andrew luck at Penn State. I will defintely miss seeing him wrestle as a cyclone. I just hope he gets things turned around because Cael has a no tolerance policy when it comes to alcohol.